PA was right: the Terry Pegula press conference thread.

dudacek

Who is running the team as Hamilton asked. Does Brandon got his damn nose in there. Or Kim. holy crap Terry said he was not involved in the hiring a GM/coach holy crap!

He did what most want him to do. Hire a President (LaFontaine) and let that person pick the GM and coach....

I was happy to hear TP stick up for Jack and squash any rumours that are out there.

I wish he had said he was going to get good "hockey" people  on board so he could sit back, watch and write cheques. 

I hope they have a plan, but until the next group is hired, I'll withhold judgement. 

I am not sad Bylsma is gone. I am not sad Murray is gone. I didn't dislike Murray, I found his brutally direct approach refreshing, but I'm sure he rubbed way too many people the wrong way, and that wasn't gonna help the Sabres one bit.

This is Jack's team, as it should be, and he deserves to lead this team. He's the best player they have and will be for hopefully a very long time.

The guy next to Kim is the problem who probably selected the coach and the GM

Thank you. I suppose you've been in on all the meetings so you know who's the problem let's move on. So glad we have a real insider like yourself to inform the rest of us. Keep up getting this inside info for us.

Tim had his flaws but is really good at evaluating prospects. Paid too much on trades and missed completly leveling offense and defense, not speaking about farming.  That's why he needed somebody to cross check his actions. Byslma had to go but brains are needed! They flushed the bath with the baby still in! Completly erratic!

Not sure I trust anything Tpegs and the little wifey do with the Sabres org. anymore. It is their toy blah blah blah but they are really only placeholders and the team belongs to the fans who invest emotionally and financially. Without the fans this team does not exist. That being said I really wish Terry would stay out of the way. Do what 90% of the other owners do and hire a president of hockey operations to oversee the running of the team. Micromanaging will drive potential employees away. The disfunction it creates will drive away players and fans.

Thank you. I suppose you've been in on all the meetings so you know who's the problem let's move on. So glad we have a real insider like yourself to inform the rest of us. Keep up getting this inside info for us.

lol

Maybe you're Russ's best friend

Sabres are a business; a large corporation Businesses generally don't just do things 'spur of the moment' like firing key personnel without pre-planning. They first lay plans and plot strategy in advance their interests forward.

They use Six Sigma systems to build flowcharts and map out the plan to move forward

They assign personnel to roles within that plan, and delegate ownership and accountability for tasks.

They create flowcharts and visual management tools to map progress towards the goal (which in this case is the selection and hiring of a new GM)

They set up regular touch base progress meetings with all involved parties.

I find it hard to believe this was not done; and the Sabres are in a reactive, instead of pro-active, management situation.

If it is done, then the search method and committee are already established.

If, however, none of this groundwork is already laid, or planning done, and Pegula doesn't even know who is going to carry out the GM search, then the Sabres are truly dysfunctional.

Corporate buzzword jargon has invaded Sabrespace. Now I can kill myself...

Not sure I trust anything Tpegs and the little wifey do with the Sabres org. anymore. It is their toy blah blah blah but they are really only placeholders and the team belongs to the fans who invest emotionally and financially. Without the fans this team does not exist. That being said I really wish Terry would stay out of the way. Do what 90% of the other owners do and hire a president of hockey operations to oversee the running of the team. Micromanaging will drive potential employees away. The disfunction it creates will drive away players and fans.

Nailed it sir! The organization needs stability at this point. (not to mention a decent coach and GM)

This is fun watching everyone trying to dissect a meaningless and empty press conference.

The press conference was 15 minutes of almost no content.   A number of shallow homilies, catch-phrases, chatter issued by Terrance Pegula.

However, it wasn't totally meaningless - from the photo in the Buffalo News -  look who was standing on the sidelines - Russ Brandon.

He is the Club President - does anyone not think that Pegula is getting a lot of advice and consul on the direction and personnel of the hockey team from the living embodiment of the Peter Principle during this critical time?

And then there's Kim, who was also in the photo with Brandon;   tWe know that she'll be heavily involved in the search - she's got a great track record too -  Rex Friggin Ryan!   

This team is like a ship without a rudder - it goes in one direction, then abruptly alters course and goes in another.   Rinse and repeat.  We went with Regier, then shifted tack, and brought in LaFontaine -  LaFontaine never finished his plan -  then another direction -with Murray and the tank - then Murray and Bylsma - now we've come full circle. 

I feel like we're almost back to where we started when Regier was fired;  the only bright spot(s) now vs then,  is Eichel, Risto, and a few others on the roster. 

Even worse, with LaFontaine in charge of the GM search back in 2013,  and in charge of operations,  I felt there was a positive plan to move the team forward.  The Pegulas mercifully were left OUT of it - doing what inexperienced neophyte owners ought to be doing - putting a top shelf hockey guy in charge, and writing checks.

Sadly, I think we're back in full blown rebuild mode;  except now instead of LaFontaine, the ship will be run by Captains Terry & Kim.  

No reason whatsoever for any optimism.  That's the best takeaway from the presser.    

The press conference was 15 minutes of almost no content.   A number of shallow homilies, catch-phrases, chatter issued by Terrance Pegula.

However, it wasn't totally meaningless - from the photo in the Buffalo News -  look who was standing on the sidelines - Russ Brandon.

He is the Club President - does anyone not think that Pegula is getting a lot of advice and consul on the direction and personnel of the hockey team from the living embodiment of the Peter Principle during this critical time?

And then there's Kim, who was also in the photo with Brandon;   tWe know that she'll be heavily involved in the search - she's got a great track record too -  Rex Friggin Ryan!   

This team is like a ship without a rudder - it goes in one direction, then abruptly alters course and goes in another.   Rinse and repeat.  We went with Regier, then shifted tack, and brought in LaFontaine -  LaFontaine never finished his plan -  then another direction -with Murray and the tank - then Murray and Bylsma - now we've come full circle. 

I feel like we're almost back to where we started when Regier was fired;  the only bright spot(s) now vs then,  is Eichel, Risto, and a few others on the roster. 

Even worse, with LaFontaine in charge of the GM search back in 2013,  and in charge of operations,  I felt there was a positive plan to move the team forward.  The Pegulas mercifully were left OUT of it - doing what inexperienced neophyte owners ought to be doing - putting a top shelf hockey guy in charge, and writing checks.

Sadly, I think we're back in full blown rebuild mode;  except now instead of LaFontaine, the ship will be run by Captains Terry & Kim.  

No reason whatsoever for any optimism.  That's the best takeaway from the presser.    

Thank you sir! You nailed it as well. My sentiments exactly. Be prepared to defend them however as I have found out. I trusted Pat's vision even though they claim he was responsible for Tim Murray's appointment. Pat saw something he didn't like and walked. I think he made the right move. Not sure if it was involvement of the Pegula's that made him decide to leave or that he was not on board with the tank or the combo of both. When he walked I sensed there was trouble within the organization.

lol

Maybe you're Russ's best friend

Not at all. Don't know the man. You I trust don't either. So to make definitive statements about what is going on like it is fact is blowing smoke out of your a.. I don't frankly think you "know" anymore than the rest of us. Personally based on your statement I think I'd take Russ before listening to you telling us what's going on.

Good stuff. Wouldn't it be funny if Terry wasn't really meddling when he first bought his teams and I was totally wet — only to be proven right as Terry REALLY starts meddling now? It feels that way. I mean, the guy is scouting quarterbacks FCS! And he seems defiant about being involved to a "large" extent in the new hires. Is that meddling? When hiring a president or GM, not really. But is he going to force a coach on his new GM, either before or after the GM is hired?

Think about the Sabres front office when Murray was hired. LaFontaine, Sawyer, Black, Battista, Benson, Patrick. Now it's Pegula and his trusted business guy Russ Brandon. Terry has consolidated power AROUND HIMSELF.

I go back to the classic SS signature, of LabattBlue, wherein Rene Robert asked Larry Quinn the key question:

Rene Robert: "What's your background, Larry?"
Larry Quinn: "I'm a land developer."
Robert: "Do you think I could do your job?"
Quinn: "No, I don't think you could."
Robert: "Then what makes you believe you're a hockey man?"

- Buffalo News 4/19/09

Well, Terry?

Edited by PASabreFan

Good stuff. Wouldn't it be funny if Terry wasn't really meddling when he first bought his teams and I was totally wet — only to be proven right as Terry REALLY starts meddling now? It feels that way. I mean, the guy is scouting quarterbacks FCS! And he seems defiant about being involved to a "large" extent in the new hires. Is that meddling? When hiring a president or GM, not really. But is he going to force a coach on his new GM, either before or after the GM is hired?

Think about the Sabres front office when Murray was hired. LaFontaine, Sawyer, Black, Battista, Benson, Patrick. Now it's Pegula and his trusted business guy Russ Brandon. Terry has consolidated power AROUND HIMSELF.

I go back to the classic SS signature, of LabattBlue, wherein Rene Robert asked Larry Quinn the key question:

Rene Robert: "What's your background, Larry?"

Larry Quinn: "I'm a land developer."

Robert: "Do you think I could do your job?"

Quinn: "No, I don't think you could."

Robert: "Then what makes you believe you're a hockey man?"

- Buffalo News 4/19/09

Well, Terry?

I think for Terry it's about seeing how his people work. He might be there more often for a lot of this stuff now. It doesn't necessarily mean he's making decisions or anything, but I understand if it's processes that he's curious about.

The irony is something, for sure.

But I think what Terry is going for here is not about hockey, it's about organizational culture, which apparently is something he should know about. He's basically said: Murray created/allowed a culture that is not reflective of my way of doing business. I take responsibility for putting him in charge without personal due diligence into those factors and I won't make the same mistake again.

The thing is, Lafontaine hired Murray to be the hockey guy; his supposed warts were OK, because Patty balanced them off as the organizational/culture guy and the face of the team. They had the trendy "Leaf model" in place.

Edited by dudacek

I believe that owners have more information available to them than one person. Further, I think I heard or think I was understanding Pegula to say he's looking or experience. I have the feeling that the new GM/President of hockey operations,if Pegula wants such a post will be someone with a record of experience. I don't have the "Russ Brandon" phobia so many seem to be struck with. Whether it's president of hockey operations or just a GM I think it will be someone with a proven track record and whoever it is will be both praised and blasphemed on this board.

I think for Terry it's about seeing how his people work. He might be there more often for a lot of this stuff now. It doesn't necessarily mean he's making decisions or anything, but I understand if it's processes that he's curious about.

Oh, FFS. Who's going to make the hire then? Maybe the shadowy, longtime figure who stands in the runway beside the bench, and was seen behind Russ and Kim in the photo yesterday

The irony is something, for sure.

But I think what Terry is going for here is not about hockey, it's about organizational culture, which apparently is something he should know about. He's basically said: Murray created/allowed a culture that is not reflective of my way of doing business. I take responsibility for putting him in charge without personal due diligence into those factors and I won't make the same mistake again.

The thing is, Lafontaine hired Murray to be the hockey guy; his supposed warts were OK, because Patty balanced them off as the organizational/culture guy and the face of the team. They had the trendy "Leaf model" in place.

How do you separate the hockey hires and the organizational culture goal? How many good hockey people aren't going to be considered because they're a little rough around the edges or don't say grace after Terry passes him the Frito bag?

Yesterday was an echo of Terry's initial presser. "We want to win." He repeated the "reason for existence" line. Chills (well, this time, not really). Then he has to act like he knows how to pull that off, telling us how teams win. Everybody now: Discipline. Structure. Communication. Character.

How do you separate the hockey hires and the organizational culture goal? How many good hockey people aren't going to be considered because they're a little rough around the edges or don't say grace after Terry passes him the Frito bag?.

A lot. You are describing Tim Murray and Terry has shown he's nothing if not reactionary.

What we have to hope is that no one gets into the interview room without being a proven good hockey person and the character and structure stuff is what seals the deal, not the other way around.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.