PA was right: the Terry Pegula press conference thread.

dudacek

And I have to share this. With the exception of hockey McDavid is the worst athlete on the planet. The Otters wouldn't let him do the pre game soccer kick because he couldn't he would punt the ball into the rafters or drill it off a

teammates head. It was said in fun, but one story was about a golf outing where he was told to just drive the cart so no one got hurt. Seems he was put here to do one thing ridiculously well. Jack, they said is the opposite. If he loved say baseball more than hockey he would be in the major leagues. Great athlete and self driven.

Great stuff, all of it!

McDavid tried to walk in front of my car back when he was at the combine. He came out of the HarborCenter with Strome, Marner and a couple others I didn't recognize without paying attention. Luckily I was driving slow, to see if I could see some players; and Strome grabbed him before he had fully walked over the curb.

They seem to want it both ways. Kim was involved in the evaluation process that resulted in Murray and Bylsma being fired, yet she couldn't sit up there and face the music along with her husband. I honestly STILL don't know whether to say Pegula or Pegulas when I reference the owner/s of the Sabres.

Great stuff, all of it!

McDavid tried to walk in front of my car back when he was at the combine. He came out of the HarborCenter with Strome, Marner and a couple others I didn't recognize without paying attention. Luckily I was driving slow, to see if I could see some players; and Strome grabbed him before he had fully walked over the curb.

What an opportunity. The Brittle One would have ended up with more broken bones than Evil Knievel. And no jury of your peers would have convicted you.

Great stuff, all of it!

So, you're sayin' that if not for Strome's quick reaction & resourcefulness that Eichel would be an Euler, Buffalo would have either Strome or Marner, & McClavicle would be in Doggie Heaven? :o

Luckily, he was on the ball. ;)

:lol:

Just because she's a woman doesn't mean that she is right. There is no reason she should be involved with the team. She brings nothing to the table. What does she know about hockey? She doesn't have any successful management experience of her own or any experience with hockey whatsoever. Why should she of all people be calling the shots?

But you're cool with Terry, even though the same is true of him? Gotcha. By the way, how do you know what experience Kim has or doesn't have? 

Just because she's a woman doesn't mean that she is right. There is no reason she should be involved with the team. She brings nothing to the table. What does she know about hockey? She doesn't have any successful management experience of her own or any experience with hockey whatsoever. Why should she of all people be calling the shots?

Not sure if I said it in this thread or another, but what does Jeremy Jacobs know about hockey?  What did George Steinbrenner know about baseball?  What did Eddie deBartolo know about football?  

Seriously, owners who know their sport are the tiny exception and not the rule.

Not sure if I said it in this thread or another, but what does Jeremy Jacobs know about hockey?  What did George Steinbrenner know about baseball?  What did Eddie deBartolo know about football?  

As long as they can create a solid organization with the right people they don't need to know the sport that well at all

FWIW, Theo Epstein is a big 'character' guy too. He places a ton of emphasis on it for his players and his front office; you want dedicated people, people who not only will do the right things, but create a good, fun culture, and love what they do.

Know who else preaches that? The Patriots. Their entire model is getting guys who simply just love football for the game and competition, not the fame and money.

So, maybe Pegula has something here. Who knows. But if Epstein believes it, so do I

Interesting take. I kinda like it.

But you're cool with Terry, even though the same is true of him? Gotcha. By the way, how do you know what experience Kim has or doesn't have? 

Shill much Promo? No I'm not cool with Terry. He has succeeded in business on his own but is an inarticulate butcher when it comes to being a sports owner. He needs someone with experience to manage it for him and stay out of it.             He can't find one. He can't decide. Does anyone know of any experience that Kim Pegula has in hockey? Anything outside of Uncle Terry; apparently not. She's been with him since age 22. Marrying Terry and working in his businesses IS her business experience. She's an opportunist. She hasn't forged anything independently of him. Probably a similar situation with Trump with Ivanka and Kushner, and Bill Clinton with Hillary, except Trump and Clinton got elected and Terry bought this. This appears to be pure nepotism. If they want to run an organization based on this, I don't agree with it...that's me. She's completely inappropriate for the influence that she has. And she is not a person to be looked up to and neither is Terry. They need to find someone who knows what they're doing and step back. If we need the NHL to make that decision, so be it.

I have far more respect for women who forge their own path, whatever their lot in life, rather than those who glom onto Richie Rich.

btw Out of curiosity, anyone know the name of Pegula's first wife....has she passed away? He had two children with her...

Jacobs' family owned the AHL champion Buffalo Bisons. Steinbrenner owned a team in the old ABL (American Basketball League) in 1960. Sure he became the gorilla in the room but the good ones know how to budget, step back and manage and that's what these successful owners have done.

Edited by Marvelo

I'll say a little but I'm not going hunting for crap to debate your position.

Kim is largely known as understanding people and a relationship builder.  Terry is very much a business person.  Together they could actually be a good match as a leadership team.  Most owners don't have experience, so your experience mantra falls flat from a sports owner perspective.  Management experience?  There are people in this world who have the ability to succeed without failing first.  It happens.

Should I have had a few failed marriages before I got it right?  I mean, I was engaged before I left college and have been married over 20 years now.

Rather than speaking of specific accomplishments and judging her for her actual abilities you are creating a story based on pure speculation "just a plaything for Kim". If, at age 22, she was undecided on her life and she wandered the world a bit, so what?  A lot of people do that.  So she meets a guy, they fall in love, they've been married for quite some time now.  How does any of that support that she is only married for the money and has no abilities whatsoever?

If you are frustrated with the teams that's cool, but I urge you to rethink your position statement.

The irony is something, for sure.

But I think what Terry is going for here is not about hockey, it's about organizational culture, which apparently is something he should know about. He's basically said: Murray created/allowed a culture that is not reflective of my way of doing business. I take responsibility for putting him in charge without personal due diligence into those factors and I won't make the same mistake again.

The thing is, Lafontaine hired Murray to be the hockey guy; his supposed warts were OK, because Patty balanced them off as the organizational/culture guy and the face of the team. They had the trendy "Leaf model" in place.

I'm way behind on this thread, but just for fun, I feel like calling it the trendy "Avs model" instead.  It just goes to show you that it's far more about the people than it is the model.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.