How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

Tooooo much tooooooo long. Do you really think he's as valuable as O'Reilly?

Also, I still doubt he wants to sign an extension with us.

I'd rather do a 6x6 deal but to be honest this is what I think he'll command in free agency. I don't think he'll sign for much less than this.

I'd offer him 7 years at 7.5 per. Too much? Too long? Apologies if a similar thread already exists.

I'll burn Botterill in effigy if he hands Kane a contract remotely like this. If this is what the market dictates is necessary (I don't think it is), you let him walk. Simple as that. He's a nice piece, but he's not a "retain at all costs" piece.

I'll burn Botterill in effigy if he hands Kane a contract remotely like this. If this is what the market dictates is necessary (I don't think it is), you let him walk trade him at the deadline. Simple as that. He's a nice piece, but he's not a "retain at all costs" piece.

fify

Good idea, I'm trying to figure out how to put the poll in..

OK, now you're messing with me.  Talking about Kane's extension and now trying to figure out how to put the pole in.

Edited by Tondas

go 3-4 years at more $$$

no way he signs anything now he could be a huge free agent in the off season the type people over pay for.

They should sign or trade him now... they are one injury away from losing out on a valuable asset...it seems very risky to keep him unsigned IMO

go 3-4 years at more $$$

no way he signs anything now he could be a huge free agent in the off season the type people over pay for.

They should sign or trade him now... they are one injury away from losing out on a valuable asset...it seems very risky to keep him unsigned IMO

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if it was unanimous on this board that whatever it is that we would all individually offer, it won't be enough to sign him. Kane hitting free agency is basically inevitable, which is why he should be traded while return is high and without risk. I'd like to keep him, but I don't think we will get any type of discount whatsoever. 

7 and 6.5 was my vote ...

Drunkard ......... :beer:

Kane brings what no other Sabre can and very few in the league do. He will be a very important piece when the Sabres become contenders again.

Definitely. Plus he's only 25 so a 7 year extension would only make him 33 by the end of the deal.

7 and 6.5 was my vote ... 

Drunkard .........  :beer:

Kane brings what no other Sabre can and very few in the league do.  He will be a very important piece when the Sabres become contenders again.

I'm not convinced he wants to be here plus long term will he have more off ice issues. His talent has not been questioned but he becomes high risk long term because last year may not be what you get on ice over seven years and off ice and team wise I'm concerned.

Let me pose the question like this; if you were to extend him, how much and what term?

As others have stated, you should edit the OP so it asks what the max term and dollars you would offer Kane if you were GM.  I would also include the caveat that if it's less than 6 years or less than $5.75MM per year, Kane is almost certain to leave.

$5.5Mx5 is my max. I'd be shocked if that's enough.

I think this thread needs a poll for dollars and years people are willing to go.

I too would be surprised (and thrilled) if he accepted that deal.

Do you think he might want to play this year under new GM, new coach, and new system, then if he likes the style of play want to resign with us?

IMHO he will be looking for the biggest pile of guaranteed $$ he can get, which means long term.

I don't overstate his off ice whathaveyous like many in the media, but if you told me there was a CBA-kosher method of dropping a contract in case of legal disaster, I would be more adamant about max term and fair pay. He's a special player that can contribute at a championship level, but I don't want to risk hamstringing the team cap for years because a bar room brawl went south.

Make no mistake, he should be a Sabre, but some assurance somewhere for the good of the team would be nice.

If we could truly get a player of Vatanens caliber for him we'd be wise to do that, complete the D, concentrate on forwards in the Draft and FA. We aren't getting Kane for some bogus 3-4 year deal, this dude is all about money, just look at his instagram, I hope they trade him before the deadline, we can do some line changing if need be with the players we already have but Kane should be traded by now unless were not able to get the D man were looking for, for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.