PA was right: the Terry Pegula press conference thread.

dudacek

Imo you need players and people who are a little rough around the edges to succeed in this quest for a cup. That much is obvious in looking back at the teams that have won it. Terrence is talking about an entirely different type of character. He wants lily white. He wants church on sunday types. What he'll get is vanilla when what you need to win the cup is rocky road. Its clear that Terrence doesn't understand the dynamic needed for success at this thing called hockey. 

Put this in the FWIW column.  Last night I went out to watch the playoff games.  The establishment was featuring the Bulls game so it took some sweet talking to get the games on a corner tv. It also gave me a large table to myself.  Toward the end of the regulation of the Caps Leafs two guys in team gear came in and asked to join me to watch the endings. Then 3 more.came in and saw the other 2 and came over.  Turns out the USHL is running their combine at the rink near where I live.

I am hesitant to name names but one coach is the son of long time player and coach.  He was an assistant under Knoblauch in Erie and worked in the USNTDP when Jack, Matthews et al were there.  The other coach played in the LA system and his assistant had a cup of coffee with the B Sens and was also in the USNDTP for a while. Obviously I had to ask their opinion of the shake up.

To a man none had anything good to say about Murray. Devoid of empathy; lacks any desire to be around people or deal with the people side of the business.  And the son of the coach, his dad coached The Sens while Murray was there.  

To a person: Jack would never throw his worst enemy under a bus much less a coach.  Not his style.  All said the same thing, Jack draws people to him lime a moths to a flame.  Almost unhealthy drive to be the best, not just the best he can be.

Universal praise for Lombardi.  Wired in to USA hockey and USHL.  

Knoblauch universally seen as the next great coach.

To a man if they had the 1st pick in 2017, ...Cale Maker.  Most don't think he will report to UMass but go to the AHL affiliate 

And lastly, on TPegs.  One quote "if the owner isn't the biggest fan, he will never hate losing as much as the fans.  Consider yourself lucky."

I bought their beers and  wings and had a blast talking hockey with these guys.  I thanked them for doing God's work.   :worthy:  :beer: 

That pretty well sums it up. Brainless.

This very well could be looked back on as the second time Terrence drove this franchise into the ground. Man does not have a clue. Hire someone to handle the hockey side.

Well, he's going to do the bolded. The problem is, he made it abundantly clear yesterday that he's not going to sit back and let that person do his job. How many candidates is this going to scare off? Is this what spooked Babcock?

Imo you need players and people who are a little rough around the edges to succeed in this quest for a cup. That much is obvious in looking back at the teams that have won it. Terrence is talking about an entirely different type of character. He wants lily white. He wants church on sunday types. What he'll get is vanilla when what you need to win the cup is rocky road. Its clear that Terrence doesn't understand the dynamic needed for success at this thing called hockey. 

Great line! Terry thinks he knows what dynamic is needed, based on his world view, family life, business experience. The problem is, he knows nothing about winning in hockey.

A lot. You are describing Tim Murray and Terry has shown he's nothing if not reactionary.

What we have to hope is that no one gets into the interview room without being a proven good hockey person and the character and structure stuff is what seals the deal, not the other way around.

I am totally confused by how this hiring process is going to work. Who's the gatekeeper of the interview room? Has to be Russ, right?

I believe that owners have more information available to them than one person. Further, I think I heard or think I was understanding Pegula to say he's looking or experience. I have the feeling that the new GM/President of hockey operations,if Pegula wants such a post will be someone with a record of experience. I don't have the "Russ Brandon" phobia so many seem to be struck with. Whether it's president of hockey operations or just a GM I think it will be someone with a proven track record and whoever it is will be both praised and blasphemed on this board.

I'd really like to see them bring in a knowledgeable Team President & a GM. It would be good for the GM to have somebody in the organization that doesn't report to him that has long term strategy in mind & knows hockey that he can bounce ideas off.

Lombardi, IMHO, would be excellent in that role.

I'm still trying to reconcile Pegula's comments about character & how/what Murray lacks in that department that resulted in his getting canned, if that in fact is what tipped the scales against him. Was it the apparent dressing room issues, the Eichel hates Bylsma rumors, his gruffness, or something else?

If he was willing to can Bylsma, I would rather have had him back (especially if Lombardi could have been brought in as Team President) but if he was adamant that Goober was coming back, I'm ok w/ him being shown the door as well.

Also interesting that the 2 Murray loyalists were relieved of duties along w/ the masseuse. Looking forward to PA's conspiracy theories on thise ones. ;)

Also interesting that the 2 Murray loyalists were relieved of duties along w/ the masseuse. Looking forward to PA's conspiracy theories on thise ones. ;)

A masseuse is a woman. Wait... Oh my God. Murray found out the two loyalists were getting free massages after games and went to slap Garlow's PP and got air? And Terry found out?

Put this in the FWIW column.  Last night I went out to watch the playoff games.  The establishment was featuring the Bulls game so it took some sweet talking to get the games on a corner tv. It also gave me a large table to myself.  Toward the end of the regulation of the Caps Leafs two guys in team gear came in and asked to join me to watch the endings. Then 3 more.came in and saw the other 2 and came over.  Turns out the USHL is running their combine at the rink near where I live.

I am hesitant to name names but one coach is the son of long time player and coach.  He was an assistant under Knoblauch in Erie and worked in the USNTDP when Jack, Matthews et al were there.  The other coach played in the LA system and his assistant had a cup of coffee with the B Sens and was also in the USNDTP for a while. Obviously I had to ask their opinion of the shake up.

To a man none had anything good to say about Murray. Devoid of empathy; lacks any desire to be around people or deal with the people side of the business.  And the son of the coach, his dad coached The Sens while Murray was there.  

To a person: Jack would never throw his worst enemy under a bus much less a coach.  Not his style.  All said the same thing, Jack draws people to him lime a moths to a flame.  Almost unhealthy drive to be the best, not just the best he can be.

To a man if they had the 1st pick in 2017, ...Cale Maker.  Most don't think he will report to UMass but go to the AHL affiliate 

And lastly, on TPegs.  One quote "if the owner isn't the biggest fan, he will never hate losing as much as the fans.  Consider yourself lucky."

I bought their beers and  wings and had a blast talking hockey with these guys.  I thanked them for doing God's work.   :worthy:  :beer: 

Great stuff; thanks.

Interesting post. Thanks for that.

Makes the 'reconcilliation of the character issue' I'd posted above easier to understand. Also, good to see more love for my boy Lombardi. ; )

:beer:

I'm still trying to reconcile Pegula's comments about character & how/what Murray lacks in that department that resulted in his getting canned, if that in fact is what tipped the scales against him. Was it the apparent dressing room issues, the Eichel hates Bylsma rumors, his gruffness, or something else?

Remember why Ralph fired Polian? I'd start there with Murray. I know I read somewhere yesterday that Kim was turned off by Tim's style.

can't help but wonder if maybe we could have kept GMTM who I thought was doing okay and just add a President who would oversee everything and bring some of that needed structure and communication throughout the chain of command. On the other hand, I do think Blysma had to go but finding a new coach is not such a big deal as it is now finding a new GM right before very important dates coming up. To think if we'd just have got babs things would be soooo different

@ 3putt

Good insight and thanks for sharing. Hope they right.

Me too.  Really fun night.  When the Caps scored I jumped up yelled F&%k Yeah!!!  Drawing eyes from around the room.  The latecomers asked Caps fan?  The two otbers said no Buffalo fan.  The latecomers:  ah that makes sense.

Remember why Ralph fired Polian? I'd start there with Murray. I know I read somewhere yesterday that Kim was turned off by Tim's style.

Seems that way. Hoping it doesn't turn out to be as huge a mistake as firing Polian was.

Again, my preferred path forward was bringing in Lombardi over Murray & moving forward from there. Would prefer him as Team President, but if Brandon is suction cupped to thst job, make Dean GM.

If Murray was going to give Bylsma 1 more kick at the can, I'm not as worried that canning ZFG was as big a mistake as punting Bill.

Well, he's going to do the bolded. The problem is, he made it abundantly clear yesterday that he's not going to sit back and let that person do his job. How many candidates is this going to scare off? Is this what spooked Babcock?

I don't think he said that.  He said ... he was going to be more involved with the hiring process, not once the hiring is done.

Unless, of course, I missed that.

PASabreFan, on 22 Apr 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

A masseuse is a woman. Wait... Oh my God. Murray found out the two loyalists were getting free massages after games and went to slap Garlow's PP and got air? And Terry found out?

Of all the tin foily things you have ever posted this is the tin foiliest.

Awesome!!

I don't think he said that.  He said ... he was going to be more involved with the hiring process, not once the hiring is done.

Unless, of course, I missed that.

He said he wasn't involved to any large extent in the Murray/Bylsma hires, and he regrets it. I assume that means he's going to be all-in with the president/GM hire, and then the coach hire, which should be the GM's pick.

Seems that way. Hoping it doesn't turn out to be as huge a mistake as firing Polian was.

Again, my preferred path forward was bringing in Lombardi over Murray & moving forward from there. Would prefer him as Team President, but if Brandon is suction cupped to thst job, make Dean GM.

If Murray was going to give Bylsma 1 more kick at the can, I'm not as worried that canning ZFG was as big a mistake as punting Bill.

Couple tidbits. Lombardi is a Mass boy. That might ring a bell. Also, he played hockey at Elmira College, which should gain the support of qwk, seen by observers to be critical.

Here's a quote from Ralph after he fired Polian:

"In the administration of this team, I think we'll have a more harmonious relationship amongst everybody. And I think that is very productive to future success."

How did harmonious work out? Hopefully discipline will work better for Pegula.

Edited by PASabreFan

Not bad. Was expecting a bit more but respectable for such short notice. :p

He said he wasn't involved to any large extent in the Murray/Byslma hires, and he regrets it. I assume that means he's going to be all-in with the president/GM hire, and then the coach hire, which should be the GM's pick.

No offence intended, but I hope you end up making an ass of yourself with your assumption here.

:nana:

Me too.  Really fun night.  When the Caps scored I jumped up yelled F&%k Yeah!!!  Drawing eyes from around the room.  The latecomers asked Caps fan?  The two otbers said no Buffalo fan.  The latecomers:  ah that makes sense.

So, that's my hockey heaven right there.  I would love to sit with some real inside people and just listen to them talk about the game and the business.  Outstanding.

Another morsel from last night. Knoblauch tells of talking with Bylsma at a clinic where he was asked you must have felt lucky stepping into the great situation in Pittsburgh and winning the cup. Bylsma' response was "who said it was such a great situation?" Implied: arrogant arse.

Great story. Thanks for putting some hope back in the tank.

After thinking about this over the last day. What about instead of firing doing something I have seen the Pens do here in Pittsburgh before. Relieve them of their previous duties but keep them since they are employed. They did this with Eddie Johnston. Made him a scout.

Send TM on the road doing just what he loves scouting. Keep him in a role he has done a fair job in and at least make him earn the salary your paying.

As far as dreary Dan he could clean the locker room for his great contribution to the team.

Here's another reminder of why TM is no more. He gave up a 3rd round draft choice to get his man Dreary Dan.

Another morsel from last night. Knoblauch tells of talking with Bylsma at a clinic where he was asked you must have felt lucky stepping into the great situation in Pittsburgh and winning the cup. Bylsma' response was "who said it was such a great situation?" Implied: arrogant arse.

Well the Pens were barely above .500 and five points out of a playoff spot and dealing with some serious injuries. Big picture: pretty great situation. Little picture: it was a tough spot to walk into. And not only make the playoffs but win it all.

Great post putt.

Knoublauch, who'd a thunk it?

I shall lead Wild into the light and all will be good. :nana:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.