Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Is Pederson coming with him? If not, then hell no.

I've never been so happy to be wrong about a game. Keep in mind, I don't believe in the "QB wins" stuff that goes around. But you better damn well believe when "best QB in history" debates happen, I'm going to play the "Brady lost to Nick Foles" card :lol:

I know you are kinda joking, and this really isn’t referencing your post specifically, but on a tangent, this reminded me that it always grinds my gears when people will point to an “unblemished” SB record, like say a certain 4-0, as somehow being better than a 5-3. I never get that. The guy that went 4-0 still lost, just more often earlier on in the playoffs, while the other guy made it further before he lost.

Why some try to count that as a negative against the guy making it all the way to the big game a little more often, I’ll never understand.

5-5 > 5-3.

Imagine thinking Brady’s (or anyone’s) legacy could be adversely affected by making it to two MORE Superbowls.

I know you are kinda joking, and this really isn’t referencing your post specifically, but on a tangent, this reminded me that it always grinds my gears when people will point to an “unblemished” SB record, like say a certain 4-0, as somehow being better than a 5-3. I never get that. The guy that went 4-0 still lost, just more often earlier on in the playoffs, while the other guy made it further before he lost.

Why some try to count that as a negative against the guy making it all the way to the big game a little more often, I’ll never understand.

5-5 > 5-3.

Imagine thinking Brady’s (or anyone’s) legacy could be adversely affected by making it to two MORE Superbowls.

Of course, back when QB's could be hit, NOBODY (but Blanda) played to 40. So, the longevity type records he's got need to be viewed through the lens of his only facing 1 real injury (& the league changing the rules to make sure the play that led to his ONLY injury was made illegal) & playing healthily far longer than his predecessors. (Shoot, Kelly was never the same after he messed up his shoulder in the friggin' Pro Bowl. :angry:)

Of course, back when QB's could be hit, NOBODY (but Blanda) played to 40. So, the longevity type records he's got need to be viewed through the lens of his only facing 1 real injury (& the league changing the rules to make sure the play that led to his ONLY injury was made illegal) & playing healthily far longer than his predecessors. (Shoot, Kelly was never the same after he messed up his shoulder in the friggin' Pro Bowl. :angry:)

For sure, but my point is more that losses in a SB shouldn’t be seen as a blemish relative to a loss earlier on. Which I think happens a fair bit. If two players play 15 seasons each, and one goes 5-0 in the SB and the other goes 5-5, the second guy had the better career (whatever else being equal).

Most career records have a strong longevity component, of course.

And Championships is a team accomplishment. Yet people will often quantify individual greatness by both.

*Also, at least partial credit to Brett Favre on your first point. He played till 40, well, and a good portion of his earlier career had some real hitting going on.

5-5 > 5-3.

Because people are terrible at ranking athletes/teams/things in historical context...or at all, really. 

For sure, but my point is more that losses in a SB shouldn’t be seen as a blemish relative to a loss earlier on. Which I think happens a fair bit. If two players play 15 seasons each, and one goes 5-0 in the SB and the other goes 5-5, the second guy had the better career (whatever else being equal).

Most career records have a strong longevity component, of course.

And Championships is a team accomplishment. Yet people will often quantify individual greatness by both.

*Also, at least partial credit to Brett Favre on your first point. He played till 40, well, and a good portion of his earlier career had some real hitting going on.

Agreed once again. There is little in the world that drives me as batty as judging individuals on team metrics the way the sports world does with championships.

Geez - Patricia's defense got frickin' smoked. Good luck to you, Detroit Lions.

There'd been a lot of talk about how that D had been much, much better the last 2/3 of the season. And I'm sure they had been. It was enjoyable to see them revert to stinking up the joint. 

p.s. Where the heck was Malcolm Butler?

Geez - Patricia's defense got frickin' smoked. Good luck to you, Detroit Lions.

There'd been a lot of talk about how that D had been much, much better the last 2/3 of the season. And I'm sure they had been. It was enjoyable to see them revert to stinking up the joint. 

p.s. Where the heck was Malcolm Butler?

I'm not sure they were even better so much as stat-padding against bad offenses. Post bye week opponents: Denver, Oakland, Miami x2, Buffalo x2, Jets, Pittsburgh. That's one real offense in the bunch.

Edit: Oh, and the Malcolm Butler thing...maybe there's more to the story that we'll get in the coming days, but it strikes me as a perfect example of Belichick drinking his own koolaid. Sometimes, even the best blunder.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

In 2018, a 75-year-old local play by play guy who has done his team's games since the 70s will call that team's first championship. It won't be Rick Jeanneret.

That's great. I still hold out hope that RJ will get a chance to let us all know that the Sabres have (finally) won the Stanley Cup.

My hatred of Philly does not extend past the Flyers. So, I am happy for the Eagles, their fans and the city.

I don't dislike the Patriots, or Brady, but I really don't like when one team dominates in any sport for what seems like forever.

I'm not sure they were even better so much as stat-padding against bad offenses. Post bye week opponents: Denver, Oakland, Miami x2, Buffalo x2, Jets, Pittsburgh. That's one real offense in the bunch.

Edit: Oh, and the Malcolm Butler thing...maybe there's more to the story that we'll get in the coming days, but it strikes me as a perfect example of Belichick drinking his own koolaid. Sometimes, even the best blunder.

Definitely a huge mistake. He’s human after all. And realistically, between Bill and Tom, Bill may have worn out his welcome in NE sooner.

Would not have predicted that.

But there have been warning bells sounding of the impending doom of the Patriots dynasty several times before. I’ll believe it when I see it.

In 2018, a 75-year-old local play by play guy who has done his team's games since the 70s will call that team's first championship. It won't be Rick Jeanneret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4vdqPcGJI4&spfreload=10

I've listened to a few of the games called by Reese when doing yard work; he calls a good game in an old-school style.

Definitely a huge mistake. He’s human after all. And realistically, between Bill and Tom, Bill may have worn out his welcome in NE sooner.

Would not have predicted that.

But there have been warning bells sounding of the impending doom of the Patriots dynasty several times before. I’ll believe it when I see it.

One thing the Pats have going for them is the pathetic state of the AFC. The NFC is pretty loaded with teams that should be good for awhile, but who is there in the AFC? Maybe the Texans if Watson can continue where he left off pre-injury, or the Chiefs if Mahomes is what they think he is. But that's really it, right? The Colts have Luck, but that roster is a complete mess. Roethlisberger is nearing the end of the line in Pittsburgh. The Raiders need about 10 players on defense, and are being led by a coach who hasn't done anything in a decade. They don't have to be as good as they have been, just better than the rest. Looking at the landscape of the conference, I don't think that's too tall of a task.

I dunno, that happened an hour ago, followed by 2 players, and still no sign of Drunkard :P

F5 waiting for Belichick to announce retirement

I watched the game, but none of the hoopla afterwards so I didn't see it. If whatever guy wants to thank his imaginary friend for helping him win, I don't care, I'm just happy the Massholes lost. As I've said before, I'd root for ISIS to defeat Boston. If Massholeland was was destroyed by a volcano and every single one of them died a painful death with their skin on fire, I'd sleep well, while still thinkig they got off too easy.

I personally don't like religion, but I'm fine with people being religious. I really just don't like it in the work place or in government. When people in authority use their power to push a faith based agenda I feel the need to push back and jab at it.

I personally don't like religion, but I'm fine with people being religious. I really just don't like it in the work place or in government. When people in authority use their power to push a faith based agenda I feel the need to push back and jab at it.

I'm religious, but when the first words out of an athletes mouth is his personal testimonial, it turns my stomach.  Ugh.  This is football, not church.

I'm religious, but when the first words out of an athletes mouth is his personal testimonial, it turns my stomach.  Ugh.  This is football, not church.

As someone who's religiously observant and has questioned and chirped the Bills' McDermott era for being, in no small part, "faith-based", I can't say I share this sort of antipathy.

Football is a harsh and brutal game. Whatever gets a player through the season is fine by me.

Maybe someday someone will give thanks to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm religious, but when the first words out of an athletes mouth is his personal testimonial, it turns my stomach. Ugh. This is football, not church.

See that only grinds me in the way that people thank God for the good, but (outside of Stevie Johnson that one time) nobody blames him when they lose. All the credit and none of the blame. They sure seem to set the expectations bar pretty low for a supposedly omnipotent being.

I have religious co-workers and I don't feel the need to argue with them. I work for the government though, so I'm lucky enough to not have to deal with higher ups who are allowed to push religious fundraisers or even secular ones for school or other crap that isn't work related.

When I worked in the private sector though (especially for smaller businesses) I saw stuff like that all the time and it bothered me. Nothing like a guy earning 3 or 4 times what his underlings make shaking them down for money so his kids's private school can raise money for uniforms, sports equipment, or some Jesus play. I've been pressured to buy more overpriced fundraiser donuts from Krispy Kreme than I can even count. That's abuse of power, no matter what the "charity" is, but throw the cloak of religion over it and they somehow get a pass.

Well, 2 questionable TD calls on Philly TDs went against the Pats in the SB.

How does that fit with the "the NFL wants the Pats to win" conspiracy theory?

*Puts on tinfoil hat*

Those were calculated, intentional calls to go against New England. Our colony of NFL/Pats truthers is growing so fast that the NFL needed to cloak their true intentions.

*Takes tinfoil hat off*

Yeah, it was nice to see a few calls go against them in the biggest game of the year.

Edited by The Dominator

As someone who's religiously observant and has questioned and chirped the Bills' McDermott era for being, in no small part, "faith-based", I can't say I share this sort of antipathy.

Football is a harsh and brutal game. Whatever gets a player through the season is fine by me.

Maybe someday someone will give thanks to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg

We can only hope that someday his noodlyness will one day enjoy the same protections that other faiths enjoy. Cult + time = religion, so maybe it'll happen eventually.

Well, 2 questionable TD calls on Philly TDs went against the Pats in the SB.

How does that fit with the "the NFL wants the Pats to win" conspiracy theory?

I think the only person on the planet who thought that the Ertz TD was controversial was Cris Collinsworth.

And it's a testament to how often they get the benefit of those calls to even think that wasn't a touchdown.

And they missed the blatant PI on the 2 pt conversion. :devil:

Two? The Ertz TD was in no way, shape, or form, questionable. 

Coworker is currently complaining that it was no way a catch. Also said she didn't want the Eagles to win because the Pats were better, and doesn't like giving teams 'participation trophies just because they've never won'

Speechless