PA was right: the Terry Pegula press conference thread.

dudacek

And I have to share this. With the exception of hockey McDavid is the worst athlete on the planet. The Otters wouldn't let him do the pre game soccer kick because he couldn't he would punt the ball into the rafters or drill it off a teammates head. It was said in fun, but one story was about a golf outing where he was told to just drive the cart so no one got hurt. Seems he was put here to do one thing ridiculously well. Jack, they said is the opposite. If he loved say baseball more than hockey he would be in the major leagues. Great athlete and self driven.

Didn't see the presser, but have read this 9 page thread. Wondering if it was the leaks about Jack that really angered TP. He is the future of this team. And to have the BN write about how Jack supposedly threw teammates under the bus, wont sign if DD is the coach, etc, etc.. 

On the Bills side, since McD was hired, far fewer leaks. 

From TP's view, someone was throwing Jack under the bus, and that is not acceptable. That is the character concerns he has. FGMTM couldn't - or wouldn't - control the leaks. When TP asked about the leaks, maybe ZFG didn't know, or worse, didn't care. 

btw - 3putt, awesome stuff. 

Edited by 2_minutes_4_roughing

Didn't see the presser, but have read this 9 page thread. Wondering if it was the leaks about Jack that really angered TP. He is the future of this team. And to have the BN write about how Jack supposedly threw teammates under the bus, wont sign if DD is the coach, etc, etc..

On the Bills side, since McD Berchtold was hired relieved of duties , far fewer leaks.

From TP's view, someone was throwing Jack under the bus, and that is not acceptable. That is the character concerns he has. FGMTM couldn't - or wouldn't - control the leaks. When TP asked about the leaks, maybe ZFG didn't know, or worse, didn't care.

btw - 3putt, awesome stuff.

FTFY. ;) Edited by Taro T

Put this in the FWIW column.  Last night I went out to watch the playoff games.  The establishment was featuring the Bulls game so it took some sweet talking to get the games on a corner tv. It also gave me a large table to myself.  Toward the end of the regulation of the Caps Leafs two guys in team gear came in and asked to join me to watch the endings. Then 3 more.came in and saw the other 2 and came over.  Turns out the USHL is running their combine at the rink near where I live.

And lastly, on TPegs.  One quote "if the owner isn't the biggest fan, he will never hate losing as much as the fans.  Consider yourself lucky."

I bought their beers and  wings and had a blast talking hockey with these guys.  I thanked them for doing God's work.   :worthy:  :beer: 

Great night; great share!

Kim Pegula spoke to Murray separately?  Really?  I hadn't read this - I wonder why?  She brings nothing to the table at all - hockey was always Terry's thing anyway.  

The skuttlebutt is, however, that she and her inner circle were involved in LaFontaine's departure.   

One of my chief bugaboos about the Sabres Disorganization (can we really call it an organization anymore?) is the involvement of Kim Pegula. It has never been defined. What decisions has she made or influenced? When Terry said he was NOT involved in the hiring of the GM and/or coach?!?, my first thought, and it has hardly been discussed, was it was Kim Pegula making the big decision. We'll never know but this is my feeling.

My previous opinion of Kim was discussed passionately among some -- you can look it up. I still believe that part of the reason for the Sabres and Bills being bought by Pegula is that so he could make the sports teams a plaything for Kim and keep her busy. There are lots of couples just like this, where the wife is much younger and has glommed on to a rich man. The husband often finds something for his wife to do and this has become the problem of the Buffalo Sabres and their  fans. If Terry isn't calling shots, who is really in charge? I think it's Kim.

Pegula is 18 years older than his wife. The story of how they met; she was a 22 year old waitress on the make,  he was a 40 year old executive having lunch. ..From wikipedia...After following her brothers' footsteps in enrolling at Houghton College, the college student and a roommate ventured to Alaska to work near a fishing camp upon hearing there was money to be made. It was there that she met her future husband, Terry Pegula, when he and his coworkers ate at a restaurant in which Kim was working as a waitress. Pegula offered her a job at his natural gas company, and they eventually entered a relationship, marrying in 1993. 

Maybe Terry can hang out in some dive restaurant in Alaska or Pennsylvania looking for a new President/GM/Coach. It wouldn't surprise me. The decision making process really seems arbitrary; a random mix of contacting high-falutin' people who will never come to Buffalo and being played by them in order to negotiate a good contract with their new teams, getting egg on the face with the rejection and finally settling for some retread with a resume who has no connections to the Buffalo Sabres and hope they can translate their success from years ago to this time of management crisis.

That the NHL has to step in an give the Pegulas advice is really shameful. I feel like the time where the NHL had to step in to save the franchise from the Rigas debacle.

The Sabres have had three owners since 2001. They've become a hot potato in the NHL. No one wanted to commit to them. It's sad that the in the team's armour has always been the  owners who handicapped them in some way from winning championships, not going far enough, or going too far. The Knoxes, the Rigases and Golisanos all came close to  championships with a tight-fisted fiscal outlook. Besides '86 the Sabres have always been a competitive small market team, operating on a responsible budget. In comes Daddy Warbucks, crying with Gil Perreault, a reluctant lifetime Sabre, crying to Pat Lafontaine, and saying that the only reason for the Sabres existence is to win a Stanley Cup (as if the other owners didn't have that idea first) and then we have the mortifying tanks and now the revolving door management.

I think there should be pitchforks and torches for Kim because my feeling is that she's the one who's really in charge.

One of my chief bugaboos about the Sabres Disorganization (can we really call it an organization anymore?) is the involvement of Kim Pegula. It has never been defined. What decisions has she made or influenced? When Terry said he was NOT involved in the hiring of the GM and/or coach?!?, my first thought, and it has hardly been discussed, was it was Kim Pegula making the big decision. We'll never know but this is my feeling.

My previous opinion of Kim was discussed passionately among some -- you can look it up. I still believe that part of the reason for the Sabres and Bills being bought by Pegula is that so he could make the sports teams a plaything for Kim and keep her busy. There are lots of couples just like this, where the wife is much younger and has glommed on to a rich man. The husband often finds something for his wife to do and this has become the problem of the Buffalo Sabres and their  fans. If Terry isn't calling shots, who is really in charge? I think it's Kim.

Pegula is 18 years older than his wife. The story of how they met; she was a 22 year old waitress on the make,  he was a 40 year old executive having lunch. ..From wikipedia...After following her brothers' footsteps in enrolling at Houghton College, the college student and a roommate ventured to Alaska to work near a fishing camp upon hearing there was money to be made. It was there that she met her future husband, Terry Pegula, when he and his coworkers ate at a restaurant in which Kim was working as a waitress. Pegula offered her a job at his natural gas company, and they eventually entered a relationship, marrying in 1993. 

Maybe Terry can hang out in some dive restaurant in Alaska or Pennsylvania looking for a new President/GM/Coach. It wouldn't surprise me. The decision making process really seems arbitrary; a random mix of contacting high-falutin' people who will never come to Buffalo and being played by them in order to negotiate a good contract with their new teams, getting egg on the face with the rejection and finally settling for some retread with a resume who has no connections to the Buffalo Sabres and hope they can translate their success from years ago to this time of management crisis.

That the NHL has to step in an give the Pegulas advice is really shameful. I feel like the time where the NHL had to step in to save the franchise from the Rigas debacle.

The Sabres have had three owners since 2001. They've become a hot potato in the NHL. No one wanted to commit to them. It's sad that the ###### in the team's armour has always been the  owners who handicapped them in some way from winning championships, not going far enough, or going too far. The Knoxes, the Rigases and Golisanos all came close to  championships with a tight-fisted fiscal outlook. Besides '86 the Sabres have always been a competitive small market team, operating on a responsible budget. In comes Daddy Warbucks, crying with Gil Perreault, a reluctant lifetime Sabre, crying to Pat Lafontaine, and saying that the only reason for the Sabres existence is to win a Stanley Cup (as if the other owners didn't have that idea first) and then we have the mortifying tanks and now the revolving door management.

I think there should be pitchforks and torches for Kim because my feeling is that she's the one who's really in charge.

One more for the ignore.

The Sabres have had three owners since 2001. They've become a hot potato in the NHL. No one wanted to commit to them. It's sad that the ###### in the team's armour has always been the  owners who handicapped them in some way from winning championships, not going far enough, or going too far. The Knoxes, the Rigases and Golisanos all came close to  championships with a tight-fisted fiscal outlook. Besides '86 the Sabres have always been a competitive small market team, operating on a responsible budget. In comes Daddy Warbucks, crying with Gil Perreault, a reluctant lifetime Sabre, crying to Pat Lafontaine, and saying that the only reason for the Sabres existence is to win a Stanley Cup (as if the other owners didn't have that idea first) and then we have the mortifying tanks and now the revolving door management.

Who cares if she is?  If so, then she's just like most other pro sports owners:  inexperienced in the sport(s) with the team(s) owned.

And the age difference between my girlfriend and me is greater than the age difference between Terry and Kim.  I'm not sure that means anything, either.

Edited by Eleven

Who cares if she is? If so, then she's just like most other pro sports owners: inexperienced in the sport(s) with the team(s) owned.

And the age difference between my girlfriend and me is greater than the age difference between Terry and Kim. I'm not sure that means anything, either.

You are dating a 70 year old?

One of my chief bugaboos about the Sabres Disorganization (can we really call it an organization anymore?) is the involvement of Kim Pegula. It has never been defined. What decisions has she made or influenced? When Terry said he was NOT involved in the hiring of the GM and/or coach?!?, my first thought, and it has hardly been discussed, was it was Kim Pegula making the big decision. We'll never know but this is my feeling.

My previous opinion of Kim was discussed passionately among some -- you can look it up. I still believe that part of the reason for the Sabres and Bills being bought by Pegula is that so he could make the sports teams a plaything for Kim and keep her busy. There are lots of couples just like this, where the wife is much younger and has glommed on to a rich man. The husband often finds something for his wife to do and this has become the problem of the Buffalo Sabres and their fans. If Terry isn't calling shots, who is really in charge? I think it's Kim.

Pegula is 18 years older than his wife. The story of how they met; she was a 22 year old waitress on the make, he was a 40 year old executive having lunch. ..From wikipedia...After following her brothers' footsteps in enrolling at Houghton College, the college student and a roommate ventured to Alaska to work near a fishing camp upon hearing there was money to be made. It was there that she met her future husband, Terry Pegula, when he and his coworkers ate at a restaurant in which Kim was working as a waitress. Pegula offered her a job at his natural gas company, and they eventually entered a relationship, marrying in 1993.

The Sabres have had three owners since 2001. They've become a hot potato in the NHL. No one wanted to commit to them. It's sad that the ###### in the team's armour has always been the owners who handicapped them in some way from winning championships, not going far enough, or going too far. The Knoxes, the Rigases and Golisanos all came close to championships with a tight-fisted fiscal outlook. Besides '86 the Sabres have always been a competitive small market team, operating on a responsible budget. In comes Daddy Warbucks, crying with Gil Perreault, a reluctant lifetime Sabre, crying to Pat Lafontaine, and saying that the only reason for the Sabres existence is to win a Stanley Cup (as if the other owners didn't have that idea first) and then we have the mortifying tanks and now the revolving door management.

1) She did not meet with people separately. Terry & Kim met each separately. (I misunderstood Terry's statement, which is why you believe this to be the case. It's not.

2) Why do you hate Kim being involved? Because she's a woman? She has as much experience running a sports franchise as her husband. But I suppose male reproductive organs make one smarter.

1) She did not meet with people separately. Terry & Kim met each separately. (I misunderstood Terry's statement, which is why you believe this to be the case. It's not.

2) Why do you hate Kim being involved? Because she's a woman? She has as much experience running a sports franchise as her husband. But I suppose male reproductive organs make one smarter.

I despise inexperienced people at the top whatever their gender. 

And yet your comment was directed at Kim, not Terry. And why is the story of how they met germane to this issue unless you are trying to suggest something tawdry about Kim?

Just because she's a woman doesn't mean that she is right. There is no reason she should be involved with the team. She brings nothing to the table. What does she know about hockey? She doesn't have any successful management experience of her own or any experience with hockey whatsoever. Why should she of all people be calling the shots?

Like Pat Lafontaine?

Not sure Pat knew much about running a franchise . He was a hockey guy but I was talking more about running the team but not on the business side. They would obviously have to trust the new hire to do his job.

Edited by bunomatic

Just because she's a woman doesn't mean that she is right. There is no reason she should be involved with the team. She brings nothing to the table. What does she know about hockey? She doesn't have any successful management experience of her own or any experience with hockey whatsoever. Why should she of all people be calling the shots?

She did put a lovely lavender wainscotting in the bathrooms.

Not sure Pat knew much about running a franchise . He was a hockey guy but I was talking more about running the team but not on the business side. They would obviously have to trust the new hire to do his job.

Definitely not the same thing, but pretty sure he owned/ran a Junior team prior to running the Sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.