Kane To Be Traded? What Can We Get?

GASabresIUFAN

A 2nd pairing defenseman of similar age or possibly a 1st in this year's draft if we give a 3rd in return.

As much as I think Kane is a locker room cancer, if we can extend him to a 3x5.5M-6.5M or so, we should do it. This roster desperately needs goal scorers especially at even strength. My guess is that we will ask north of 6.5 though because he thinks he's going to score 50 every year.

Edited by LikeEich

I don't think he is a locker room cancer, what happened with the jets doesn't seem to be happening here.

It was his antics outside of the arena that made him look bad and will probably get him traded.

I would want at least a 1st round pick +  a young D prospect 1 - 2 years away from NHL duty.

I get that there are many all worked up about trading EK but I think we may be underestimating his worth and/or value to this team. He is a monster on the ice and a great 5 on 5 scorer, a rarity in the NHL and certainly our main scoring threat period. I would be very careful rushing into trading him at this point. And yeah, what the heck would Boston have that we would want/need? They are not exactly a great team themselves!

Trading Kane leaves us with a huge hole to fill in a position with little high end talent in the system.  If you aren't getting a difference maker coming back, I don't want the trade made.

Finally get the goal scoring power forward and people want to trade him. No wonder Buffalo never wins

Yeah, the fans on this forum have kept this team in mediocrity.  We suck.

Finally get the goal scoring power forward and people want to trade him. No wonder Buffalo never wins

and he is a rarity these days in the NHL...more and more we are seeing smaller speedsters now and that's okay but a true power forward who scores lots is such a great asset...

and he is a rarity these days in the NHL...more and more we are seeing smaller speedsters now and that's okay but a true power forward who scores lots is such a great asset...

And 2 years ago size mattered. The team that wins the cup is emulated. The team that wins the cup always has a strong vision of the type of game they play.

To all the ship jumpers and posters besides themselves at the thought of Kane leaving, he may have already told the JBot he doesn't plan on re-signing with the Sabres. Or at the very least, test the waters of Free Agency.

And 2 years ago size mattered.

Size always matters. The best way to get deep penetration on the forecheck is with good size. They can repeatedly pound the D until they turnover and continue to get pounded. Edited by inkman

A 2nd pairing defenseman of similar age or possibly a 1st in this year's draft if we give a 3rd in return.

As much as I think Kane is a locker room cancer, if we can extend him to a 3x5.5M-6.5M or so, we should do it. This roster desperately needs goal scorers especially at even strength. My guess is that we will ask north of 6.5 though because he thinks he's going to score 50 every year.

He'd be stupid to sign a 3 year deal. The guy is 25, coming off a very productive season, and has had a slew of injuries throughout his career. This is his best chance to cash in on a long term contract.

We just gave Okposo $42 million. I'd see if he was willing to take a matching deal and hope that he wants to stay without putting us in cap hell.

I have no desire to trade Kane for anything short of Cam Fowler. He's a valuable asset to this team.

Yup. I was down on him to start the season but he really showed his value down the stretch when a lot of guys were sucking big. He can play on my team. 

I've concluded that I'm incapable of an unbiased opinion on the guy.

I just can't shake the mistrust that I feel for him.

With those caveats stated, it is, in a way, an ideal scenario to have a fresh set of eyes evaluating whether Kane should be part of the team's core going forward. If JBOT signs him to a long-term deal, it will be a strong indicator that the guy's value is widely recognized and not just mis-perceived by FGMTM.

Even in that event, my hope is that he'd do a little less of the high volume, low percentage pucks at the net thing, and more helping to build play in order to get more dangerous chances. As to the latter, I remain unsure whether he has the hockey IQ to do that.

Eklund and Garth saying the Sabres are trying to trade Kane is no different than fans speculating, until a real insider (Bob Mackenzie etc.) says the Sabres are trying to trade Kane, I have to  think that we are going to try and keep him around.  There's no reason why we cant sign Kane to a small raise say $6-6.3M/yr.  Money coming off the books with Gionta, Franson, Kulikov.  Sabres are owed a favor from George McPhee and he has even said as much, so maybe one of Ennis or Moulson comes off the books as well.  Unless a trade offer comes for a top 2-3 D-man, I don't see getting rid of Kane as helping the team much.

If he's traded I don't think it would be within our own division. I personally hope he gets extended long term.

I would not trade Kane in our division. Feel like he would be a thorn in our side. I'm not a fan of trading him unless he won't sign.

I would not trade Kane in our division. Feel like he would be a thorn in our side. I'm not a fan of trading him unless he won't sign.

If I live to see Kane in a playoff series I'm hoping its for Buffalo not against. He could be the type of player that tips the balance. Its hard to say but I think he will thrive in that atmosphere. 

There's are no on ice reasons to trade him.  The only reasons to trade him is if we anticipate not being able to fit him in the cap at the price we value him at or Bots has information that the numbers he's getting from his agent on an extension is just too high compared to ours.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.