Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

F Cancer. 

I did see Emrick say he underwent successful surgery and is expected back for the Olympics so that's pretty awesome.

Random stat from like a month ago, but in their first 20 games together, the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak combo for the Bruins were not on the ice for a goal against.

Also, Kucherov is the only thing between Marchand and a legitimate argument for best winger in the NHL.

Neither of them a hyped prospect, and, in Marchand’s case, not in that conversation at all until what, his eighth year? We need some of that. It’s like Asplund and Reinhart going from where they are now to that level in three or four years. Edited by Mick O’Manly

I'm starting to read Orr: My Story. So like other hockey books, I went straight to the index to see if there was any reference to Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin and the Sabres.

Sorry to tell you this, there is not one reference in the whole book to Gilbert Perreault or the Sabres. It's as if Perreault and the Sabres never existed to Bobby Orr. Totally insignificant.

This says something to me. Sure the mid 70s were the Sabres golden years but maybe by then, Orr's knees were shot. Also unsaid is that maybe Perreault and the Sabres were really insignificant when it came to NHL history and because they're ours, we pump their tires. But maybe we're blind as to how good they were...

Not very.

I love Gil ("my career could have been better") Perreault. I lived near him and he once drove up in my driveway while we were playing street hockey, to ask whether I knew someone who has a tractor lawnmower to cut his lawn. I didn't know anyone and he just left. 

But he didn't walk in history with his teammates. Further, I don't think he deserves a statue and neither does Rick Martin and certainly not Rene Robert. When push came to shove, these guys got shoved out of the way and you don't make statues for guys like that.

It's just more of that Mr. Softee Pegula's pet projects that ring so hollow.

Edited by Marvelo

I'm starting to read Orr: My Story. So like other hockey books, I went straight to the index to see if there was any reference to Gilbert Perreault, Rick Martin and the Sabres.

Sorry to tell you this, there is not one reference in the whole book to Gilbert Perreault or the Sabres. It's as if Perreault and the Sabres never existed to Bobby Orr. Totally insignificant.

This says something to me. Sure the mid 70s were the Sabres golden years but maybe by then, Orr's knees were shot. Also unsaid is that maybe Perreault and the Sabres were really insignificant when it came to NHL history and because they're ours, we pump their tires. But maybe we're blind as to how good they were...

Not very.

74-75 was Orr's last full season.  We were an insignificant blip in his career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.