The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

On 2/1/2022 at 12:39 PM, bob_sauve28 said:

I started beeping my horn this morning at a school bus. The kid wasn't coming out of the house and they just sat there waiting blocking traffic. BS! The kid isn't on time, too bad, move on! 

In our old neighborhood we had a "short bus" kid.  He was in a wheelchair and it took about 5-10 minutes to get him loaded/unloaded.  If I saw the bus was there I'd just turn around and go another way.  A little different situation though it sounds like.

59 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Why is everyone using tik Tok now?  It seems to be the same thing as YouTube only Chinese.  Or is there something attractive about it that I am missing?

I’m genuinely shocked it gets the usage it does considering that our government was legit planning to outlaw it based on security concerns.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new truck today. I’d have gone to the awesome thread. I have every reason to.

Great deal on an awesome truck.

Great value for my trade-in. 

I just really love my old truck. I’ve driven it for seven years. Tons of family trips. Tons of good memories.

Sadly it had 150,000+ miles and with my new position I travel a lot and don’t have any free time to tinker. I swapped out the heater coolant line and upper radiator hose on Saturday not because I thought I’d get better value but because that old truck earned it!

I hope the next owner treats it as well. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Ogre said:

I bought a new truck today. I’d have gone to the awesome thread. I have every reason to.

Great deal on an awesome truck.

Great value for my trade-in. 

I just really love my old truck. I’ve driven it for seven years. Tons of family trips. Tons of good memories.

Sadly it had 150,000+ miles and with my new position I travel a lot and don’t have any free time to tinker. I swapped out the heater coolant line and upper radiator hose on Saturday not because I thought I’d get better value but because that old truck earned it!

I hope the next owner treats it as well. 

Enjoy the new ride.

I love my trucks, I’ve had many since the mid 80s. Not as fuel efficient as a car but way more useful for what I have done.

I was listening to a story about the new F150 Lightning. They are all pre ordered for the first run. Most truck owners interviewed were leery about getting one. The main issues were range, lack of charging facilities, especially where they go to camp, fish, hunt etc… I don’t go as deep in the bush as I used to (feel free to comment Inky) but that would concern me as well. I wonder if solar panels as a tonneau cover would help?

Out of curiosity, what brand did you get? Not looking for an argument, I’ve driven every brand between work and personal use.

Edited by French Collection

58 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Enjoy the new ride.

I love my trucks, I’ve had many since the mid 80s. Not as fuel efficient as a car but way more useful for what I have done.

I was listening to a story about the new F150 Lightning. They are all pre ordered for the first run. Most truck owners interviewed were leery about getting one. The main issues were range, lack of charging facilities, especially where they go to camp, fish, hunt etc… I don’t go as deep in the bush as I used to (feel free to comment Inky) but that would concern me as well. I wonder if solar panels as a tonneau cover would help?

Out of curiosity, what brand did you get? Not looking for an argument, I’ve driven every brand between work and personal use.

I think it'd help, but maybe only if you stayed put for a few days. I don' think a couple m^2 of solar panels are going to charge it too fast. A quick Google tells me sunlight at best is 1360W per m^2 for 4 hours per day, and solar panels are 20% efficient. With those numbers, a well-trained human on a bike can beat those numbers (in theory I can average 220W for an hour, and I'm *not* well trained). So really, the answer is include a stationary bike-generator with the truck.

In reality, if you have that use case and you only own one car this may not be the vehicle for you. Our plan here is to have an electric car as our daily car and our very low-use second car will be gas. My car hasn't left our property since December.

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I think it'd help, but maybe only if you stayed put for a few days. I don' think a couple m^2 of solar panels are going to charge it too fast. A quick Google tells me sunlight at best is 1360W per m^2 for 4 hours per day, and solar panels are 20% efficient. With those numbers, a well-trained human on a bike can beat those numbers (in theory I can average 220W for an hour, and I'm *not* well trained). So really, the answer is include a stationary bike-generator with the truck.

In reality, if you have that use case and you only own one car this may not be the vehicle for you. Our plan here is to have an electric car as our daily car and our very low-use second car will be gas. My car hasn't left our property since December.

Thanks for the info.

The panels may give you a couple of extra miles I guess, but it would take days to get a significant charge.

The range is lowered a lot when towing is involved. Many people around here have RVs, boats, snowmobiles, ATVs that they tow around.

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Thanks for the info.

The panels may give you a couple of extra miles I guess, but it would take days to get a significant charge.

The range is lowered a lot when towing is involved. Many people around here have RVs, boats, snowmobiles, ATVs that they tow around.

Yeah, to be honest with the current state of tech a pickup is a not a good case for electric in a lot of ways. Of course, most people use them like a normal car other than a few times a year so the F150 WILL BE FINE.

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

Out of curiosity, what brand did you get?

I’m moving from a 2012 4wd F150 XLT extended cab into a 2019 4wd F150 XLT crew cab.

I’ve decided that I need the extra cab space and wasn’t going to budge on the XLT package. A must have for me.

The biggest change for me(and I had to drive one to believe it) is going to be the switch from the 5.0 Coyote to the 2.7L V6 twin turbo. I actually use a truck like it was intended and was skeptical that the little V6 could perform but it is actually comparable to the 5.0. Plenty of muscle to do what I need.

I’m not so sure about longevity though. That 5.0 Coyote is one bad ass motor. Absolutely bullet proof. 

14 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I’m moving from a 2012 4wd F150 XLT extended cab into a 2019 4wd F150 XLT crew cab.

I’ve decided that I need the extra cab space and wasn’t going to budge on the XLT package. A must have for me.

The biggest change for me(and I had to drive one to believe it) is going to be the switch from the 5.0 Coyote to the 2.7L V6 twin turbo. I actually use a truck like it was intended and was skeptical that the little V6 could perform but it is actually comparable to the 5.0. Plenty of muscle to do what I need.

I’m not so sure about longevity though. That 5.0 Coyote is one bad ass motor. Absolutely bullet proof. 

Nice.

My Dad was a lifelong Ford guy and I’ve had 4 F150s over the years. Mine were mostly inline 6 cylinders but one was a 5.0. Ford has had a version of the 5.0L or 302 around a long time.

Enjoy the newfound cab space. I have my first crew cab now (Toyota Tundra) and it is cavernous compared to the extended cabs or old single cabs like my first two trucks.

• Like (+1) 1

The new truck was delivered today. Far too nice for a dumb Ogre like me.

The heated seats are nice. The extra space is ridiculous. 

Very excited about the app that lets me start it, lock doors, check the tires/gas from anywhere.

A lifetime of head down/mouth shut/work hard/be smart coupled with broken bones/torn ligaments/fused body parts worked out for one in thousand who try.

I’m a lucky man. 

It broke my heart to watch the coyote go. I took it for a nice car wash with all the fixings’ before they came for the swap out.
It was a good damn truck.

• 2 weeks later...

A week ago tonight i went to the hospital to get a CT scan due to concussion concerns. Welp they found a little more and removed my brain baby on thursday and am finally home today. Feels good to be in my chair. Terrifying and reassurring at the same time. It kinda explains some behavior i didnt even realize i had been having, until now.

and hospitals suck and seem to be getting worse. The people are always great.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

A week ago tonight i went to the hospital to get a CT scan due to concussion concerns. Welp they found a little more and removed my brain baby on thursday and am finally home today. Feels good to be in my chair. Terrifying and reassurring at the same time. It kinda explains some behavior i didnt even realize i had been having, until now.

Be well.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Tumor? Here's to a speedy and full recovery.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Scary stuff.  So glad your post implies that you came through that well.  Hope that's true.  Will say a prayer for you.

I keep seeing these stories of other countries seizing the yachts of Russian oligarchs. How is that possible? I get they're Russian but how are they allowed to take an individual's property based on their nationality?

Edited by WildCard

54 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I keep seeing these stories of other countries seizing the yachts of Russian oligarchs. How is that possible? I get they're Russian but how are they allowed to take an individual's property based on their nationality?

It's to distract you from what's really going on.

And ... it's working.