The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

I took care of my first Covid patient tonight. I've come a long way from March 2020 when I called off work and got my groceries from Instacart, then proceeded to wipe them down. The vaccines and Omicron are game changers. My old fella described his condition as a "cold." His biggest problem was straight diarrhea. Beyond the brown menace not an overly scary situation. Most maddening was trying to tie that freaking gown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

A friend of mine is one of the hostages.

He managed to post on FB
image.thumb.png.109616794abf933187ebc5d1dae2dd25.png

Prayers sent his way.

I see this morning that all hostages are safe and the hostage taker has been killed.  I would have preferred him to be alive to figure out what was the real motivation.  Seems to be not targeting the Jewish community, but who knows for sure now that the hostage taker is dead.

Demand from hostage taker was the release of a prisoner linked to terrorism.  Damn.

Targeting innocent people for any reason is just plain wrong.  Violence is not a solution for any problem.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I cannot speak for anyone else, but my prayers go out to your friend and his entire Congregation.  Those are some unbelievably brave individuals.  I'm relieved that they made it out of there.

My prayers have been sent and I will continue to send them.  The hostages were very brave and it seems that all owe their lives to this one particular cool headed and very smart / trained individual.  I too am thankful that all are safe.

From his family, the hostage taker was a Muslim.  It is indeed an act of terror when someone uses violence to try to advance a political agenda.  It seems that the hostage taker demanded the release of a prisioner linked to terrorism and terrorist organizations.  It seems that people are trying to appeal the conviction of that individual.  Taking hostages and violence is never a way to try to advance some agenda.  There does not seem to be an anti-Jewish specific point to the hostage taking.  That said, it seems that the hostage taker knew where to go and when to go there.

I do not want to derail the thread into another discussion on this issue and Islam.  All I will say (again) is that, as a Muslim, I condemn this act.  A vast majority of Muslims (including the hostage takers' family) will condemn this act.  The Qur'an specifically condemns this type of action.  It is not my place to say if the hostage taker was a good or bad Muslim, but he did not act in a way that is in keeping with the teachings of the faith.

Salam / Peace

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 4

A bit ago, with the snow tapering off but with still-cloudy skies, I heard the low whine of a plane. I went to my go-to site, flightradar24.com, and saw this:

Screenshot_20220117-100603_Chrome.thumb.jpg.00373cf923ea6e62369c38b55e9b6f93.jpg

Turns out it was a NASA plane that left Delaware at about 4 this morning. Interesting time to take a training flight. I'll delve into it more, just curious if anyone had thoughts or educated guesses as to the mission. NOAA I could see, like how they send planes into hurricanes.

Screenshot_20220117-100740_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2dfa6eaa18ea36feb5b828d164ed92c4.jpg

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The hostages were very brave and it seems that all owe their lives to this one particular cool headed and very smart / trained individual.

I think all three had been through the training.  At the very least, my friend and his rabbi had.

• Like (+1) 2

You know you are old when your nephew takes your snowboard to the shop to get tuned up for the season, and the staff gathers round, to admire it for its historic value, and then tells him it’s worth more as a wall hanging than a rideable piece of sports equipment.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...