The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

9 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I will look for some Koska around here and then compare it blindly If I can find. That is the gold standard of Turkish Delight. 

Did you know thst Bulgaria is the world's #1 producer of rose products, oil etc. I was unaware until I got here. 

Bulgaria also produces the cars in the wodden IKEA train sets!

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I will look for some Koska around here and then compare it blindly If I can find. That is the gold standard of Turkish Delight. 

Did you know thst Bulgaria is the world's #1 producer of rose products, oil etc. I was unaware until I got here. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... forget all that stuff ... did you try the coffee?  I hear it's stronger than the Turkish and Bosnian, which is basically Turkish, but with a little twist on the making.

9 minutes ago, MattPie said:

For a second there I thought you were saying that the Bulgarians make cars out of wood and sell them at IKEA.

Now that would be something.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

For a second there I thought you were saying that the Bulgarians make cars out of wood and sell them at IKEA.

I think Morgans are the only cars left using wooden frames. https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a31118918/are-morgan-cars-still-made-from-wood/

If you're into lighter-weight transportation, there are a few people making wood and bamboo frames for bicycles. https://booomers.com/ https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/a-wooden-bicycle-frame/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I think Morgans are the only cars left using wooden frames. https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a31118918/are-morgan-cars-still-made-from-wood/

If you're into lighter-weight transportation, there are a few people making wood and bamboo frames for bicycles. https://booomers.com/ https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/a-wooden-bicycle-frame/

lol!!

You need to post here more often.  You are a wealth of knowledge and are great at sharing all the poop.

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Apparently Zuckerberg didn't pay his IP bill... Facebook is down.

image.thumb.png.33bd4180762eaac525f0f57dd54534ac.png

I read that it's a BGP issue, Facebook's routes are no longer on the network. (BGP is a routing tool where network operators can advertise "I have these networks, you can send me traffic destined for them"; if your router stops advertising those networks, you no longer get the traffic)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

My distaste for the Sabres is becoming a distaste for sports in general (I'm a token Bills fan and that's about it now). I find myself coming here mostly for the OT stuff, since I like the people; including you!

14 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I read that it's a BGP issue, Facebook's routes are no longer on the network. (BGP is a routing tool where network operators can advertise "I have these networks, you can send me traffic destined for them"; if your router stops advertising those networks, you no longer get the traffic)

So... is it a technical glitch?  A purposeful action?  Sabotage by an adversary or hacker?

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So... is it a technical glitch?  A purposeful action?  Sabotage by an adversary or hacker?

Most likely: someone legitimately changed something and broke, either Facebook's network folks or their upstream provider. I was just talking a friend at work, and she mentioned that even if you're working on something that's not right at the edge between you and your ISP, the errors can propagate to the edge router and mess things up too, so may have been something deeper in the network.

It's entirely possible someone did it on purpose to make a statement too, although I'd *hope* that at this level there are good controls on who can make changes, right? RIGHT? Insider threat is always the hardest one to protect against.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

I did not, but I do know that Albania borders on the Adriatic and its chief export is chrome.

Albania is one of my favorite countries visited, love the cuisine, the people are some of the nicest I've met and they love Americans to boot. 

4 hours ago, MattPie said:

Now this is something I was unaware of. Those shrew Swedes outsourcing out of the Schengen area 😂😂

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... forget all that stuff ... did you try the coffee?  I hear it's stronger than the Turkish and Bosnian, which is basically Turkish, but with a little twist on the making.

The coffee here is mostly espresso like in Europe (still delicious) many of the places, especially in the southern parts near Greece and Turkey just call it Turkish coffee. They have this dish here called Mekitsi, it's basically fried dough made with yougurt in it, it's a traditional breakfast food and I cannot stop eating it! 

For a real twist, I buy Jordanian coffee, it's Turkish coffee ground with Cardamom, it's my new favorite. I even bought a whole set to make and serve it properly. 

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The coffee here is mostly espresso like in Europe (still delicious) many of the places, especially in the southern parts near Greece and Turkey just call it Turkish coffee. They have this dish here called Mekitsi, it's basically fried dough made with yougurt in it, it's a traditional breakfast food and I cannot stop eating it! 

For a real twist, I buy Jordanian coffee, it's Turkish coffee ground with Cardamom, it's my new favorite. I even bought a whole set to make and serve it properly. 

Not to discourage you, but the worst thing ever discovered on this planet is bloody hell Cardamom.  Ruins the taste of real coffee, IMO.  RUINS!!

45 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not to discourage you, but the worst thing ever discovered on this planet is bloody hell Cardamom.  Ruins the taste of real coffee, IMO.  RUINS!!

Cardamom is an amazing spice! I make a really nice Cardamom ice cream, it also goes well in Chicken Mahkani and Masala Chai Tea.

But to ease your mind I also have traditional non cardamom Turkish coffee, I order Kurukahveci Mehmet and make that too. I'm a bit of a true coffee addict. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

Most likely: someone legitimately changed something and broke, either Facebook's network folks or their upstream provider. I was just talking a friend at work, and she mentioned that even if you're working on something that's not right at the edge between you and your ISP, the errors can propagate to the edge router and mess things up too, so may have been something deeper in the network.

It's entirely possible someone did it on purpose to make a statement too, although I'd *hope* that at this level there are good controls on who can make changes, right? RIGHT? Insider threat is always the hardest one to protect against.

I read a report saying that whatever the glitch is, it brought down their internal comms too so they can't even virtually collaborate to fix the issue.  Dang.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where they do the post mortem on this when it's all done.

Meanwhile, on Twitter....

15 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Cardamom is an amazing spice! I make a really nice Cardamom ice cream, it also goes well in Chicken Mahkani and Masala Chai Tea.

But to ease your mind I also have traditional non cardamom Turkish coffee, I order Kurukahveci Mehmet and make that too. I'm a bit of a true coffee addict. 

I have a source in Istanbul that brings me this right to my door.  It pays huge dividends to travel the world.  I know that I don't need to tell you that.

Earlier this year, I picked up a battery-powered lawn mower, trimmer, snow blower, and leaf blower[0]. Since then, I can't fathom why "Leaf Blower" isn't a slang term for the "National" Canadian hockey media.

[0] They're awesome, BTW. Maybe if I need a riding mower I'll go gas, but never for anything smaller than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2