What to do with the captain?

dudacek

Gionta  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Brian Gionta?

• Keep him and re-sign him. He's an asset
    • Trade him because we need the return, but tell him we want him back next year
    • Trade him and wave goodbye. It's time to pass the torch
    • Keep him out of respect, but don't re-sign him because it's time to move on

There was a time, about a year ago when game day threads were full of pissing and moaning about Brian Gionta.

Why is he playing with Jack? He should be on the fourth line. He's lost his hands. His feet. He's done.

Then he got moved on to a line with Foligno and Larsson.

And Larsson, an until-then disappointing centrepiece to the Jason Pominville trade started to look like an NHL hockey player.

And Foligno the poster child for inconsistency reeled off a 40 game stretch of good hockey that he carried into this fall.

Then Larsson got hurt and Bylsma juggled the lines matching Gionta with Girgensons and Kane.

And Girgensons, a lost soul in his first year and a half under Bylsma starting looking the player he was under Ted Nolan, playing hard, plus hockey at about a 40-point pace.

And the much-reviled Kane turned into one of the best 5-on-5 goal scorers in the NHL, producing at a 60-point pace and actually passing the puck.

Foligno, meanwhile, got shuffled over to a line with whiz kid Eichel, where he has promptly withered and died.

Gionta is on track for 15-20 goals and 40 points this season. He is the 32nd-highest-scoring RW in the NHL, 26th at even strength.

He is also a free agent this summer. What should Murray do with him?

Edited by dudacek

Trade him at the deadline and re-sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal in the offseason.

Easier said than done. If Gionta is going to sign a 1 or 2 year deal, why Buffalo and not a team that'll be competitive next season? I know he's marginally local, but if I'm him and my goal is a shot at the cup in the next 2 years, Buffalo is not where I'm signing.

I think approaching him and asking what he wants is the first step.  If he wants to go to another team for a shot in the playoffs, try to make that happen, but don't give him away.  If you can pull a decent prospect for him...or maybe trade him and a 4th and get a 2nd back then go for it.

As for his future:  He is playing well now, but when players get older you just don't know when they will hit that way.  I'd be fine with having him back next year...but ONLY on a 1 year deal.  If he wants to keep playing and he is still playing well, from this point on he is a year-to-year contract guy.  If someone else wants to give him 2 to 3 years...then let them do it.

If he IS back, I'm fine with him being captain.  If O'Reilly eventually is the captain, I don't think waiting one more year will hurt his feelings.  As for Eichel...1, 2, or maybe 3 more years before he gets the C won't hurt him either.

Easier said than done. If Gionta is going to sign a 1 or 2 year deal, why Buffalo and not a team that'll be competitive next season? I know he's marginally local, but if I'm him and my goal is a shot at the cup in the next 2 years, Buffalo is not where I'm signing.

If that's the case so be it. I'd rather see him walk than sign him to an albatross type contract like Moulson.

Trade and don't bring back. I'd rather get rid of an older player too early than too late, ala Moulson. Deminishing returns, no guarentee that he doesn't fall off. They have enough faster young forwards ready to move up next season. Make ROR captain, give Eichel an A.

I don't think option 2 is a thing. He's probably worth a 3rd or 4th round pick.

As a rental? With a Stanley Cup ring and the way he's been playing?

Last year's veteran winger rental market:

• Stempniak got a 4th and a 2nd
  • Boedker a 2nd and a prospect (unsigned 1st-rounder)
  • Veersteeg got a prospect (former 2nd-rounder)
  • McGinn got a 3rd that could have upgraded to a 2nd
  • Purcell got a 3rd
  • Hudler got a 2nd and a 4th
  • Fleichmann and Weise got a prospect (former 1st) and a 2nd
  • Ladd got a 1st and a prospect (former 1st)

Is there a player on that list that is playing better than Gionta right now?

I don't see him getting a Ladd return, but I will very disappointed if he doesn't get at least a McGinn return

Edited by dudacek

I'll put this out there.  Gionta wants to be in Buffalo more than anywhere else.  He does not want to be traded but he expects he will be. So basically he's not telling Murray to NOT trade him.

I've said in other threads I expect him in MTL or CBJ and I think the Sabres will get a good return for him.  

I do believe they would want him back next year and I am pretty certain he would come back in a 1 year deal if it included a no movement clause.

These are things I've been told by someone who knows him very well.

I would trade him because he will bring in valuable returns and because they should be able to bring him back next year and he should be on this team.  He brings a LOT to that roster and the locker room.  Beyond anything else he's a leader and that leadership can't be undervalued.

It seems to boil down to communication and working together. 

Gionta is a team guy, and looks at what GMTM has done with Moulson. 

I know we don't like the Moulson deal, but if GMTM over payed to earn some well needed player respect for the Sabres organization on the *seasoned vet front* that Detroit seemed to have and we longed for, it is/was well worth it.

Because the end result of the Moulson deal means Gointa is willing give GMTM the benefit of the doubt that he will keep his word for a trade/bring back scenario.

I'll put this out there. Gionta wants to be in Buffalo more than anywhere else. He does not want to be traded but he expects he will be. So basically he's not telling Murray to NOT trade him.

I've said in other threads I expect him in MTL or CBJ and I think the Sabres will get a good return for him.

I do believe they would want him back next year and I am pretty certain he would come back in a 1 year deal if it included a no movement clause.

These are things I've been told by someone who knows him very well.

I would trade him because he will bring in valuable returns and because they should be able to bring him back next year and he should be on this team. He brings a LOT to that roster and the locker room. Beyond anything else he's a leader and that leadership can't be undervalued.

What value do you think he can return? I'd be shocked if it was more than a 3rd.

Because he's an hour away from his wife and kids.

Not saying that's the only consideration, but it's definitely gotta be in the mix.

This is nearly an impossible decision. I started an earlier thread about possibly re-signing him. He has done nothing but play his butt off for us and this season he has played as he did in Montreal. Hard to part with an asset like him.

Right now I'm in the trade him camp if he wants a shot at the playoffs regardless of the return. Re-signing him will depend on cost, years and the play of kids like Baptiste and Bailey. Certainly Gionta has more NHL games in him. It's just a question of where next year, but if he wants to return GMTM would have to consider it.

Whatever the decision, as much as he has helped the team and been a good soldier i'm not sure they should bring him back. It seems rather a backstep in the overall big picture of building the team for long term stanley cup success.

His contributions to that have already happened, not enough can be said about what he (and Gorges) have shown the younger players on the team about the

game of hockey and life in general.

A lesser role, 6-10 minutes a game on the 4th line, ok but i don't know if he's ready for that yet?

Hey, I've been one of Folignos biggest boosters, but you have to admit, the past month has been his worst stretch in a year.

Yep, Jack and Sam seem to know intuitively where each other is going to be, but they haven't quite figured out how to utilize Marcus.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Because he's an hour away from his wife and kids.

Not saying that's the only consideration, but it's definitely gotta be in the mix.

He actually has a house in Buffalo too.  I am pretty certain they are living there and go back to their house on Lake Ontario in the off-season.

What value do you think he can return? I'd be shocked if it was more than a 3rd.

I wouldn't be.  He can slot anywhere in the lineup and be effective, has leadership, and on an expiring contract in a season with an expansion draft. He's a great rental player for a team in a seller's market.  I think he at least gets a 2nd.  I wouldn't be surprised if a team is willing to give up a low first rounder for him, the 2017 draft class is looking pretty thin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.