Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Everybody pause and bask in the fact that we get to have this discussion about a Sabres player.

Nice, that's quite the pleasant reminder. Good stuff. Great position to be in, indeed. Can't say I've been a Sabres fan for such a Sabres skater in my lifetime. Hasek, of course.

But for skaters...the best I'd seen before Eichel would have been Lafontaine and Mogilny, and it's skewed because I was pretty young at the time. What I saw of them, while great players, they didn't seem to have the potential to be Art Ross players. Keeping in mind I don't remember 92/93 very well. Eichel has that potential.

For us old timers, imagine what a Gilbert Perreault negotiation would look like in today's world. Gil at 21 years old.

Now that is a thought... Gil would have blown McDavid outta the water imo as much as I think McDavid is incredible.  Not sure who is comparable and guys aren't able to skate up the middle like he once did, but think more Patrick Kane with McDavid's drive and toughness or Crosby's toughness in this last playoff run.

According to My NHL Rumors 

Bucky Gleason of the Buffalo News: Sabres center Jack Eichel is eligible to sign a long-term contract extension this offseason. Ideally the sides would get a deal done this offseason so it wouldn’t become a distraction during the season. Eichel talks will be a little more complex than the talks the Edmonton Oilers and Connor McDavid went through.

Sabres GM Jason Botterill recently said that talks will continue throughout the offseason.

The Sabres would likely want to sign Eichel to an eight-year deal, buying four years of unrestricted free agency. He wouldn’t be in the McDavid money range – $12.5 million cap hit – but it will cost a lot.

If Eichel wanted a four-year deal, he would be a UFA at 25 years old. It’s not known what he’s looking for in term and salary.

[Gleason] guessing on term and salary ranges – four years at $34 million, six years at $54 million and eight years at $90 million.

I think Bucky needs to take a hike

Seems like Bucky is speculating as to what Jack will ask for.  If that's the case then I think he is correct.

Mr. Smell (I believe you have retired from the Bench?) is probably accurate in his 8 for 10 and 80 million contract offered by the Sabres.

I expect the agreement will be exactly in the middle ... 8 years for 85 million ... 10.625 cap hit / year with as much in upfront bonus $ as the CBA will allow.

A 5 or 6 year deal is so stupid

Almost as stupid as a 4 year deal.

8 years at 90M seems like ... a lot?

I'd been thinking 8 years would 80 or less. Maybe high 70s if lots is paid as bonus.

Seems like Bucky is speculating as to what Jack will ask for.  If that's the case then I think he is correct.

Mr. Smell (I believe you have retired from the Bench?) is probably accurate in his 8 for 10 and 80 million contract offered by the Sabres.

I expect the agreement will be exactly in the middle ... 8 years for 85 million ... 10.625 cap hit / year with as much in upfront bonus $ as the CBA will allow.

Looks like the numbers are becoming more realistic. I'm here as well. It'll be at least 80 mil, ceiling of 90. 85 would be a good guess.

I'm more and more coming around to the idea that he'll be our $10M man.

If we are to believe the rumours that talks are going very well for BOTH sides, it leads me to believe it's going to be something like $10M.

Can't see why Jack would be happy and pleased without it being double digits. And I can't see Botts and co. being happy getting much closer than that to the $12.5 McDavid number when Connor has an Art Ross.

A nice reminder of just how elite Jack's shot is: the best of the best.

I watched that this morning.  I drew two conclusions:  (1) you're right, his shot really is amazing; (2) (YOU ALL WILL HATE ME FOR THIS) RJ has kind of become a caricature of himself.  He still describes games really, really well.  Probably the best in the business.  But it's become over the top when the Sabs score.

I watched that this morning. I drew two conclusions: (1) you're right, his shot really is amazing; (2) (YOU ALL WILL HATE ME FOR THIS) RJ has kind of become a caricature of himself. He still describes games really, really well. Probably the best in the business. But it's become over the top when the Sabs score.

Yep its super forced and contrived. I'm sure the tank years sucked the emotion out of him, I know it did for me.

The only goal I can recall feeling enthusiastic about Rick's call was the Eichel OT winner.

Edited by inkman

I watched that this morning.  I drew two conclusions:  (1) you're right, his shot really is amazing; (2) (YOU ALL WILL HATE ME FOR THIS) RJ has kind of become a caricature of himself.  He still describes games really, really well.  Probably the best in the business.  But it's become over the top when the Sabs score.

Agree 123% on both points.

I watched that this morning. I drew two conclusions: (1) you're right, his shot really is amazing; (2) (YOU ALL WILL HATE ME FOR THIS) RJ has kind of become a caricature of himself. He still describes games really, really well. Probably the best in the business. But it's become over the top when the Sabs score.

I don't even think he calls the games well, to be honest. He's too often falling behind the play and flubbing the names.

*ducks*

My goodness, WHAT WHAT WHAT? These are very bold statements. I leave for an ARMS session on switch, come back to an RJ bashing. Keep it up and I'm changing my profile pic to RJ in his defense.

Seriously guys, my eyes are rolling; as in top shelf where momma hides the cookies. Love RJ!

My goodness, WHAT WHAT WHAT? These are very bold statements. I leave for an ARMS session on switch, come back to an RJ bashing. Keep it up and I'm changing my profile pic to RJ in his defense.

Seriously guys, my eyes are rolling; as in top shelf where momma hides the cookies. Love RJ!

Take RJ away from these games last year and I have absolutely zero reason to watch

I was just watching that video after visiting this thread yesterday. I still cant get over the OT winner from Kane against Carolina.

That was an awesome goal. My favorite is also one I'm fuzzy about. Hoping for some better minds to fill the gaps.

Jack took a pass in the offensive zone a the top of the face off circle. He quickly glided to his left (I think) fired a shot on goal and finding the upper corner. 

But what made that ply remarkable is from a rear angle, the shot curved from right to left before finding the back of the net. It looked like it curved a good foot. He actually shot a curve ball with a hockey puck.

The goalie was just stunned it went on.