ESPN gutting Hockey department

That Aud Smell

Only have high speed internet, cut the cable last year, pay $68 per month for 105mbs internet, thats it and have an internet tv with amazon firestick

That's just not enough for me honestly. I have 50 mbps internet and I pay for up to 4 streams at a time through Netflix that I allow both of my brothers and my parents to use. In exchange I have my Dad's Hulu password and my brothers pay for HBO and Showtime that I use from them, plus my girlfriend has Amazon Prime so we use that for streaming. Despite all the options I'm still not quite ready to ditch regular tv, although I'll make a convincing case when I threaten to cancel in August.

:o I just upgraded a few months ago to 20 Mbps from 12...  :blink: Then again, I'm not sharing my bandwidth with anyone, lol.

:o I just upgraded a few months ago to 20 Mbps from 12...  :blink: Then again, I'm not sharing my bandwidth with anyone, lol.

The not enough for me part was about only using a firestick for television. 50 mbps is probably more than I use most of the time, but I hate dealing with buffering and since I use my own modem, I'm only paying $49.99 per month (any taxes/fee are included in that) through Spectrum/Time Warner. When my family is streaming from my accounts they are using their own bandwidth at their own homes. It comes in handy though when the gf is watching something in the bedroom and I'm streaming something different in the living room or garage plus using the wifi for phones, video games, computers, etc.

Does that cost more or less than Center Ice?

I'm not sure. I'll have to see during the next round of negotiations, ha ha!

Edited by Drunkard

Between my wife's television habits and my sports watching we might cease to exist if we got rid of cable. Or we might have to talk to each other to entertain ourselves. I don't want to find out what happens with either option :death:

I'm always amazed at how much free tv there is around here with just a well placed antenna.

I broke my bunny ears, so I haven't had TV for awhile now. :( I'm kinda lucky, I'm at the top of a hill and there isn't much between me and the Philly antennas. Unfortunately, ABC here picked a VHF frequency, so there are people in the City of Philly that can't get signal, never mind me 45 miles away.

• 3 months later...

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/disney-netflix-end-acquires-bamtech-espn-ott-services-1202519917/

So, Disney has a majority stake in BAMTech now, and will be going over the top with an ESPN streaming service including the NHL....

Intriguing. Also, in a couple more years it'll be about four times as expensive to stream a reasonable amount of content than cable is now. I already have 7, I think, different services going. About tapped out, if I'm honest.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/disney-netflix-end-acquires-bamtech-espn-ott-services-1202519917/

So, Disney has a majority stake in BAMTech now, and will be going over the top with an ESPN streaming service including the NHL....

Intriguing. Also, in a couple more years it'll be about four times as expensive to stream a reasonable amount of content than cable is now. I already have 7, I think, different services going. About tapped out, if I'm honest.

This is the a la carte model everyone wanted.  What will happen is that the television delivery networks will fail.  The content creators will have their own delivery mechanisms via the Internet.  Each will hoard their own content and the market will spend time trying to balance itself out.  Then they will realize that they cannot get enough revenue for their content to justify a streaming service of their own and they will offload the streaming to a content delivery network and provider that pulls content from multiple creators and you'll have TV delivered via the Internet.

Disney's announcement is a clear indication of this happening at a more rapid pace now.  They've watched Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu begin signing up their own content and know that if they don't muscle in now they will get squeezed out.

The great frontier will be who owns the live sports streaming market.

I have a wife, a teenager and a special needs child who are often on at the same time... gotta have the bandwidth. Especially if my son is on the XBox.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.