Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

I wanna believe in Tocchet, because of Pittsburgh's success, Crosby's appraisal of him, the fact that he at least has head coaching experience, and Botterill clearly believes in him. But man, I really just can't

Ditto. I am also biased against former players of his style as coaches (see also bougner). I want innovation from a coach and have reservations about a coach who made it based mostly on grit (I know, I know Rick had more than a few goals).

I wanna believe in Tocchet, because of Pittsburgh's success, Crosby's appraisal of him, the fact that he at least has head coaching experience, and Botterill clearly believes in him. But man, I really just can't

Though I'd have no belief in Tocchet, I'm willing to give Botterill the benefit of the doubt--he conducted a thorough search, and interviewed all of the best candidates available (and I don't think they were token interviews). Having gone through this, if he still ends up at Tocchet, then let's roll.

Ditto. I am also biased against former players of his style as coaches (see also bougner). I want innovation from a coach and have reservations about a coach who made it based mostly on grit (I know, I know Rick had more than a few goals).

I think you guys are underrating Boughner and Tocchet as players.  Boughner was a smart, solid defenceman whose positioning and on ice decision making was every bit as good as Quennivlle;s in his playing days.  He was a better defenceman than another tough guy defenceman who was a pretty good coach too, Lindy Ruff. 

And Rick Tocchet had over 400 goals in his NHL career.  He was a power forward in the same way that Bruin executive Cam Neely was a power forward. Not as talented as Neely, but talented enough to be more than just a grit player. 

I don't know if these two guys are the right coache for Buffalo, but don't undersell them as just plumbers. They were good at the hockey too.

Alain Vigneault's cup of coffee in the NHL was known more for his PIM's than any other entries on the scoresheet. 

Though I'd have no belief in Tocchet, I'm willing to give Botterill the benefit of the doubt--he conducted a thorough search, and interviewed all of the best candidates available (and I don't think they were token interviews). Having gone through this, if he still ends up at Tocchet, then let's roll.

This is where I'm at as well.

I think you guys are underrating Boughner and Tocchet as players.  Boughner was a smart, solid defenceman whose positioning and on ice decision making was every bit as good as Quennivlle;s in his playing days.  He was a better defenceman than another tough guy defenceman who was a pretty good coach too, Lindy Ruff. 

And Rick Tocchet had over 400 goals in his NHL career.  He was a power forward in the same way that Bruin executive Cam Neely was a power forward. Not as talented as Neely, but talented enough to be more than just a grit player. 

I don't know if these two guys are the right coache for Buffalo, but don't undersell them as just plumbers. They were good at the hockey too.

Alain Vigneault's cup of coffee in the NHL was known more for his PIM's than any other entries on the scoresheet. 

Good take We've. Boughner was who I was pulling for. What type of player you were has little to do with how good a job you'll do as a coach. Are you still able to learn the game and teach it ? Has your  thinking evolved with the game ? Hell, there was a time when Ted Nolans style of coaching could still be successful. Fortunately the game has evolved. 

I'll give him a 55% vote of confidence

I think you guys are underrating Boughner and Tocchet as players. Boughner was a smart, solid defenceman whose positioning and on ice decision making was every bit as good as Quennivlle;s in his playing days. He was a better defenceman than another tough guy defenceman who was a pretty good coach too, Lindy Ruff.

And Rick Tocchet had over 400 goals in his NHL career. He was a power forward in the same way that Bruin executive Cam Neely was a power forward. Not as talented as Neely, but talented enough to be more than just a grit player.

Honestly didn't know anything about Tocchet in his playing days, I just now a little of his Tampa Bay past

This. I have no reason to believe Botterill hasn't done his homework instead of just offering the guy to the first (OK, second) guy he talked to.

Edited by dudacek

My fear is going full Pittsburgh with Botterill, and possibly Sexton and Tocchet is they will rely too much on the Pens Way which is much easier with 87&71. As a result new ideas and voices will get stifled.

A Tocchet Hiring would be very meh in my opinion.

I'm holding out hope for the fact Florida went from waiting for Housley since he was their number one choice to hiring Boughner means that Housley told them no since Buffalo told him it was his job to lose. Wishful thinking on my part probably

I doubt Botteril has had any opportunity to talk to Housley given both teams playoff runs.

Well, probably today he had an opportunity.

You're probably right, but Botterill did mentioned his Presser that some of his initial interviews with candidates might be over the phone. Given there was three days between some games, Polie could have given Buffalo permission for a phone interview as they would have some downtime. Plus the Pegula Factor, Housley was a fan favorite during the time T Pegs had his season tix, perhaps nostalgia coupled with the fact that he knows the weakest part of his team is the D point to him being the hire.

Finally there are the character concerns associated with Tocchet, two arrests and guilty pleas fly in the face of the speech he gave during GMTM's Dismissal.

Wishful thinking by me probably.

OK, so it's Monday night.  What's the ETA for the announcement of a hiring?  Friday?

Announcement Thursday, Friday Presser

OK, so it's Monday night. What's the ETA for the announcement of a hiring? Friday?

End of the week I'd bet, at the latest. End of Saturday we have to submit our list of who we're protecting, I'd imagine they'd want the coach's input on some of that

Maybe Housley doesn't want the job.

I'm surprised it took 24 hours for this one to surface.

A) don't you think JBot would have had some sense through Housley's agent?

B) Housley has indicated he wants to be a head coach. Why not this job? Why not now?

I think the interviews happen tomorrow (today since I am on the West Coast right now).  I think the decision happens Thursday.  JB already knows Tocchet so it's not like he has much to discuss with him.  He'll have more to discuss with Housley.  He may even think he wants Tocchet and has decided that unless Housley wows him he's going with who he knows.

The only thing that has to be certain is the speed with which they make a decision.

I think I want Tocchet. If only because he has no previous ties to the Sabres.

Also, I could have coached the Nashville D to be good.

Housley was brought in specifically to help a struggling Weber and (Josi, Ellis?) at the time. There's a reason Trotz was replaced with Laviolette and Housley stayed