Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Eriksson Ek is like Rasmus Asplund with offensive abilities. Kaprizov is matching Tarasenko's KHL performance at a similar age, and will be an NHL superstar when he comes over, as he's already a KHL superstar at age 20, winning Olympic Gold Medals and such. 

We have Casey Mittelstadt, who is great but whose college production doesn't even pass Kunin, who I didn't mention, Nylander, who's got 17 goals since being drafted two seasons ago and is getting benched for not caring, and a bunch of junk that any other team can lay claim to having. 

It's an easy choice. 

And Jack Eichel and Rasmus Ristolainen, who was drafted a month after I became old enough to vote (I have been able to legally drink for over two years now), are not prospects by any measure. 

:sick:

Eriksson Ek is like Rasmus Asplund with offensive abilities. Kaprizov is matching Tarasenko's KHL performance at a similar age, and will be an NHL superstar when he comes over, as he's already a KHL superstar at age 20, winning Olympic Gold Medals and such. 

We have Casey Mittelstadt, who is great but whose college production doesn't even pass Kunin, who I didn't mention, Nylander, who's got 17 goals since being drafted two seasons ago and is getting benched for not caring, and a bunch of junk that any other team can lay claim to having. 

It's an easy choice. 

And Jack Eichel and Rasmus ###### Ristolainen, who was drafted a month after I became old enough to vote (I have been able to legally drink for over two years now), are not prospects by any measure. 

Hey I didn't include old nhl players in the original list so don't yell at me. 

Later than 2nd round pick? What are the odds of that for any team? TSN did a study that has that rate at 30%

https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

They then did another study showing that even if you are that 30%, it's an 86% chance that any 3rd round pick is a 4th liner or worse

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Sorry but I can't rag on Fletcher for not hitting those later round picks, especially as he's been hitting on the 1st rounders he does have.

Fletcher since he became the Wild's GM in 2009

Leddy (16)

Granlund (9)

Brodin(10)

Zach Phillips (28)

Dumba (7)

Tuch (7)

Eriksson (20)

Kunin (15)

So going through that list, it's not as great as I thought it was, admittedly. He does seem probably an average GM with maybe a solid scouting ability; kinda like Murray

See, I didn't mention nhl vets someone else did. 

:sick:

Hey I didn't include old nhl players in the original list so don't yell at me. 

See, I didn't mention nhl vets someone else did. 

But I wasn't even talking to WildCard, I just quoted him because I forgot they have another nice prospect, and he had mentioned his name. The only thing I said was "I would swap prospect pools" and then you yelled at me about Eichel and Risto etc. haha.

But I wasn't even talking to WildCard, I just quoted him because I forgot they have another nice prospect, and he had mentioned his name. The only thing I said was "I would swap prospect pools" and then you yelled at me about Eichel and Risto etc. haha.

Liger is just warming up for the Josh Allen pick :P

Edit: For whatever it's worth, I would also swap prospect pools....until June. Whoever we draft in the top-4 will put ours over the edge I think.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Today. Absolutely correct.

One could be available in 2 years, though.

But what’s the old saying, better to trade someone too early than too late? ROR’s value could be lower, at a later date.

I’m not advocating for trading ROR, but if we can trade him now for a package that in the eyes of the GM makes us better in a couple years, and worse off for it in the immediate future, it would be a possibility worth exploring, if that’s the time frame said GM puts on becoming competitive.

I’d rather not trade him, I’d rather compete right now. But any ROR trade would in theory be short term pain for long term gain and should be viewed that way. I highly doubt any O’Reilly trade makes us better immediately. He’s too good.

I would trade every one of our prospects for every one of theirs, because the only prospect we have that I care about more than "oh he could be a solid, not spectacular NHLer" is Mittelstadt, and I would easily trade Casey for Eriksson Ek and Kaprizov, the latter of whom is probably the best prospect outside of the NHL.

Wasn’t that Mittelstadt?

But what’s the old saying, better to trade someone too early than too late? ROR’s value could be lower, at a later date.

I’m not advocating for trading ROR, but if we can trade him now for a package that in the eyes of the GM makes us better in a couple years, and worse off for it in the immediate future, it would be a possibility worth exploring, if that’s the time frame said GM puts on becoming competitive.

I’d rather not trade him, I’d rather compete right now. But any ROR trade would in theory be short term pain for long term gain and should be viewed that way. I highly doubt any O’Reilly trade makes us better immediately. He’s too good.

Wasn’t that Mittelstadt?

Unless someone is going to get stupid in what they offer for him, no way should he be gone. Year 8 is going to be ugly enough WITH him in the lineup. No desire to pay for the s### show that it'd be w/ him gone for prospects.

Not really. Was it bad?

Put most of it out of mind, but it was arguably uglier than the home Dallas game.

Per Dreger

Sources say Buffalo Sabres assistant GM Steve Greeley will be in Carolina tomorrow for a follow up interview for Canes GM job.

He's been an assistant to a guy who has only been a GM for a year?  

Sure, weaken our enemies.  Have at him.

“… There’s going to be a strong market for Matt Calvert. He’s going to get paid. He’s going to get a decent increase in his salary. And if he’s not good enough for John Tortorella, off the top of my head I can probably name 15 teams that would have an interest in the type of game that Matt Calvert brings to the table.”

Calvert is wrapping up a three-year, $6.6 million contract that produced a cap hit of $2.2 million and saw a salary of $2.9 million in its final season.

Being a Buffalo-based show, the point was made to Dreger on WGR that Calvert – “a character person” – is precisely what the Sabres need in terms of hard work, shot-blocking, and penalty killing.

“Well, I’ll tell you what,” began Dreger. “And again, not to take it back into the Winnipeg series… I look at Matt Hendricks. I spent a lot of time with him. He played the one game when Nik Ehlers was out.

“But you walk into this dressing room after this guy has skated with the aces or he’s skated with the club when healthy enough; I mean, he’s got braces on both knees, he’s got bandages on his shoulders. He’s held together with baling twine, as we used to say in Western Canada. But yet you look at the Edmonton Oilers and how they missed a glue guy in that dressing room like Matty Hendricks.

“And I see Matt Calvert being somewhat similar in terms of what he brings. He’s healthier, so physically speaking he’s going to be able to contribute on a higher level than maybe Matt Hendricks can. But whether it’s Buffalo or someone else, I think that there’ll be a terrific market for him if Columbus doesn’t seem to have the fit.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/blue-jackets/dreger-there-will-be-strong-market-for-calvert/

..and so it begins.

@FAN590: #GoodShow: Did Auston Matthews play enough in the first round? Could that create a rift between him and head coach Mike Babcock? @MattBarnaby3636 weighs in with @SportsnetBen & @JDBunkis. #BestInShow #TMLTalk https://twitter.com/FAN590/status/989587326904012802/video/1

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-playoffs-2018-toronto-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-auston-matthews-trust-issues-first-round-boston-bruins-game-7/tz6zuglbdt1l1lchom7ascoc7

..and so it begins.

@FAN590: #GoodShow: Did Auston Matthews play enough in the first round? Could that create a rift between him and head coach Mike Babcock? @MattBarnaby3636 weighs in with @SportsnetBen & @JDBunkis. #BestInShow #TMLTalk https://twitter.com/FAN590/status/989587326904012802/video/1

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-playoffs-2018-toronto-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-auston-matthews-trust-issues-first-round-boston-bruins-game-7/tz6zuglbdt1l1lchom7ascoc7

giphy.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.