Okposo Hospitalized - Update: Reportedly Doing "Much Better"

That Aud Smell

I just think there's more to this story. Adverse effects are a common occurrence. Ones that land you in the neurological ICU for days are extremely rare. We're not talking "this drug made me dizzy". We're talking stroke and the likes.

Exactly.  We are far away from feeling comfortable that KO will be playing this fall, IMHO.

I just think there's more to this story. Adverse effects are a common occurrence. Ones that land you in the neurological ICU for days are extremely rare. We're not talking "this drug made me dizzy". We're talking stroke and the likes. But, who knows. Maybe he became dizzy in the shower, slipped, hit his head and suffered a brain bleed.

I wonder if he was on something like Lamictal after his concussion. It is used for migraines and seizures. That can cause a potentially fatal Stevens Johnson syndrome. While scary, once treated, I don't think would impact him playing next year and I would still worry more about his concussion history than the SJS.

I wonder if he was on something like Lamictal after his concussion. It is used for migraines and seizures. That can cause a potentially fatal Stevens Johnson syndrome. While scary, once treated, I don't think would impact him playing next year and I would still worry more about his concussion history than the SJS.

It can definitely cause toxic epidermal necrolysis (bad form of SJS), but that doesn't cause you to be admitted to a neuro ICU (maybe the burn unit if anything).

The list that causes you to end up in neuro ICU is not lengthy. We can rule out brain tumor. Could be trauma related if he loss consciousness and hit head. Could be encephalitis/meningitis, but these shouldn't be drug related. This leaves noninfectious brain edema or stroke as potential causes.

Anyone recall when Okposo suffered the apparent head trauma associated with this incident?

He was out for ~3 weeks with ribs, and then returned to play 2 games (TOR and FLA) before this issue arose. His TOI in those games was not quite what it usually was, but it was 15+ minutes.

Is there some incident that occurred that was overlooked and/or that I have forgotten?

Keep in mind that Okposo would be a VIP and placed in units that people with the same diagnosis would not be

While I don't flat out disagree with this, I can't say I agree. ICU beds are at very high premium. You have to be damn sick and I can't see ICU physicians agreeing to keep him in there at the expense of a nobody who does. As much as people rail on the American healthcare system, equity exists for the very sick. Now, if they were at 20% capacity, then maybe they would. But, why the neuro ICU then? That hints at a certain amount of specificity.

This still sounds very shaky as to whether he will regain full health, let alone be able to play NHL hockey this fall.

I like Okposo's game but I think he was damaged goods when we got him. The detached retina is a very serious injury for a hockey player, especially with the continuing possibility of concussions. I want him to be well and stay well with that kind of injury for sure. It doesn't appear to be much precedent or timetable for his injury....I think Okposo as a reliable part of this roster, is just as you say, shaky.

Hmmm.

If the Sabres trade Kane and Okposo isn't able to continue longterm because of health reasons, there's an immediate lack of scoring without replacement right there. And the Sabres just came back from a historically low goal scoring drought. I think you keep Kane in case Okposo doesn't pan out.

Edited by Marvelo

If the Sabres trade Kane and Okposo isn't able to continue longterm because of health reasons, there's an immediate lack of scoring without replacement right there. And the Sabres just came back from a historically low goal scoring drought. I think you keep Kane in case Okposo doesn't pan out.

Let's just hope that Botterill has the information necessary to make an informed decision. I would think Kane isn't dealt unless JBot is reasonably confident Okposo will be suiting up for the Sabres.

Let's just hope that Botterill has the information necessary to make an informed decision. I would think Kane isn't dealt unless JBot is reasonably confident Okposo will be suiting up for the Sabres.

He sounded confident when asked about Okposo yesterday.

I don't think Okposo affects what we do with Kane at all 

I don't think Okposo affects what we do with Kane at all 

totally agree...I think we move Kane because there is this new  mandate to have good, issue-free locker-room and Kane with his previous issues is a sure victim of this...just as we never seriously considered Tochett because of his previous "issues"

totally agree...I think we move Kane because there is this new mandate to have good, issue-free locker-room and Kane with his previous issues is a sure victim of this...just as we never seriously considered Tochett because of his previous "issues"

And Kane has no issues in the Sabres locker room. So why is that a thing?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• 1 month later...

Okposo is playing in the Da Beauty League in Minnesota.

A summer league for NHLers. Bogo, Nelson, Fasching and the Sabres Future Nobel Peace Prize Winner are also playing

Hopefully he doesn't get too close to Mittlestadt. Casey's intellectual strength might be jarring. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.