Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

Something else to remember about Tocchet, in his final year with Tampa the Lighting had 80 pts despite Stamkos, St Louis having greater than 90 points a piece. Hedman was a rookie and 20 points.

This next season Guy Boucher takes the Lightning to the ECF and 103 points.

Stamkos had six less points with Hedman and St Louis increasing by six points

Edited by BRAWNDO

Defensemen during Tocchet's full season in Tampa, and games played for them:
Andrej Mezsaros, 81

19 year old Victor Hedman, 74

Kurtis Foster, 71

Mattias Ohlund, 67 (was no longer any good, -4% Corsi Relative)

Matt Walker, 66

Mike Lundin, 49

David Hale, 39

Matt Smaby, 33

Lukas Krajicek, 23

Paul Ranger, 8

Krajicek, Smaby, Meszaros, Eminger, and Ranger were their top five in games played on D the season before. 

During that full season they had a better record than we did this year. Stamkos spent the first half of his rookie year before Rick struggling and sitting the bench, and when he left Stamkos was a 90 point guy who would score 60 soon after. At the very least, he certainly didn't hinder their young star center's development, eh? 

He's had 7 years since then to learn about hockey and about coaching. Tough to put Housley ahead of him from the information that we have on both guys. 

Ruff has been rumoured to have been contacted to become an assistant coach.

I wonder if we pick Housley as HC, we could use an experienced assistant coach ourselves.

Sorry, but not a chance in hell that happens here. Ruff may well go be an assistant coach somewhere like Chicago, or maybe even Florida, but it's not happening here

The Pegula Jet is traveling from Boca Raton stopping in Nashville and flying to Buffalo.

Cmon Housley...

Correction that is not the Pegula Jet. It is owned by The Hamister Corporation, one of the bidders for the Sabres during bankruptcy.

It does have a history of flying to both Boca and Smyra outside of Nashville, but never in succession like this. They do own some hotels in Nashville, so this flight probably has nothing to do with the Sabres Head Coaching Search.

Sorry

Edited by BRAWNDO

Correction that is not the Pegula Jet. It is owned by The Hamister Corporation, one of the bidders for the Sabres during bankruptcy.

It does have a history of flying to both Boca and Smyra outside of Nashville, but never in succession like this. They do own some hotels in Nashville, so this flight probably has nothing to do with the Sabres Head Coaching Search.

Sorry

Fake news!

http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/XSR

I think I want Tocchet. If only because he has no previous ties to the Sabres.

Also, I could have coached the Nashville D to be good.

What I like about Housley (or dare I say, the concept of Housley) isn't that he made the defensemen there good per se, but that he recognized their strengths and allowed the players to play to them. It may seem a simple thing, but so many coaches fail to do this.

What I like about Housley (or dare I say, the concept of Housley) isn't that he made the defensemen there good per se, but that he recognized their strengths and allowed the players to play to them. It may seem a simple thing, but so many coaches fail to do this.

Did he do this, or did the head coach of the Nashville Predators, who has taken three different franchises that played three different types of hockey to the finals, do this?

Housley was in charge of their incredibly average power play, we do know that.

If you want someone to improve the play of the defensemen and improve shot suppression, then Todd Reirden is your guy.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/reirden-would-be-a-perfect-fit-for-sabres-coaching-vacancy

The number one issue plaguing the Sabres is shot suppression.    WSH struggled in that are until Reirden showed up.  

IMO, Housley would be a high risk hire, he's a younger, less experienced version of Reirden.  

If you want someone to improve the play of the defensemen and improve shot suppression, then Todd Reirden is your guy.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/reirden-would-be-a-perfect-fit-for-sabres-coaching-vacancy

The number one issue plaguing the Sabres is shot suppression.    WSH struggled in that are until Reirden showed up.  

IMO, Housley would be a high risk hire, he's a younger, less experienced version of Reirden.  

Wsahington and Nashvilles' defenses played so incredibly different. I would much rather play Nashville's style

And I am fully prepared for Reirden.

I think he is the leading candidate from the first round of interviews.

Housley or Tocchet will have to beat him.

Why do you think this? I would think Tocchet is the leading candidate 

Wsahington and Nashvilles' defenses played so incredibly different. I would much rather play Nashville's style

Why?

WSH took PIT to 7 games.     They also posted a +157 5v5 SAT in just 13 games, vs +75 for NSH.

A man can only be disappointed so many times watching live flight schedules......

You would think.

I don't know anything about Housley as a coach, but I agree with this take 100%.

Why?

WSH took PIT to 7 games.     They also posted a +157 5v5 SAT in just 13 games, vs +75 for NSH.

Nashville was also missing Johansen and Fiala. The relativity to which each team's blue lines are responsible for their domination of the Penguins very clearly sides in Nashville's favor

Sorry

Just-because-its-not-happening-right-now

Why do you think this? I would think Tocchet is the leading candidate

Tocchet hasn't even been interviewed yet. Unless it happened this morning.

Why would you think he is the leading candidate? Regardless of their past, it's unlikely he and JBot hadever discussed how Tocchet would coach the Buffalo Sabres. And for all we know they are just two former coworkers who barely know each other outside the office.

Botterill has been described as very analytical and methodical. He told us his search would be wide reaching and thorough.

We know he has talked to a number of people and told some of them they are out of the running.

That means some, or at least one, are still in the running. And there has to be a favourite.

That guy hasn't been offered the job because JBot hasn't interviewed all the candidates yet.

Some guys wouldn't have waited, but it seems like it is Botterrill's nature to be thorough.

He hasn't had a chance to judge Tocchet or Housley or Martin yet, but one guy has set a bar they will have to beat.

Could be Arniel, or Krueger, or someone else.

I happen to think it's Reirden.

Tocchet hasn't even been interviewed yet. Unless it happened this morning.

Why would you think he is the leading candidate? Regardless of their past, it's unlikely he and JBot hadever discussed how Tocchet would coach the Buffalo Sabres. And for all we know they are just two former coworkers who barely know each other outside the office.

Botterill has been described as very analytical and methodical. He told us his search would be wide reaching and thorough.

We know he has talked to a number of people and told some of them they are out of the running.

That means some, or at least one, are still in the running. And there has to be a favourite.

That guy hasn't been offered the job because JBot hasn't interviewed all the candidates yet.

Some guys wouldn't have waited, but it seems like it is Botterrill's nature to be thorough.

He hasn't had a chance to judge Tocchet or Housley or Martin yet, but one guy has set a bar they will have to beat.

Could be Arniel, or Krueger, or someone else.

I happen to think it's Reirden.

...and BUF is the only team in the league without a head coach, so JBOT has no reason to speed up the process.