Okposo Hospitalized - Update: Reportedly Doing "Much Better"

That Aud Smell

From a hockey stand point, losing KO is a terrible blow to the rebuild and GMTM must already be working on a contingency plan if KO can't resume his hockey career next season. If he has a long-term illness then he goes on LTIR but that money is only useable once we reach the cap. It does open up a opportunity for one of our RW prospects like Bailey, Fasching or Baptiste. I think you might also we GMTM go after local boy and college UFA Iafallo who plays a rugged around the net game.

I have a sister that has survived a brain tumor and this situation reminds me of how long it took to discover exactly what was wrong with her. She was KO's age when we found the tumor. My thoughts and prayers are with KO and his family because I know how hard this is.

Talked to a couple ER docs this morning, not know anything except the reported timeline of him feeling off for a little while then checking in to a hospital and the neuro icu their first guess was possible flu like viral spinal menengitis. One said its serious but self limiting if so and complete recovery yes. Only concern would be for teamates, other players and anyone he has come in contact with. Pure speculation, but timeline fits and reported statements that he will be fine fits too.

Talked to a couple ER docs this morning, not know anything except the reported timeline of him feeling off for a little while then checking in to a hospital and the neuro icu their first guess was possible flu like viral spinal menengitis. One said its serious but self limiting if so and complete recovery yes. Only concern would be for teamates, other players and anyone he has come in contact with. Pure speculation, but timeline fits and reported statements that he will be fine fits too.

Who said he would be fine?

one of the Islander players said it sounds like he will be fine.

Cal clutterbuck said it: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-players-concerned-for-hospitalized-ex-teammate-kyle-okposo-1.13372462

Without Wawrow's reporting (and Hammy acting like he knows something, which is never the case), I wouldn't have much any stock into Clutterbuck's quote. But put together it sounds encouraging.

I used to cover the NICU at Buffalo General and know the staff there very well. I haven't asked anyone directly because of HIPAA, but from the rumblings I have heard meningitis appears correct. Whether it's viral or bacterial I'm not sure of.

Awesome, our Doc said menengitis is associated with a high fever hence the reason for ICU, but it is self limiting because of high fever. If this is the case, probably why he was discharged so quickly once fever is gone. hmmm Glad its over for KO.

Meningitis, viral, who knows where he got it, they prolly did a spinal, gave some steroids, some abx... I think he'll be just fine. I'd suspect bacterial meningitis would not be discharged so quickly. I'm not an internal medicine/hospitalist but that's my educated opinion.

I'm not a 100% sure he has been discharged. He has been moved from the NICU I believe.

This had me really wondering for a second - in my world NICU means Neonatal ICU!

As I believe has already been mentioned, the well being of public figures is of interest to all of us. However, personal health issues are much different than injuries sustained on-ice, and privacy (or some would say, secrecy) is owed him. Kudos, as it appears all of the posters have been respectful of this point!

Best wishes to KO for a full recovery!

Dad and Dad are doing just fine! My God, no wonder they kept it all so hush-hush. Can you imagine the long game Pegula is playing here with hockey genes?

Thanks for the chuckle, Park. It feels like we can finally breathe and joke a little.

This might be jumping the gun a little. There's a lot we don't know. But if Kyle had a serious but treatable condition and was expected to be OK (as, apparently, one of his Islander teammates found out), was there a better way to keep the fans informed in that general sense? The whole episode was pretty terrifying to me, but I have a good imagination and tend to think the worst.

I understand privacy issues, but would a professional athlete in Buffalo and his family really want virtually nothing disclosed to the public, not even a statement to the effect that, "He has a serious illness, but the prognosis is good."? This of course assumes that Kyle didn't make a miracle recovery after things initially looked bleak.

Prepared for the "the fans are owed nothing" responses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.