What to do with the captain?

dudacek

Gionta  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Brian Gionta?

• Keep him and re-sign him. He's an asset
    • Trade him because we need the return, but tell him we want him back next year
    • Trade him and wave goodbye. It's time to pass the torch
    • Keep him out of respect, but don't re-sign him because it's time to move on

He actually has a house in Buffalo too. I am pretty certain they are living there and go back to their house on Lake Ontario in the off-season.

I wouldn't be. He can slot anywhere in the lineup and be effective, has leadership, and on an expiring contract in a season with an expansion draft. He's a great rental player for a team in a seller's market. I think he at least gets a 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if a team is willing to give up a low first rounder for him, the 2017 draft class is looking pretty thin.

I will eat my hat if he gets traded for a 1st.

Trade him while value is high, get an asset and sign him on a 1 year deal.  Also, take into consideration what he prefers to do.  I doubt he wants to move his family too far.  He's been a warrior.  Being from the town I grew up in most of my life, I have the umpteenth respect for the Gionta family.

Trade him while value is high, get an asset and sign him on a 1 year deal. Also, take into consideration what he prefers to do. I doubt he wants to move his family too far. He's been a warrior. Being from the town I grew up in most of my life, I have the umpteenth respect for the Gionta family.

The Gionta family ain't going nowheres. These eye-talians stick close to their Madre. Not to mention the roots he has in Rochester. I'd be mildly surprised if he wanted to go anywhere.

His play has been a pleasant surprise. The guy still has gas left in the tank.

In terms of what to do, this is where my mind first turned:

I think approaching him and asking what he wants is the first step.  

And I'd like to think that the Sabres could get a 2nd or promising (D?) prospect for him. Hopefully, he'd be open to moving to a Cup-contending situation for the spring.

In the 2017 draft a low 1st round is the equivalent of a 2nd round pick.  I've not seen anyone predict even a semi-deep draft class.

I agree, and would just add (although perhaps it's redundant with your post) that I'd rather have, say, the Sabres' 2nd-rounder (probably around pick #38) plus a 2nd-rounder from a contender (pick #55), than the contender's #1 (pick #25).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.