Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

“This is what I think happened,” began Friedman. “Connor McDavid, no matter what you pay him, the Edmonton Oilers are going to make more money. That contract, whether it was going to be 12.5 or 13.25, is going to be a bargain.

“The Oilers are going to build all of those condos, they’re going to sell out all of those condos, everybody is buying a ticket. Last year in the playoffs, you had to pay $80 to just go in the arena and stand in the corridors to watch the games. You didn’t even get a seat. But people were willing to do it because A) the Oilers hadn’t been in the playoffs a long time and B) because they all wanted to be part of this phenomenal story that is Connor McDavid. No matter what they pay him, it’s not enough.

“So here’s the thing: It was 13.25 and I think, if you’ll remember, the story broke and it was about a week to 10 days – maybe two weeks – before he signed. I think he got spooked a bit by the reaction. ‘It’s too much. They’re not going to be able to win.’ And I think what happened was it got adjusted down a little bit. He shaved a bit so that they could go out and spend an extra $750,000 somewhere else.

“That’s my personal belief about what happened, that he was a bit nervous about the reaction.  As far as I’m concerned, you can’t pay him enough, but he decided to take a little bit less just so the Oilers could put the money somewhere else.

“That’s my opinion.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/oilers/friedman-explains-mcdavid-contract-extension-theory/

Drew Doughty: "I'd love to re-sign in L.A. But if our team isn't going in the right direction...I want to win Cups. I don't give a s--- where I play. I just want to win Cups, and that's the bottom line."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/doughty-potentially-leaving-kings-just-want-win-cups/

That is going a lot farther than most players do when discussing things like this.

This f***er is going to end up in Toronto. I just know it.

The New Jersey Devils appear to have locked up one of the team’s young defenseman for the longterm, according to a Monday morning report from Bob McKenzie of TSN. McKenzie is reporting that the Devils will be signing restricted free agent defenseman Damon Severson to a new six-year contract worth a total of $25 million.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/report-devils-sign-damon-severson-6-year-deal/

Six players finished ahead of Winnipeg Jets center Mark Scheifele in scoring last season. These were their names: Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, Patrick Kane, Nicklas Backstrom, Nikita Kucherov and Brad Marchand.

Pretty good, eh?

"Could have been better," Scheifele said with a laugh.

Wait. What?

Better?

"Oh, yeah," Scheifele said. "There's no doubt in my mind. In this sport, you can't say, 'Oh, you know, that was great. I just hope to stay amongst them.' I'm pushing to be better than Connor, better than Sid."

"Obviously they're pretty lofty goals," Scheifele said. "Those guys are special players. They work unbelievably hard at their game. But at one time last year, I was top in the League in scoring."

https://www.nhl.com/news/mark-scheifele-of-winnipeg-jets-aims-to-me-among-nhl-elite/c-291009354?tid=277548856

Edited by WildCard

Seattle and Oak View Group (Jerry Bruckheimer, et al) commit $660M to renovating Key Arena to land NBA and NHL franchises.

This was always going happen and everybody wants it, it was just a question of how long it would take.  Article mentions NHL team playing as early as 2020-21, which likely means an expansion draft in June 2020.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Seattle and Oak View Group (Jerry Bruckheimer, et al) commit $660M to renovating Key Arena to land NBA and NHL franchises.

This was always going happen and everybody wants it, it was just a question of how long it would take.  Article mentions NHL team playing as early as 2020-21, which likely means an expansion draft in June 2020.

"Tuesday’s news conference was canceled after new sexual-abuse allegations against Mayor Ed Murray. More updates to come."

oops

“I also think, and remember – keep this in the back of your mind guys – the Montreal Canadiens have some cap room and some unfinished business, I think, in terms of what they really want this roster to look like entering the playoffs,” said LeBrun following several minutes of Drouin-based dialogue. “We know they lost Radulov. And I can tell you I think that was one of the hardest things, most frustrating things, that’s happened to Marc Bergevin since he became GM in Montreal. He really, I think, thought he was going to get him back. To have offered him as much money as Dallas and still lose him – I think that was really frustrating for Marc Bergevin. Not just because he liked the player, but also because it’s a gaping hole again. Adding Drouin on top of Radulov sounds a lot better than just adding Drouin and losing Radulov.

“So the Canadiens, who could not score goals, really, against the Rangers in the opening round, I think still have some offensive deficiencies. But they also have salary cap room because they weren’t able to bring back Markov and Radulov. The silver lining is they have a currency that most contenders don’t have entering the year, and that’s a ton of cap room.

“So watch out. I think that’s something that Marc Bergevin will try to use at his disposal between now and the trade deadline.”

A lot more about Tavares and other league rumors in here too

https://www.fanragsports.com/canadiens/lebrun-thinks-canadiens-will-aggressive-cap-room/

Former Sabre Jeff Parker has passed away. He was in his mid 50s. No word on cause of death. He suffered from CTE symptoms ever since he retired from hockey in his late 20s due to a severe head injury.

Hadnt heard he was dealing with head injury issues. Sad to here.

Godspeed, Crash.

Interviewing players on what rules they would change

Connor McDavid, C, Edmonton Oilers:
I feel like everyone says to put the red line back in. Just because teams are now -- they just trap. They just sit back. Put the red line back in and everyone has to come back and regroup and build speed and come through the neutral zone. That could either help it or completely hinder it because now you just can't get to the neutral zone anymore. I don't really know what the answer is, but just find a way to make that neutral zone easier. Nowadays teams just throw up the 1-3-1 or the 4 and you just have to chip in every time and it gets kind of boring to watch.

Jack Eichel, C, Buffalo Sabres:
No offside. Just hang down at the other end and wait for the puck to come there.

:lol: :lol: 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/20672660/nhl-big-question-changes-players-make-game

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.