How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

either way, no matter what we think about Kane, he is by far the most important item on the agenda now. We MUST sign him or trade him...please Dr. JBotto don't hang to him til the end of the season and let him walk for nothing (like we did with both Briere and Drury which still angers me to this day)

I think there is a possible scenario where he walks for nothing and we still make out OK: if we're pushing for the playoffs/in the playoff mix, and he proves to be an important contributor. If we can't come to terms before July 1 and we get outbid in FA, we could possibly use that cap space to bring in another FA. With a successful season (maybe even post-season? I know, I'm too optimistic), perhaps we could draw someone else good.

I wouldn't be devastated by this scenario, although I like Kane and hope we can find a spot where he will fit and excel, and sign him.

Kane is a volume shooter. He's not a guy that is going to choose a finesse solution when there isn't a prime scoring opportunity. He's got a straight ahead speed, power game that needs him to shoot often to be successful. Asking him to shoot less, or more selectively, will reduce his effectiveness.

And s the Great One said, you miss all of the shots you don't take.

I agree with this completely. I want Kane doing what makes him good, not trying to change him. Also, why I still dislike his overall fit with Eichel.

If Kane is shooting, it means Eichel is probably the guy setting him up.

I'm for giving it a little more time.

I don't want Kane shooting. I want Kane feeding Eichel.

Watch the highlight video of all of Eichel's goals from last year. Evander Kane, in the few instances when he's even on the ice with Eichel, essentially contributes nothing to Eichel's goals.

I don't want that. I don't want Eichel feeding Kane if Kane can't feed Eichel. I need both of them to be scoring threats, but between the two, Eichel is the better shooter. If you watch Kane's goals from last year, nearly half of them are just taking out the trash or luck. And only a few have anything to do with Jack.

Jack scores when Kane isn't his winger. And Kane isn't really any better with or without Jack. There's really no reason to have them together.

But Eichel is also the much better passer between the two. I think Eichel is a better passer than he is a goal scorer. I get not wanting Kane with him as he may leech too many shots - and won't return the favour to Eichel.

But I think whoever Eichel plays with, he's going to be dishing more often than sniping.

Edited by Thorny

But Eichel is also the much better passer between the two. I think Eichel is a better passer than he is a goal scorer. I get not wanting Kane with him as he may leech too many shots - and won't return the favour to Eichel.

But I think whoever Eichel plays with, he's going to be dishing more often than sniping.

Then he should be playing with someone who actually scores on his feeds. That guy isn't Kane. They have zero chemistry, and neither makes the other better. 

Then he should be playing with someone who actually scores on his feeds. That guy isn't Kane. They have zero chemistry, and neither makes the other better.

Unfortunately, we really haven't seen anybody capable of consistently cashing his feeds. Until Pominville. Hopefully that keeps up.

I'm thinking of that nice goal Kane had in (I think the last?) preseason game. Off a feed from Jack. I've seen them work well together, but I totally get wanting to move on.

Edited by Thorny

Unfortunately, we really haven't seen anybody capable of consistently cashing his feeds. Until Pominville. Hopefully that keeps up.

I'm thinking of that nice goal Kane had in (I think the last?) preseason game. Off a feed from Jack. I've seen them work well together, but I totally get wanting to move on.

His instant chemistry with Pommers is what has me on this. Jack should basically be able to gel with anyone and it should be obvious and easy. If he's not feeding Kane for goals by now it's never going to develop.

By St. Patrick's Day 2018 Kane will be on a playoff bound team or one with realistic chances of being one.  Whether that team is the Sabres remains to be seen.  Kane is a driver in his own way.  I just think his style hampers players who see the whole ice as they are expecting him to zig when he all to often zags.

There was a play in the 3rd last night wbere Jack was on the half wall and Kane at the top of the circle by the tjme Jack could control the puck to pass Kane took off for.the corner.  Jack dumped it into open space.  Even if Kane got it down low, the scoring threat was negligible.  I notice that alot when the two are out together.

There was a play in the 3rd last night wbere Jack was on the half wall and Kane at the top of the circle by the tjme Jack could control the puck to pass Kane took off for.the corner.  Jack dumped it into open space.  Even if Kane got it down low, the scoring threat was negligible.  I notice that alot when the two are out together.

Know the exact play you're mentioning & if Kane breaks to the high slot rather than the corner he has a goal against any goalie not named Price or Holtby and possibly against either of them as well.

If they were ever going to figure each other out, it hopefully should've been by now based on the amount they played together last year. REALLY want him to be the finisher on the 3rd line. Hopefully Housley sees that soon as well.

The other thing that seemed strange last night was keeping the entire 1PP out for the 5v3 except swapping Kane in for Reinhart when Pominville would've seemed to be the better choice. (And then that revised 1PP was out for the full 1:18.)

Kane will score his 20-30 goals whether he's being centered by Jack or by Josefson, IMO.

If the lack of o-zone chemistry continues between the two, I want Kane driving his own line. 

Maybe that can coincide with a shift of Reinhart back to Eich's wing if/when scoring troubles continue.

Pominville has been good so far with Jack, so I'm not sure an Evander switch would relate in any way to Reinhart moving up to wing to play with Jack.

Rather, if Kane is going to be moved, put him on Reinhart's LW.

I would still trade Kane. I don't think he will ever be more than a fast skating trigger man. He is very predictable and a bit of a one trick pony.  Unfortunately, at this moment, we don't have enough fast skating scorers to pair anyone else with Jack at this speed.

Reinhart makes Jack play slower. At the speed Housley wants to play at they are incompatible. 

I would still trade Kane. I don't think he will ever be more than a fast skating trigger man. He is very predictable and a bit of a one trick pony. Unfortunately, at this moment, we don't have enough fast skating scorers to pair anyone else with Jack at this speed.

Reinhart makes Jack play slower. At the speed Housley wants to play at they are incompatible.

The myth of how "slow" Reinhart is has reached unprecedented heights already this season.

I'd say give Kane and Eichel more time to play in Housley's system. Yes, they've played together a lot and it'd be nice to see more chemistry, but adding Pominville to the equation adds another playmaker that Kane has to get used to vibing with on the ice. Obviously, Jack and Pommer have a natural chemistry. But the stats actually say that Kane and Eichel scored more when together on the same line last season. Having them out there at the same time, with a two-way forward like Pominville to cover for their lack of d-zone awareness, could really be a deadly threat, with their speed.

I wish it was clicking already. But I think the potential speed threat of Kane/Eichel in Housley's system is worth being patient for.

I also agree that this is an exaggeration. If you were talking about Foligno, then yes, absolutely.

I don't want Kane shooting. I want Kane feeding Eichel.

Watch the highlight video of all of Eichel's goals from last year. Evander Kane, in the few instances when he's even on the ice with Eichel, essentially contributes nothing to Eichel's goals.

I don't want that. I don't want Eichel feeding Kane if Kane can't feed Eichel. I need both of them to be scoring threats, but between the two, Eichel is the better shooter. If you watch Kane's goals from last year, nearly half of them are just taking out the trash or luck. And only a few have anything to do with Jack.

Jack scores when Kane isn't his winger. And Kane isn't really any better with or without Jack. There's really no reason to have them together.

I agree that Kane isn't much of a passer.  But he's a good finisher, his speed creates room for Eichel and his physicality does the same.  His attitude and fistic prowess also deters big hits and cheap shots on the franchise.

This too.  Jack with 32-54-86 and Kaner with 31-23-54 would be a very good outcome.

I would still trade Kane. I don't think he will ever be more than a fast skating trigger man. He is very predictable and a bit of a one trick pony.  Unfortunately, at this moment, we don't have enough fast skating scorers to pair anyone else with Jack at this speed.

Not one trick.  The goals, the sending bodies flying in front of the net and the Eichel protection are 3 very good tricks.

I'd say give Kane and Eichel more time to play in Housley's system. Yes, they've played together a lot and it'd be nice to see more chemistry, but adding Pominville to the equation adds another playmaker that Kane has to get used to vibing with on the ice. Obviously, Jack and Pommer have a natural chemistry. But the stats actually say that Kane and Eichel scored more when together on the same line last season. Having them out there at the same time, with a two-way forward like Pominville to cover for their lack of d-zone awareness, could really be a deadly threat, with their speed.

I wish it was clicking already. But I think the potential speed threat of Kane/Eichel in Housley's system is worth being patient for.

This is pretty much where I am.  Give it 15-20 games in Howie's system.

I disagree that Kane is a good finisher. A career shooting % of 9% is not a good finisher. In fact, of the guys last season who scored 25 or more goals, only Blake Wheeler and Ovie had worse shooting % then Kane’s career high 10.8% last season. Most were in the 13 to 14% range. Brett Burns, a defenseman, has a 9% shooting %.

Kane gets his goals by launching 300 shots a year and never looking to set up his teammates. In fact, he is a negative for Jack. Once Jack passes to him, he has zero chance of getting the puck back. Kane needs to go.

Edited by GASabresFan

I disagree that Kane is a good finisher. A career shooting % of 9% is not a good finisher. In fact, of the guys last season who scored 25 or more goals, only Blake Wheeler and Ovie had worse shooting % then Kane’s career high 10.8% last season. Most were in the 13 to 14% range. Brett Burns, a defenseman, has a 9% shooting %.

Kane gets his goals by launching 300 shots a year and never looking to set up his teammates. In fact, he is a negative for Jack. Once Jack passes to him, he has zero chance of getting the puck back. Kane needs to go.

But we already looked up the stats and found out Jack and Kane scored more when on the same line...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.