How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

But we already looked up the stats and found out Jack and Kane scored more when on the same line...

No! The stats say Kane scores more when partnered with Jack. Not the reverse. Of Kane 28 goals last year, 6 were set up by Jack and 4 by Reinhart. According to my research on Jack and Evander, Jack was more effective playing EVS with Foligno and Reinhart and then playing with Kane. Edited by GASabresFan

Also, fast players can play with slower players.

Ya they can, but they have to play slower. Last season, the PP worked really well with Sam and Jack because its more of a control possession type thing but at full strength jack was alone too many times. You need players that can skate at his speed so that he can come at the other team full speed. Reinhart isn't that guy. Against slower teams they would be fine together but not uptempo like Housley wants. There is no one else right now (maybe Rodrigues but that's a long shot), so we need Nylander to surprise for the time being until a new guy with real wheels comes along. 

Ya they can, but they have to play slower. Last season, the PP worked really well with Sam and Jack because its more of a control possession type thing but at full strength jack was alone too many times. You need players that can skate at his speed so that he can come at the other team full speed. Reinhart isn't that guy. Against slower teams they would be fine together but not uptempo like Housley wants. There is no one else right now (maybe Rodrigues but that's a long shot), so we need Nylander to surprise for the time being until a new guy with real wheels comes along. 

They don't have to play slower.  There are just two different people on the ice skating at different speeds and the hockeys still happens.

I disagree that Kane is a good finisher. A career shooting % of 9% is not a good finisher. In fact, of the guys last season who scored 25 or more goals, only Blake Wheeler and Ovie had worse shooting % then Kane’s career high 10.8% last season. Most were in the 13 to 14% range. Brett Burns, a defenseman, has a 9% shooting %.

Kane gets his goals by launching 300 shots a year and never looking to set up his teammates. In fact, he is a negative for Jack. Once Jack passes to him, he has zero chance of getting the puck back. Kane needs to go.

Good finisher does not necessarily mean/equate to a high shooting percentage. Kane is a good finisher because he finishes a lot of plays - I.e. He scored a bunch of goals. He's a good finisher because he is able to find a way to get that many shots on net.

Yes, we can talk about how he throws some away. But it's not exactly easy to get that many shots on net in a season, not easy at all.

Being a volume scorer works, as long as you can create that volume.

Edited by Thorny

Good finisher does not necessarily mean/equate to a high shooting percentage. Kane is a good finisher because he finishes a lot of plays - I.e. He scored a bunch of goals. He's a good finisher because he is able to find a way to get that many shots on net.

Yes, we can talk about how he throws some away. But it's not exactly easy to get that many shots on net in a season, not easy at all.

Being a volume scorer works, as long as you can create that volume.

I actually agree with this, 30ish goals it's nothing to sneeze at these days in the NHL, as for playmaking ability, I think he lacks a lot there

Well, if Kane were a 28-45-73 guy we’d be talking about $7.5MM per year or more for him.

Maybe he’s not the ideal linemate for Jack, but they’ve been pretty productive so far. And the rest of the offense is pretty constipated. I wouldn’t be in a rush to break up the only productive line.

We will argue that point forever I guess. So I'll just say this last thing, were we a playoff team last year with Jack and Sam on the same line? (go ahead, make all the excuses you want now, it doesn't matter anyway)

The deciding factor of any single aspects success should of course be what the team does as a whole.

You honestly believe he's even going to entertain an offer from the Sabres? If the team continues on this path he will laugh in their faces.

They'd have to offer me stupid money to stay there. I'm talking max contract. I'd bounce for just about anywhere else if I were him.

I used to think so too but now I think he loves being a vet on our young team. Also he doesn't have any baggage with the current GM...

I am slowly coming over to answer too, also Kane may be growing up, now if he can get John to grow up too, he hasnt earned Jack. Edited by North Buffalo

Despite Kane's excellent effort in the first three games, his playing with Jack is already causing the problem I feared.

Kane 26 shots in 3 games

Eichel 6 

Pommers 4

Kane's refusal to pass the puck is a huge problem and will continue to be a problem.  Jack is a scorer and playmaker. Pommers is a scorer, but one who has dramatically improved his passing over the years, but Kane is and remains the place that the in zone cycle goes to die.

Edited by GASabresFan

Despite Kane's excellent effort in the first three games, his playing with Jack is already causing the problem I feared.

Kane 26 shots in 3 games

Eichel 6

Pommers 4

Kane's refusal to pass the puck is a huge problem and will continue to be a problem. Jack is a scorer and playmaker. Pommers is a scorer, but one who has dramatically improved his passing over the years, but Kane is and remains the place that the in zone cycle goes to die.

Correct.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.