PA was right: the Terry Pegula press conference thread.

dudacek

Same. I thought his approach was more businesslike. It sounds like the loose management happy fun time structure is over with. He tried to be "cool hip boss" and it bit him in the ass. Maybe that style worked in the fracking world. It clearly didn't work here.

Can't say I disagree with this take:

Watched that Pegula press conference Terry needs a bad guy, he needs someone to run the whole thing + allow him to be the likeable owner

He's said it before about his hires. Calling them 'men of faith' and, IIRC, 'good Christian men / families'

It matters to him, when it shouldn't.

Agreed but I wonder if that is Terry's way of trying to say they are men of character versus I need them to be Christian. Hard to say given how socially awkward Terry can come across.

Watched that Pegula press conference Terry needs a bad guy, he needs someone to run the whole thing + allow him to be the likeable owner

I can think of one poster who will love this idea.  It's time to turn Kim into the owner from Major League.

Agreed but I wonder if that is Terry's way of trying to say they are men of character versus I need them to be Christian. Hard to say given how socially awkward Terry can come across.

Eh, I'm an evangelical Christian and I compliment/ describe my friends who fit that description the same way. It doesn't mean I exclude or think less of my non believing friends. Problem is though he is an employer, he needs to be conciencous of how it can be interpreted.

Integrity is not exclusive to men of faith and I dont get that from TPegs, ps wheeling and dealing sometimes requires tough decisions that can easily lead to a lack of integrity. Though it can be done if one has enough maturity and honesty. I think the word folks are looking for is ethics or ethical behavior... takes the whole moral religious terminology out of the equation though TPegs uses terms that can be portrayed with a religious in connotation... I dont necessarily take them that way.

YardsPerPass.com‏ @YardsPerPass 52m52 minutes ago

More

Could be. Cool boss Terry got taken for a ride by people he trusted. Now he's cracking the whip, but maybe isn't comfortable with it/doesn't want to be that guy.

While TP might want better decorum, I have a hard time believing that this was all about decorum.

C'mon. I know you're down on TP, but do you really think he fired FGMTM purely for image reasons? i.e. that he's that shallow and foolish?

The second bolded line kinda contradicts the first -- if the organization had gotten sloppy due to sloppiness at the top, isn't that inherently a real problem -- i.e. not just an image problem? I suppose that question presupposes that the sloppiness had manifested in the results -- but the results are freaking terrible, right? So is TP not justified in seeing a train wreck and being dissatisfied?

The two only contradict if you misread the first: what I was trying to say is that Pegula believed Murray's style was creating a substantial problem with the organization. And I agree that the performance of the organization shows evidence he may be right.

I think the talent Murray acquired is better than the way it performed on the ice. I blamed most of that on Bylsma.

Pegula believed that the leadership problem went deeper than Dan.

It will be interesting to see how that talent performs under different leadership.

As I said up-thread, maybe Murray was our Tallon and the new guy will be our Bowman.

All we got is hope. Because Terry has done a bad job of nurturing our faith.

Edited by dudacek

Yeah - if it is false.  I don't know, despite all his talk of 'character' - how much I trust Pegula

It's like with Eichel - a report surfaces that Eichel is pushing for Bylsma to be fired - a day later - Bylsma is fired.   And we're all supposed to believe - "Oh, it's just a coincidence."

Maybe it is?  But much like Ryan's firing, it was mishandled.

Yup. I don't believe a word coming out of TP's piehole anymore. Wouldn't be surprised at all if there has been contact with Lombardi.

I agree, but I think many are on a "Pegula sucks at everything in the known universe" kick at the moment.

There are still good qualities to Terry. I truly believe he is a good man and his heart is in the right place. He wants to win, he cares and that is appreciated as a fan of the Bills and Sabres like most of us are.

Pegula just has no flippin idea how to run sports teams in terms in regards to personnel and why should he, what qualifications does he have?

And when you trust a marketing major like Russ Brandon too much, that in itself is a major issue. Name me another city where someone like Brandon has all this power. It is borderline insanity.

Eh, I'm an evangelical Christian and I compliment/ describe my friends who fit that description the same way. It doesn't mean I exclude or think less of my non believing friends. Problem is though he is an employer, he needs to be conciencous of how it can be interpreted.

Agreed I am the same and have friends that are all kinds of non religious and religious and I don't base faith on choosing great people to surround myself with

Did everyone want the entire office cleaned out? I think most wanted one or the other, not both

I don't think there was a firm consensus on it only being Bylsma, or only being Murray, or both. "Only Bylsma" may have been a plurality choice, but I think a healthy number of folks who wanted to fire Bylsma also felt Murray was a problem.

Edit: Personally, I'd have given Murray a second coach, but I think there was enough on the negative side of the ledger (especially if the behind the scenes stuff is anywhere near as bad as depicted) to make the move on both of them.

Edit 2: And again, I think there's a strong possibility that Murray was still in Bylsma's corner. In which case, the "fire Bylsma" crowd should be happy both went.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I meant the coach.

Fair enough. I'm happy Byslma is gone, I just liked Murray and said before one of the reasons I wanted Dan gone is I thought keeping him meant losing Murray sometime down the road. If Murray wanted to keep Dan though, I'm okay losing him.

I think a lot of the Pegula thing isn't that he let them go, it's worry that we can't trust him making the right replacements

Agreed I am the same and have friends that are all kinds of non religious and religious and I don't base faith on choosing great people to surround myself with

Again different folks may have different faiths but similar ethics cross faiths and often allow for them to coexist effectively.

Did everyone want the entire office cleaned out? I think most wanted one or the other, not both

I won't say I wanted it, mostly because I never seriously considered it as an option.  That said, I have no problem with the decision.  These times where you are completely restarting things, to me, are some of the most exciting times for a team.  Whoever steps in and takes over is definitely starting from a much better point than Murray did.

I don't think there was a firm consensus on it only being Bylsma, or only being Murray, or both. "Only Bylsma" may have been a plurality choice, but I think a healthy number of folks who wanted to fire Bylsma also felt Murray was a problem.

Edit: Personally, I'd have given Murray a second coach, but I think there was enough on the negative side of the ledger (especially if the behind the scenes stuff is anywhere near as bad as depicted) to make the move on both of them.

Or like myself thought Murray has had some growing pains but had done enough to keep going. That being said have no idea what was going on behind the scenes except that there was issues based on leaks.

I might as well chime in on this character thing.  I think it's 100% on the front office and not about the players one bit.  A pretty clear picture has been painted of a lack of communication from the coach and GM.  That's very easy to picture with the persona Murray presents.  The whole thing clearly went off the rails in the last couple months and they need to go in a much different direction.

Shrader sighting!!  Stick around man!

I won't say I wanted it, mostly because I never seriously considered it as an option.  That said, I have no problem with the decision.  These times where you are completely restarting things, to me, are some of the most exciting times for a team.  Whoever steps in and takes over is definitely starting from a much better point than Murray did.

The other angle is Pegula probably knows this job is a lot more attractive now then a few years ago. Possible top 5 pick in 2017, Eichel, OReilly, and an owner that will spend. GM and coaching candidates will come to the Sabres versus the other way around.

I'm really trying to understand this, has Pegula done anything to lead you to believe that he bases employment on religious affiliation? Or are you just assuming that based on his own personal status?

It's just an observation.

He has mentioned religion when introducing Bylsma and McDermott. Not knocking him for that. Just pointing out that it's a quality that matters to him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.