How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

There was a prospect involved as well. So in the scenario it would be Hanzal (so hot right now) for a 1st and a prospect.

The hypothetical choice between ROR and Kane is an interesting one, though, if we are in a position where we can only afford to keep one.

Ultimately I think I come down on the side that says we need that centre, but Kane has been a better player this season. Kane is a better winger this year than ROR has been a centre, but centres are more valuable.

Imagine the scenario where Sam Reinhart was emerging as a top 2 centre right now, what he was drafted to be. Much easier choice to make.

Kane has certainly been the better player this season, but I'm not sure we should discard the previous two where O'Reilly was clearly superior. And 100% agreed on Reinhart. Had he developed into a true #2C, the conversation may be different. Though in that scenario, O'Reilly on the wing would be dreamy.

Ultimately, I don't think we have to choose between Kane and O'Reilly for monetary reasons. Which could better be used in a trade to build the team is an interesting question, however.

Kane has certainly been the better player this season, but I'm not sure we should discard the previous two where O'Reilly was clearly superior. And 100% agreed on Reinhart. Had he developed into a true #2C, the conversation may be different. Though in that scenario, O'Reilly on the wing would be dreamy.

Ultimately, I don't think we have to choose between Kane and O'Reilly for monetary reasons. Which could better be used in a trade to build the team is an interesting question, however.

Very interesting. It's a question for which I could be swayed to either side based on a compelling argument.

I'm not one who thinks ROR in an unmoveable contract. On the contrary, he was viewed as a Team Canada-level centre heading into this season (and that's not easy to be), and he's still relatively young, with what I still consider to be a non-outrageous cap hit. Plenty of GMs would be all too willing write off his struggles this season as due to being in "that losing environment".

But what does Botterill think? Maybe he's asking for a knock-your-socks off offer for Kane because he intends to keep him and move ROR all else being equal.

Who knows, but I'm actually relatively angst-free on the issue as I trust Botterill's judgment. That may be naive, but he exudes a sense of deliberation and patience and intelligence that I find to be soothing.

Who knows, but I'm actually relatively angst-free on the issue as I trust Botterill's judgment. That may be naive, but he exudes a sense of deliberation and patience and intelligence that I find to be soothing.

Buffalo sports angst led me to the point where I was actually celebrating when we signed Moulson. I share this confidence in Botterill, though (and McDermott as well, tbh). Hopefully we're not kidding ourselves

Edited by erickompositör72

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.