PA was right: the Terry Pegula press conference thread.

dudacek

Right after he did what everyone wanted him to do, too.  Odd, that.

I don't believe most were wanting Murray to be fired.  I wasn't quite at that point either. 

I did think that Murray was responsible for a lot of questionable contracts like Moulson, Ennis, Gorges, Bogosian.    But I did wonder if those guys would be better under a good HC with a good system?  So maybe the issue wasn't the players that Murray added, but the system and the Coach?

IF Murray backed Bylsma, and resisted firing him, then he deserved to be fired along with Bylsma.

IF Murray saw that Bylsma needed to go, then I was all for keeping Murray at least another year, to give his plan a chance to work, this time with a good coach.  

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know where Murray's loyalties lay.  I wonder if GMTM will be picked up as GM by another team?  Or if he'll sink back into the rank and file, never to rise to the top again? 

I'm probably in the minority it seems at least from looking at these posts but I don't see meddling owners, I see owners who want to win. I didn't hate Murray 1 bit but he made some really costly moves, free reigns in FA and draft, ended up with a washed up Moulson, total over payment of Ennis, trade for Koulikov was a disaster, He hired Dan Byslma as HC who was a disaster, a 1st round pick for Lehner who isn't bad albeit but nowhere near what we gave up to get him, went down in point standings, all that compiled with us not winning and I think the Pegula's did what most owners who don't see a winner on the ice do, they fired the GM and it was the right decision imo.

I just signed up here but I'm also on the HF message boards.

I can think of one poster who will love this idea.  It's time to turn Kim into the owner from Major League.

I was thinking, given the Pegulas' age disparity of 18 years, Terry Pegula turning 66 in March, and the greater average longevity of the American female vs American male,  that Kim Pegula has an excellent chance of becoming the next Marge Schott within 10-20 years.    

May the heavens have mercy on us all then.   

Edited by Jsixspd

I don't believe most were wanting Murray to be fired.  I wasn't quite at that point either. 

I did think that Murray was responsible for a lot of questionable contracts like Moulson, Ennis, Gorges, Bogosian.    But I did wonder if those guys would be better under a good HC with a good system?  So maybe the issue wasn't the players that Murray added, but the system and the Coach?

IF Murray backed Bylsma, and resisted firing him, then he deserved to be fired along with Bylsma.

IF Murray saw that Bylsma needed to go, then I was all for keeping Murray at least another year, to give his plan a chance to work, this time with a good coach.  

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know where Murray's loyalties lay.  I wonder if GMTM will be picked up as GM by another team?  Or if he'll sink back into the rank and file, never to rise to the top again?

Getting a good coach as a lame duck (possibly) GM might be problematic.

I was thinking, given the Pegulas' age disparity of 18 years, Terry Pegula turning 66 in March, and the greater average longevity of the American female vs American male,  that Kim Pegula has an excellent chance of becoming the next Marge Schott within 10-20 years.    

What is the basis for the concern that Kim P. will become a drunken racist?  Or a bad sports owner? 

I'm probably in the minority it seems at least from looking at these posts but I don't see meddling owners, I see owners who want to win. I didn't hate Murray 1 bit but he made some really costly moves, free reigns in FA and draft, ended up with a washed up Moulson, total over payment of Ennis, trade for Koulikov was a disaster, He hired Dan Byslma as HC who was a disaster, a 1st round pick for Lehner who isn't bad albeit but nowhere near what we gave up to get him, went down in point standings, all that compiled with us not winning and I think the Pegula's did what most owners who don't see a winner on the ice do, they fired the GM and it was the right decision imo.

I just signed up here but I'm also on the HF message boards.

Welcome to the board. How is HF anyway?

I would have preferred to keep Murray, but as stated in other threads, if that was the case, yes, he needed to go too.

Why?

Do you not believe that she could figure out this "how to be a successful sports team owner" thing in 10-20 years?

There clearly is a learning curve to that occupation. Haven't seen anything yet to suggest she won't master it.

& as annoying as Marge was, her Reds did win it all in '90. (And had the won game 1 of the NLCS, they would've literally gone pole to pole in 1st place every single day that season.)

I'm not worried about Kim Pegula becoming the owner eventually. It's similar to a homeowner who can't fix anything to save their lives; hire someone for all contract work. Heck we may be better off and finally get our long term President of Hockey Operations.

You're, like, not yourself today.  Or something.

The problem with "learning the sports ownership business" is that it really isn't analog. There are these large jumps in real world experience when personnel change followed by long bouts of observation of the current structure.

There is no cookbook to all this despite fan pontificatation. If there was a right way everyone would just buy Sports Ownership for Dummies and follow the helpful tips. There's about 25 key personalities that all have to come together, along with a lot of luck (Carolina).

In all of this, it is also good to remind oneself that winning a championship in a parity league is hard. 30+ teams search the answer every year. If it were easy, then no one would care. We are all frustrated with the lack of results but never pretend that this is easy.

The problem with "learning the sports ownership business" is that it really isn't analog. There are these large jumps in real world experience when personnel change followed by long bouts of observation of the current structure.

There is no cookbook to all this despite fan pontificatation. If there was a right way everyone would just buy Sports Ownership for Dummies and follow the helpful tips. There's about 25 key personalities that all have to come together, along with a lot of luck (Carolina).

In all of this, it is also good to remind oneself that winning a championship in a parity league is hard. 30+ teams search the answer every year. If it were easy, then no one would care. We are all frustrated with the lack of results but never pretend that this is easy.

Almost every time that it is brought up that Pegula made his money in fracking, not sports, so how can he know anything, it leads me to the same thoughts:  Almost NO professional sports franchise owners are or were experts in their sports.  Yes, there are exceptions, Jerry Jones, Mario Lemieux, etc.  But really, what does Jeremy Jacobs know about hockey?  What does Eddie deBartolo know about football?

You're, like, not yourself today.  Or something.

This has been a brutal couple days;   I feel as if our team is back to where we were in 2013 when Regier was fired

Even worse - at that time I was very optimistic about the future;  we were finally rid of Regier and we'd be rapidly assembling a playoff caliber team.   

Now, after 6 1/2 years of experience with Pegula ownership,  I have no reason to be optimistic.    IF Pegula's presser today was intended to generate warm, fuzzy feelings, it did exactly the opposite for me.  I can see no method to the madness at all.  

Almost every time that it is brought up that Pegula made his money in fracking, not sports, so how can he know anything, it leads me to the same thoughts: Almost NO professional sports franchise owners are or were experts in their sports. Yes, there are exceptions, Jerry Jones, Mario Lemieux, etc. But really, what does Jeremy Jacobs know about hockey? What does Eddie deBartolo know about football?

After six years, I don't expect Pegula to get this right because I don't expect any ownership anywhere will get it right (meaning a championship will just follow the latest shakeup), but it has been long enough that whatever approach he takes - it should be reasonable. I expect him to make reasonable decisions and he has the resources to verify his direction prior to proceeding.

Almost every time that it is brought up that Pegula made his money in fracking, not sports, so how can he know anything, it leads me to the same thoughts:  Almost NO professional sports franchise owners are or were experts in their sports.  Yes, there are exceptions, Jerry Jones, Mario Lemieux, etc.  But really, what does Jeremy Jacobs know about hockey?  What does Eddie deBartolo know about football?

This immediately brings to mind some of the owners born into the industry, the Rooneys and Maras of the world.  Those two being the first that come to mind, that's two very successful organizations.  I wonder how these multi-generations ownerships have fared as a whole.

This has been a brutal couple days; I feel as if our team is back to where we were in 2013 when Regier was fired

Even worse - at that time I was very optimistic about the future; we were finally rid of Regier and we'd be rapidly assembling a playoff caliber team.

Now, after 6 1/2 years of experience with Pegula ownership, I have no reason to be optimistic. IF Pegula's presser today was intended to generate warm, fuzzy feelings, it did exactly the opposite for me. I can see no method to the madness at all.

The method was clear. Give a short simple controlled message. Answer a few questions and get out. The organization knows he isnt a good public speaker. He said the minimum for our benefit.

The method was clear. Give a short simple controlled message. Answer a few questions and get out. The organization knows he isnt a good public speaker. He said the minimum for our benefit.

And I thought it worked well.  Hand out a little basic information and then we'll get back to you when the plans become more concrete.  I know we all want to think that there's a specific vision of exactly what will happen at this very moment, but that's completely unrealistic.

Loved the press conference today.

Terry's denial of the Jack and Lombardi stories was very believable for me. He seemed mad, insulted, and showed true disdain of the profession that put that out there.

I thought he handled himself quite well, for a person that is not at all comfortable doing that type of gig.

It's been a good day for being a Sabres hockey fan for me.

Been a good day for a SS'er as well. Welcome home shrader. You've been missed. 

Edited by Woods-Racer

And I thought it worked well.  Hand out a little basic information and then we'll get back to you when the plans become more concrete.  I know we all want to think that there's a specific vision of exactly what will happen at this very moment, but that's completely unrealistic.

Sabres are a business; a large corporation   Businesses generally don't just do things 'spur of the moment' like firing key personnel without pre-planning.    They first lay plans and plot strategy in advance their interests forward.    

They use Six Sigma systems to build flowcharts and map out the plan to move forward

They assign personnel to roles within that plan, and delegate ownership and accountability for tasks. 

They create flowcharts and visual management tools to map progress towards the goal (which in this case is the selection and hiring of a new GM)

They set up regular touch base progress meetings with all involved parties. 

I find it hard to believe this was not done;  and the Sabres are in a reactive, instead of pro-active, management situation.   

If it is done, then the search method and committee are already established.  

If, however, none of this groundwork is already laid, or planning done, and Pegula doesn't even know who is going to carry out the GM search,  then the Sabres are truly dysfunctional.  

What is reality?

Cold fusion. I'm not going to go back and read what I was wrong about, but I assume I was wrong about Pegula being a meddler, because he supposedly said today he wasn't involved in Murray's hire. What he actually said is that he regrets that he wasn't more invovled. In Terry's mind, that is the problem. Hence, he'll double down. Also, my meddling accusations well predate the Murray hire. The trial, in fact, began on April 26, 2013.

I'd honestly like to ask anyone who thinks more involvement by the Pegulas is the answer to show their hands.

Cold fusion. I'm not going to go back and read what I was wrong about, but I assume I was wrong about Pegula being a meddler, because he supposedly said today he wasn't involved in Murray's hire. What he actually said is that he regrets that he wasn't more invovled. In Terry's mind, that is the problem. Hence, he'll double down. Also, my meddling accusations well predate the Murray hire. The trial, in fact, began on April 26, 2013.

I'd honestly like to ask anyone who thinks more involvement by the Pegulas is the answer to show their hands.

Yup.

The only useful information from that presser didn't leave me with warm fuzzies;  it seemed rather clear that Pegula was not going the Pat LaFontaine route (i.e. having a knowledgeable and respected person, with NHL experience, leading the search).  He felt it was a failure;  he neglected to mention of course, in a bit of intellectual dishonesty,  that LaFontaine was fired BEFORE he could even complete his plan.

So it's basically throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  

And this is why I'd very much like to know who will be leading the GM search, and who will be involved in it?   If Kim and Terry are a big part of it.....I will not be optimistic as to the outcome.  

Thanks. You stated that sentiment better than I had.

This immediately brings to mind some of the owners born into the industry, the Rooneys and Maras of the world.  Those two being the first that come to mind, that's two very successful organizations.  I wonder how these multi-generations ownerships have fared as a whole.

Until the '70's the Steelers were long time laughing stocks. Dan Rooney grew up watching how it was done but it took Art a LOOOONG time to get it right.

& though the Jints had been very good back in the Frank Gifford era, they suffered through many lean years in the '70's.

So, even w/ the pedigree, success isn't nearly a given.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.