ESPN gutting Hockey department

That Aud Smell

Sounds like the same rationale that ruined Kodak 

Well... no, not really.  Kodak lost track of its focus.  It tried to become GE and ventured into everything and even though they could have led the digital camera revolution they were afraid of cannibalizing their film revenues.  So they held tight to film and the rest is history.

RIFs are almost always tied to earnings calls.  Shareholders want to hear that a company identified a problem and has a plan to deal with it.  If they were to have their earnings call and then say they were letting people go it would be a much worse situation.

Kodak had a ton of other innovations that they neglected to pursue, garbage decisions were made to show profits in the short term instead of pursuing long term results

Kodak stupid for burying their heads in the sand about a lot. IIRC the one company saving grace idea they missed out on was a digital printer they patented. 

ESPN/Disney still needs to play out.

Nobody is going to tune into ESPN this week for hockey coverage. So those people are gone.

They have a butt load of people covering the most boring of all sports events in the world, the football draft. A bunch of those people are gone. 

No one cares, except stockholders.

It's not, and apparently it's over $7 / mo. now.  ESPN is incredibly expensive and takes up an amazingly disproportionate part of your cable / satellite bill:

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/

This is exactly the type of thing that drives me nuts and why the whole cord cutting trend will continue until an a la carte system is able to exist. With the exception of the occasional football or baseball game I haven't watched ESPN since there has been an NFL network and an NHL network. I've never cared for watching highlights of golf, tennis, nascar, or all of the other highlights that go into shows like sportscenter.

It's also part of my argument every year when I threaten to cancel Directv when my contract expires each August and I agree to stick with them in exchange for either free Sunday ticket or a big enough discount that I'm willing to pay full/or a discounted price for Sunday Ticket. Last year I paid something like $207 for Sunday Ticket in exchange for a $50 credit to my bill every month for a full year. This year I plan to negotiate the same $50 credit (or hopefully even better) only I'm not going to pay for Sunday Ticket. I'll cancel that in a separate call after I get my deal. 

I've been tracking my bills over the years though and it's finally starting to trend in the right direction.

2014 - Total Spent on Directv - $1,700.07 (Avg $141.67)

2015 - Total Spent on Directv - $1,386.34 (Avg $115.53)

2016 - Total Spent on Directv - $1,385.68 (Avg $115.47)

2017 - Total Spent on Directv so far - $282.67 (Avg $70.67)

2018 will be even lower or I'll politely tell them to eat my ass.

This is exactly the type of thing that drives me nuts and why the whole cord cutting trend will continue until an a la carte system is able to exist. With the exception of the occasional football or baseball game I haven't watched ESPN since there has been an NFL network and an NHL network. I've never cared for watching highlights of golf, tennis, nascar, or all of the other highlights that go into shows like sportscenter.

It's also part of my argument every year when I threaten to cancel Directv when my contract expires each August and I agree to stick with them in exchange for either free Sunday ticket or a big enough discount that I'm willing to pay full/or a discounted price for Sunday Ticket. Last year I paid something like $207 for Sunday Ticket in exchange for a $50 credit to my bill every month for a full year. This year I plan to negotiate the same $50 credit (or hopefully even better) only I'm not going to pay for Sunday Ticket. I'll cancel that in a separate call after I get my deal. 

I've been tracking my bills over the years though and it's finally starting to trend in the right direction.

Does that include Sunday Ticket?

2014 -- Total Spent on Cable:  $200.

2015 $0

2016 $0

2017 $0 so far.

I might get rid of it. We're never even home to watch it anyways 

Between my wife's television habits and my sports watching we might cease to exist if we got rid of cable. Or we might have to talk to each other to entertain ourselves. I don't want to find out what happens with either option :death:

Does that include Sunday Ticket?

Yes, that's counting Sunday Ticket every year and 100 bucks for the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight on Pay Per View whenever that was. No Center Ice though. I haven't gotten that since 2012 or 2013.

2014 -- Total Spent on Cable: $200.

2015 $0

2016 $0

2017 $0 so far.

I watched way too much tv to go without it. Edited by Drunkard

Yes, that's counting Sunday Ticket every year and 100 bucks for the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight on Pay Per View whenever that was. No Center Ice though. I haven't gotten that since 2012 or 2013.I watched way too much tv to go without it.

Only have high speed internet, cut the cable last year, pay $68 per month for 105mbs internet, thats it and have an internet tv with amazon firestick Edited by North Buffalo

Only have high speed internet, cut the cable last year, pay $68 per month for 105mbs internet, thats it and have an internet tv with amazon firestick

That's just not enough for me honestly. I have 50 mbps internet and I pay for up to 4 streams at a time through Netflix that I allow both of my brothers and my parents to use. In exchange I have my Dad's Hulu password and my brothers pay for HBO and Showtime that I use from them, plus my girlfriend has Amazon Prime so we use that for streaming. Despite all the options I'm still not quite ready to ditch regular tv, although I'll make a convincing case when I threaten to cancel in August.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.