Sabres sign Pouliot to 1 yr 1.15 M Deal

Brawndo

I think it would be a mistake to play Reino at center. He's become a net front presence but that is a hard place to play when you're a center. You need to be up and down the half wall and behind the net and get back on D. I don't see that happening. 

With no respect to what wings people play.

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart 

Okposo - O'Reilly - Pominville 

Pouliot - Larsson - Moulson

Some Mix of Girgensons, Rodrigues, Bailey, Fasching, Josefson, Deslauries

I'd still like to get rid of Moulson and Add a top 6 winger to force Pommers down to third line, but it doesn't look like that's happening. 

So basically we got a few more points guy, with much less toughness? Not impressed with this deal. Unfortunately Benoit doesn't bring the "balls" Marcus had.

Nope

I agree, but I am also OK with Foligno being the price for Scandella.

He's a middle six forward signed for 1 year almost at the league minimum at a position the Sabres are in desperate need for some depth.

He has played fewer than 70 games 4 of the last 5 seasons and he's now on the 4th one year contract of his career.

He was bought out of the only multi-year contract he signed in that span.

As a stop gap, he fills a hole and that's fine.

Pardon me if I manage to temper my excitement.

He has played fewer than 70 games 4 of the last 5 seasons and he's now on the 4th one year contract of his career.

Oh I don't think there is much to get excited about but if he is better than Cal O'Reilly I'll call it a win.

Eeeeeeesshhh.

"Benoit Pouliot

It’s important to acknowledge that Pouliot was not a good player for the Oilers in 2016-17. It’s also important to note what an aberration that was.

Pouliot has long been pigeonholed as a bottom-six player, and thus limited in terms of how much he played. But on a per-minute basis, he’s always been a highly effective scorer, which can be a sign of a player who has been underappreciated.

Over the seven seasons between 2009 and 2016, Pouliot scored 2.0 points/hour in 5-on-5 situations. That ranks 56th in the NHL over that span, a number a little better than Mats Zuccarello and a little bit worse than Alex Steen.

It’s possible Pouliot’s scoring rate would have dipped with more ice-time, but that’s not what happened in his first two years in Edmonton, the first time in his career he got that opportunity. He scored 1.9 and 2.1 points/hour, respectively, in 2014-15 and 2015-16. He was also on-pace to easily top 20 goals both years when injury made that impossible.

That’s not all. Prior to 2016-17, Pouliot’s on-ice shot metrics were superior to his team’s average for seven consecutive seasons. His on-ice goal numbers were superior to the team average in six of those seven seasons. His teams do a better job of outshooting and outscoring their opponents when he’s out there.

In short, Pouliot delivers genuine offensive punch and has been part of effective two-way lines for virtually his entire NHL career. He definitely deserves a chance to show that last season was a bump in the road, and the team that bets on him could get a very good player for pennies on the dollar." http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2017-ufa-bargain-bin-four-players-analytics-identify-value-adds/

Interesting to note here that some on here love to go on about how important draft picks are...here we have Benoit Pouliot drafted 4th overall by Minnesota way back in 2005, and then we add Jacob Josefson who was drafted by New Jersey 20th overall in 2009. Both were highly regarded in their draft years yet neither really panned out as expected. Just shows that just because they are highly touted or regarded by the "experts" drafting can be a real hit-and-miss thing. I do think though both were good signings...

Let's put it this way.  If he's helping the Sabres into the playoffs that's good.  If he's playing very well and the Sabres still need work then he's a deadline asset.  If he bombs then they move on after the season.

Where's the downside here?

Interesting to note here that some on here love to go on about how important draft picks are...here we have Benoit Pouliot drafted 4th overall by Minnesota way back in 2005, and then we add Jacob Josefson who was drafted by New Jersey 20th overall in 2009. Both were highly regarded in their draft years yet neither really panned out as expected. Just shows that just because they are highly touted or regarded by the "experts" drafting can be a real hit-and-miss thing. I do think though both were good signings...

See also:  Grigorenko.

Let's put it this way.  If he's helping the Sabres into the playoffs that's good.  If he's playing very well and the Sabres still need work then he's a deadline asset.  If he bombs then they move on after the season.

Where's the downside here?

You forgot one option:  If he's a total tire fire, he can be waived and his roster spot given to an Amerk.

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.