How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

Yes, the deadline market has been turning the other way for a while now. I think Murray found that out the hard way. 

Last year a number of teams tried to move bodies and were left holding on to them as prices dropped at the deadline rather than going up like in the past. cap issues are certainly a factor, but probably the younger GMs have more build from your own system mentalities now.

It's one of the main reasons I would consider keeping Kane as our own "rental" should we find ourselves in the playoff hunt, and still not looking to sign Kane long-term.

Deadline hauls for rentals have decreased, and I'd probably rather have Kane for a stretch run than say, a 2nd round pick.

Yes, the deadline market has been turning the other way for a while now. I think Murray found that out the hard way. 

Last year a number of teams tried to move bodies and were left holding on to them as prices dropped at the deadline rather than going up like in the past. cap issues are certainly a factor, but probably the younger GMs have more build from your own system mentalities now.

Last year had a huge anomaly in the expansion draft.

There is somethings to consider, the top 8 teams league wide on the list has stabilized for the most part and their management teams aren't really making any commitments outside of deadline rentals as they all appear comfortable with their cores.

Bubble teams, that 9 - 16 league wide range, they are looking for the Kane type players. They don't have to wait for an extension and pay less because of that. Plus a Kane type player may propel them a bit in the playoff picture.

The bottom 14 teams I fully expect interested in Reinhart type deals.

We should see some loosening of the tight market on moves exampled above now that the expansion draft has come and gone.

As for Buffalo, don't expect Moulson or Okposo to move. Pegulas are firmly committed to showing the league that the Sabres organization respects the players wishes, further making Buffalo an appealing destination. The winning will come in time, the culture and environment surrounding the organization is already well underway and has been for some time now.

As someone who lives in that market, the fans would riot

I've been rioting ever since we traded Boeser for Lehner (which is what we effectively did). 

Ben Hutton is the Vancouver name bandied about as part of it. 

... along with their first? Because Ben Hutton doesn't move the needle much for me if at all. Ben Hutton would be part of the cash dump vancouver does to make it work and nothing more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dreger - Kane is playing really well right now. Unless there is an offer that blows him away, Botterill is content with keeping Kane for now

it, why not. One of what? 4 players actually doing anything? Might have to flip flop hard here and jump on the keep him wagon. Though with how bad our defense is...

I fear and dread Botto will hang onto Kane then we lose him to UFA next summer and get absolutely nothing for him like we did with both drury and Biere. Losing those two and getting nothing back still haunts this team. Imagine the return we could have got for those two at the trade deadline. We absolutely must either resign or trade Kane. Trading him will leave this lineup with a huge hole to fill but we should be able to get a good return. I prefer signing but that maybe not doable nor may kane wish to sign here (kinda couldn;t blame him if he didn't)...

Edited by Sabre fan

Here's the thing with Kane that nobody talks about: he is playing well, in the role he wants, with teammates he seems to have pretty good relationships with. He knows what it's like to be in the opposite situation.

I think he's very open to staying.

Here's the other thing. Botterill is an asset manager. He is not going to sign him to a stupid contract and he is not going to let him walk if he could acquire assets instead.

I think he's traded because Botterill will decide he doesn't want to invest market value and Kane won't offer him a discount.

If the Sabres somehow are in the playoff race at the deadline, that will complicate things considerably.

Edited by dudacek

###### it, why not. One of what? 4 players actually doing anything? Might have to flip flop hard here and jump on the keep him wagon. Though with how bad our defense is...

Don’t do it. Stand your ground.

Here's the thing with Kane that nobody talks about: he is playing well, in the role he wants, with teammates he seems to have pretty good relationships with. He knows what it's like to be in the opposite situation.

I think he's very open to staying.

Here's the other thing. Botterill is an asset manager. He is not going to sign him to a stupid contract and he is not going to let him walk if he could acquire assets instead.

I think he's traded because Botterill will decide he doesn't want to invest market value and can won't offer him a discount.

If the Sabres somehow are in the playoff race at the deadline, that will complicate things considerably.

I think this is the deal in a nutshell.

I think Kane has a higher ceiling than people think. I think he is coach-able by someone like Housley (with a system that fits his game), and his awareness of his line-mates is improving. And him and Eichel are friends, off-the-ice.

I think he's grown up and out of all of his past "issues," and he's going to mature as a player because of it.

Kane was terrific in the half of the AZ game that I saw (which was the good half) and has had a very strong year so far.  If his teammates like him and if he works hard in practice -- neither of which we have any idea about -- I want to keep him.

Here's a question:  would the Sabres offer Kane $7.5MM x 4 years? 

And would Kane take it?

Kane was terrific in the half of the AZ game that I saw (which was the good half) and has had a very strong year so far.  If his teammates like him and if he works hard in practice -- neither of which we have any idea about -- I want to keep him.

Here's a question:  would the Sabres offer Kane $7.5MM x 4 years? 

And would Kane take it?

In answer to your questions ... 

Yes. And yes.

Kane was terrific in the half of the AZ game that I saw (which was the good half) and has had a very strong year so far. If his teammates like him and if he works hard in practice -- neither of which we have any idea about -- I want to keep him.

Here's a question: would the Sabres offer Kane $7.5MM x 4 years?

And would Kane take it?

I'm not sure if the Sabres would offer it, but I think Kane would take it. Lines him up for another good contract.

And I'm pretty sure I'd rather pay him that contract than something like $6m x7.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.