Sabres interested in Kevin Shattenkirk...yes or no?

Sabre fan

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do we sign Kevin Shattenkirk?

• Yes...go after him at any cost
    • No...too expensive
    • Only if we can clear major salary off
    • he is over-rated and not worth the money but maybe at a lower price

:D

This post is priceless, thank you for the drink coming out my nose :)

Heh, you're welcome. On paper, both those guys had enough demonstrable potential and they were gonna fill major gaps. And somehow, it all fell to . And I don't know what we could've done differently (besides maybe not force Leino to play center, which he had played in juniors).

The extension he reportedly turned down during the season was 7 years, $42M. That's right about what I think he'd get on the open market. Last year I wanted Yandle, who got 7 years, $44.5M.

Yandle was coming off seasons of 53, 52, and 47 points. He was 29 years old when signed.

Shattenkirk is coming off seasons of 44, 44, 56 points. He is 28 years old.

It's one of those two-sided contracts. Do I want a 50 point Dman added to our offensively challenged blue line? Hell yeah. Do I want to pay Shatty $6M when he's 35? Hell no. Would I take the production now and deal with the latter when the time comes? Probably, because good teams find a way to make those things work and I'm hoping to become a good team.

The extension he reportedly turned down during the season was 7 years, $42M. That's right about what I think he'd get on the open market. Last year I wanted Yandle, who got 7 years, $44.5M.

Yandle was coming off seasons of 53, 52, and 47 points. He was 29 years old when signed.

Shattenkirk is coming off seasons of 44, 44, 56 points. He is 28 years old.

It's one of those two-sided contracts. Do I want a 50 point Dman added to our offensively challenged blue line? Hell yeah. Do I want to pay Shatty $6M when he's 35? Hell no. Would I take the production now and deal with the latter when the time comes? Probably, because good teams find a way to make those things work and I'm hoping to become a good team.

This

I'm big on Shattenkirk, but I'm not willing to overpay unless we could clear off a bad contract.

Isn't that Pegula's job??? You must have received a pretty sweet deal in Ohio to even think of it...........   :P  :P

4 years max and I still think we'd be better off looking elsewhere for D help. I actually think Alzner would be a better fit. Brendan Smith received a big $ contract. Alzner's better, but how much and again for how long?

Why do you think Alzner is a better fit for what Housley wants to do than Shattenkirk? To my eye, Alzner is the antithesis of what we want to pay for.

Why do you think Alzner is a better fit for what Housley wants to do than Shattenkirk? To my eye, Alzner is the antithesis of what we want to pay for.

Somebody who is defensively aware.  If Alzner can play for Barry Trotz in Wash, I can't see why he wouldn't also do well with another former Nashville coach in Wowie.

Somebody who is defensively aware. If Alzner can play for Barry Trotz in Wash, I can't see why he wouldn't also do well with another former Nashville coach in Wowie.

But Alzner doesn't have the right skills. He's neither a great skater nor passer, both skills valuable for Housley. Brendan Smith would've been a much better add because he brings those things while also being solid defensively. Alzner isn't going to help the breakout, he's not going to help flip the ice, and he's not going to help on the attack. His in-zone defensive value, while real, is not worth what he's going to make.

Edit: You think he's better than Smith, who got $4.35x4. How much better is Alzner to you? $5x5?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

No thanks to Shattenkirk. He'll be expensive and he's not the right age. By them time we're actually seriously contending for the Cup, his value (performance per cap hit) will likely be low (definitely lower than now). We need to shed these types of contracts, not add them.

Shattenkirk wouldn't work here, he and Risto were 1&2 on D PP points a lot of last year which tells me we'd just be cannibalizing points we already have for the most part.

Play em together. Nothing wrong with having a good second unit:

Jack ROR Moulson (Vanek) Risto Shat

Sam Kyle Kane (Ennis) Beaulieu Antipin

Play em together. Nothing wrong with having a good second unit:

Jack ROR Moulson (Vanek) Risto Shat

Sam Kyle Kane (Ennis) Beaulieu Antipin

Don't do that.  Don't put two righties on the power play point.

If anything thing run one each on PP1 and PP2 and utilize them the same way.

But don't put them together if you want to have good puck movement and quick point shots.

NET

Vanek            xxxxx

Jack                         ROR

Risto

And then

NET

Matty Mo?

Sam                                       Kyle

Antipin's spot          

Shatty               Antipin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.