Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

Jacks agent can't even reasonably cite McDavids contract as a comparable. 8x9 and everyone should be happy.

I definitely still have hope for less than 10 million dollars.

Me too. Holding out for $9M.

He will get less than $9 over eight.

Yeah I think $8.5 is the magic number

Boys, boys, there's no way! Adjust your expectations while you still have time, to avoid disappointment! Not a shade below 10. Bank on it.

If Thorny can do it why not a hot shot agent.

Maybe Thorny is Jack's agent?

;)

I think McDavid's contract is a great comparable. Comparing the two doesn't mean they are equal players.

I like the 80% marker.

Edited by Thorny

Boys, boys, there's no way! Adjust your expectations while you still have time, to avoid disappointment! Not a shade below 10. Bank on it.

I think the only one who will genuinely be disappointed is Dudacek. Hell, his posts on the matter have foreshadowed a breakdown like he had when Murray was fired :p

There is interesting talk out there about how McDavid's contract may represent a change in terms of what GMs are paying for -- i.e., NOT past performance.

Is this being discussed upthread?

Anyway. It made me think Eichel will be signed at closer to (maybe at) $10M.

There is interesting talk out there about how McDavid's contract may represent a change in terms of what GMs are paying for -- i.e., NOT past performance.

Honestly, McDavid's contract may be the largest, but I think that mentality had been shifting for awhile. See: the case of the vanishing bridge contract.

What's the upside to giving Jack $10 million now?

Will he be demanding $12 next summer if we don't?

If he wants $10, let him prove he's worth it.

There is a lot of risk at $10 for the Sabres.

What if he is Eric Staal, not Patrick Kane?

Then we're in for an uphill slog whether he's getting 8, 9, or 10.

We're screwed 

You sign a guy early because you are betting you will save money down the road.

Again, if you are Jason Botterill why would you give Jack $10 million now instead of using this year to see if he's worth it and signing him next summer? Eight million, sure.

You sign a guy early because you are betting you will save money down the road.

Again, if you are Jason Botterill why would you give Jack $10 million now instead of using this year to see if he's worth it and signing him next summer? Eight million, sure.

If he puts up McDavid numbers or close to it this year you end up paying McDavid money anyways.  Sign him now for slightly less and if he does produce the AAV will be a bargain in 3 years. Also, TO will extend Matthews next year and that may drive up the market as well.  I think 9 is fair but I can see if Bots paid a bit more.

Honestly that's the last thing I'd be concerned about. Eichel's gonna be a superstar.

Well, since McDavid did give a discount of about 8 million from what was originally quoted, Jack should do the same.

So, lets do that ... 8 x 10 = 80 million.  Apply the 8 million discount and we have 8 years 72 million ... 8 years at 9 million per.

100 mil was after discount. So Jack's 80 would be as well. 

Just because he threw it out there doesn't mean it would be successful in a contract extension negotiation.

Of course it does. I know everything, didn't you get the memo?

Good point, that's what I'm thinking. Although True is right that it's been trending that way for a while.

Is a bridge still likely for Sam?

To the bolded: yes. If you believe in Jack, it's a good way to save 2 mil against the cap for 8 seasons.

That's right.  Now I'm convinced you are Jack's agent.

And ... no.  No bridge for Sam.

#nohometowndiscount

So, a long term extension for Sam, or are you thinking no extenstion at all?

To the bolded: yes. If you believe in Jack, it's a good way to save 2 mil against the cap for 8 seasons.

You realize $8 million is already a huge bump over all his peers, and $10 would make him top five highest paid players in the league?

But I agree, if you believe he is OV/Crosby level, it is a good move.

It's nice to know so many of you are that confident in his abilities.

You realize $8 million is already a huge bump over all his peers, and $10 would make him top five highest paid players in the league?

But I agree, if you believe he is OV/Crosby level, it is a good move.

It's nice to know so many of you are that confident in his abilities.

Well, is McDavid worth almost 50% more than Sid? No chance. But salaries go up over time. Crosby and Ovi certainly sign for more today if this is when their contracts had been up.

If McDavid is a 12.5 mil player, Jack is a 10 mil player. They said Connor could have asked for the max, 15 mil. Jack at 2/3rds the max is fine by me.

The numbers Jack put up last year, p/gp wise, coming off that injury, combined with his ceiling, place him beyond comparables like Gaudreau and Tarasenko.

Ask yourselves, if you were in the GM chair: where do you slot Eichel relative to Tarasenko and McDavid? Realistically, it's somewhere in the middle in terms of value. Tarasenko is at 7.5 and McDavid is at 12.5.

10 mil is comfortably in the middle.

Edited by Thorny