Sabres sign Pouliot to 1 yr 1.15 M Deal

Brawndo

See also:  Grigorenko.

You forgot one option:  If he's a total tire fire, he can be waived and his roster spot given to an Amerk.

and of course good old Nail Yakupov, taken 1st overall...there's been some pretty bad top picks including...Alexandre Daigle, 1993 1st overall, Ottawa Senators, Patrik Stefan, 1999 1st overall, Atlanta Thrashers, Pavel Brendl, 1999 4th overall, NY Rangers, Rick DiPietro, 2000 1st overall, NY Islanders, Brian Lawton, 1983 1st overall, Minnesota, Hugh Jessiman, 2003 12th overall, NY Rangers, Scott Scissons, 1990 6th overall, NY Islanders, Alexandre Volchkov, 1996 4th overall, Washington Capitals,Nikita Filatov, 2008 6th overall, Columbus Blue Jackets, Al Montoya, 2004 6th overall, New York Ranger.

There is many more really bad picks that at the time were thought to be "sure things"...

and of course good old Nail Yakupov, taken 1st overall...there's been some pretty bad top picks including...Alexandre Daigle, 1993 1st overall, Ottawa Senators, Patrik Stefan, 1999 1st overall, Atlanta Thrashers, Pavel Brendl, 1999 4th overall, NY Rangers, Rick DiPietro, 2000 1st overall, NY Islanders, Brian Lawton, 1983 1st overall, Minnesota, Hugh Jessiman, 2003 12th overall, NY Rangers, Scott Scissons, 1990 6th overall, NY Islanders, Alexandre Volchkov, 1996 4th overall, Washington Capitals,Nikita Filatov, 2008 6th overall, Columbus Blue Jackets, Al Montoya, 2004 6th overall, New York Ranger.

There is many more really bad picks that at the time were thought to be "sure things"...

At least 1/2 of the players on that list were never considered "sure things."

At least 1/2 of the players on that list were never considered "sure thing

Of course they were or they would not have been drafted 1st overall or in the first round. I am not denying that there was also some pretty bad scouting and these GM's certainly failed but these guys, along with Gregorenko and Yakupov and so many others were absolutely thought to be "sure things" or they would never have been drafted so high 

Of course they were or they would not have been drafted 1st overall or in the first round. I am not denying that there was also some pretty bad scouting and these GM's certainly failed but these guys, along with Gregorenko and Yakupov and so many others were absolutely thought to be "sure things" or they would never have been drafted so high

No, they weren't. The NHL draft has always been a crapshoot, though it's getting better in the age of analytics.

At a minimum none of Brendl, DiPietro, Jessiman, Scissions, Volchkov, & Montoya were considered sure things (by anyone but the Aisles management @ any rate ;)), & pretty sure a LOT of eyebrows were raised when Lawton was taken. Just because they went in the 1st does not mean they were sure things.

The NHL draft is not & has never been the NFL nor the NBA draft. It's a LOT closer to the MLB draft.

i have to think that A> DiPietro would have been worth a first *round* pick if he had stayed healthy, and B> should be the top response to anyone suggesting a team draft based on need. I imagine it going like this:

• Poster1: At #10, Alexei Rachmaninoff (C ) and Brodiee Sutter (LW) will probably be the best two players available, we should draft one of them; I prefer Alexai but either is fine.
  • Poster2: We should draft Gord Luckachuk at #10, because we need a D
  • Poster1: We should draft the best player, we can trade a successful prospect for another if needed.
  • Poster2: No, we need D
  • Poster1: DiPietro
  • Poster2: Oh, you're right. Carry on.
Edited by MattPie

The NHL draft is not & has never been the NFL nor the NBA draft. It's a LOT closer to the MLB draft.

The similarity between MLB and NHL is that the draftees are truly prospects that in the vast majority of cases need further development before they're ready for the big leagues.  In the case of NBA and NFL, most prospects are drafted at the end of college.  The truly exceptional cases come out earlier, but it's well established who those exceptions are.  In baseball and hockey, the prospects are typically 4 years younger than most of the NBA and NFL draftees.  College, in essence, is the "farm system" for the NBA and NFL, and most players aren't picked until they've been well seasoned in that system.

I saw a youtube clip of the TSN crew making comments about Pouliot taking a lot of stupid penalties, is this a concern? I haven't heard this anywhere else though..

Yup Edmonton fans said he takes lots in the offensive zone. The dude is signed for 1 million for a year, nothing is a concern with him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.