Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Just make it so once you get to center ice you can enter the zone. Puck crosses center ice, you can cross the blue line. Will solve all the issues. 

That's exactly what I want to see. It would be like playing half-court but obviously on ice. The playing space would be "bigger" and there would be more action for sure. 

How often does the game stop because the puck barely nicked the netting and returned to the ice.   Just keep playing!    Why stop the play?   What is so different about the puck hitting the netting vs the glass...  the netting is just an extension of the glass... keep play moving, the fewer whistles the better.    

The only caveat would be that you can't score directly off the net.

This is a frustration I have had almost without realizing it until you put it into words. Deflected shots piss me off so much because of this, especially with how prevalent shot blocking has become. 

Fully agreed. 

there was a fairly recent incident where Detroit or LA scored on the other one to tie the game late almost directly after a puck bounced off the mesh and the refs missed it. 

The problem with the center ice thing is that calling offsides becomes impossible - you can't have a set of eyes watching when the puck crosses center ice and when feet cross the blue line at the same time. 

Elimination of offsides is an awesome thought experiment but I'm going to be a dinosaur and opine that I don't like how much it fundamentally changes the game, and so I would hate it in practice in the NHL. 

Elimination of offsides is an awesome thought experiment but I'm going to be a dinosaur and opine that I don't like how much it fundamentally changes the game, and so I would hate it in practice in the NHL.

See having guys like you and Colin Campbell in charge are exactly why we can't have nice things.

You're not eliminating it. You just need to hit center ice with the puck b4 you enter the zone

How do you figure they will actually ENFORCE your proposal?

Are you now placing an off-ice official at the red line? There is absolutely no way for the current officiating system (2 refs/ 2 linesmen) to enforce it.

Without an enforcement mechanism, you are taking a small problem & making it into a larger one. The law of unintended consequences would absolutely rear its ugly head.

Pastrnak not reporting to Bruins training camp until he is signed.   Staying in Czech Republic for now.

A lot more about Tavares and other league rumors in here too

https://www.fanragsports.com/canadiens/lebrun-thinks-canadiens-will-aggressive-cap-room/

Think it was already rumoured that Tavares would choose Buffalo over Montreal.   But they have the cap room to really up the price tag for him.

How do you figure they will actually ENFORCE your proposal?

Are you now placing an off-ice official at the red line? There is absolutely no way for the current officiating system (2 refs/ 2 linesmen) to enforce it.

Without an enforcement mechanism, you are taking a small problem & making it into a larger one. The law of unintended consequences would absolutely rear its ugly head.

I think it's an intriguing idea, and would not quash it because of perceived enforcement concerns. They can figure out a way to enforce it.

Pastrnak not reporting to Bruins training camp until he is signed.   Staying in Czech Republic for now.

Think it was already rumoured that Tavares would choose Buffalo over Montreal.   But they have the cap room to really up the price tag for him.

There's no way he ever leaves the Isle in my opinion

Pasternak going anywhere but Boston would be huge for us

The Winnipeg Jets have signed right-winger Bryan Little to a six-year, $31.75 million contract extension, the franchise announced on Thursday morning. Including the years where the Jets were known as the Atlanta Thrashers, Little has spent his entire 10-year career with Winnipeg’s franchise.

https://www.fanragsports.com/jets-sign-bryan-little-to-6-year-extension/

Steal. 

For now for sure. Can't believe they wouldn't want to lock him up for longer than that

Two UFA years?

How much better are Draisaitl and McDavid?

I don't think Drasaitl is that drastically better than him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.