The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

Mrs. iT and I have a bidet in our bathroom at the beach house. I have had the opportunity to try one before but never thought I was the bidet type. 

I was wrong. C’mon. Hot air to dry too?!

I can’t go back to that old barbarism.  Not now. 

We do live like second-class citizens here in the States when it comes to rear-end hygiene.

There's this guy in our parking garage who either has two cars (minivan and sedan) with the same exact set of 15+ bumper stickers/magnets or he routinely switches them back and forth between the two vehicles.  I like to think it's the latter and he has no life whatsoever.  I guess it's possible that they're not all the same, but there are three very distinct ones that I notice each time: a Heisenberg face, the old flying Eagles logo, and a confederate flag with initials over it.

The combination of those last two really makes no sense, does it?

On 8/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, dudacek said:

New mechanics make me feel utterly vulnerable.

A few years ago we found the proverbial “guy” who works out of his home next door to a friend of my wife’s. He makes us feel like our car is his car, not an income opportunity. He gives us choices with considered consequences, and his prices are always less.

Being able to trust is such an amazing change.

That's ...

+++++

You, if I rercall correctly, live on the tropical island of  Vancouver, right?

Are the fires near you?

+++++

And so not to derail the conversation ...

The bidet is the best thing ever invented.  Ever.

Edited by N S

17 minutes ago, N S said:

That's ...

+++++

You, if I rercall correctly, live on the tropical island of  Vancouver, right?

Are the fires near you?

The biggest one is only about 15 to 20 miles north of us, but it’s headed in the opposite direction and on the other side of a river. We aren’t feeling threatened at all by it. The area is pretty rural. I think there are about 75 homes on evacuation alert. The smoke is noticeable, but again, not threatening.

But a smaller one broke out yesterday about the same distance south of us, closer to a more densely populated area. I must admit to feeling a tad claustrophobic when that news broke.

Edited by dudacek

Costco has these frozen "Raybern's Hand Crafted Philly Cheesesteak" sandwiches.  When you open the package you learn that by "Hand" they mean "Industrial Machinery and possibly some Pink Slime" and by "Crafted" they mean "Industrially Manufactured".  But in the same way that McRibs are both reviled and beloved, so it is with these things.  They don't match the promise aesthetically but they actually taste better than one would expect.

(I'm guessing people from Philly would be quick to tell me that these are not true cheesesteaks.  F them.)

2 hours ago, shrader said:

There's this guy in our parking garage who either has two cars (minivan and sedan) with the same exact set of 15+ bumper stickers/magnets or he routinely switches them back and forth between the two vehicles.  I like to think it's the latter and he has no life whatsoever.  I guess it's possible that they're not all the same, but there are three very distinct ones that I notice each time: a Heisenberg face, the old flying Eagles logo, and a confederate flag with initials over it.

The combination of those last two really makes no sense, does it?

James Carville once said Pennsylvania is basically Alabama with Pittsburgh on one side and Philadelphia on the other. My guess is that the guy is from the Alabama part but is slightly closer to the Philly end so he chose the Eagles.

3 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

James Carville once said Pennsylvania is basically Alabama with Pittsburgh on one side and Philadelphia on the other. My guess is that the guy is from the Alabama part but is slightly closer to the Philly end so he chose the Eagles.

He has a good taste for tv though.

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Costco has these frozen "Raybern's Hand Crafted Philly Cheesesteak" sandwiches.  When you open the package you learn that by "Hand" they mean "Industrial Machinery and possibly some Pink Slime" and by "Crafted" they mean "Industrially Manufactured".  But in the same way that McRibs are both reviled and beloved, so it is with these things.  They don't match the promise aesthetically but they actually taste better than one would expect.

(I'm guessing people from Philly would be quick to tell me that these are not true cheesesteaks.  F them.)

I'm not from Philly and I'd say that too. But, cheesesteak isn't that complex of a dish that you can't get it pretty close out of a freezer.

1 minute ago, Alkoholist said:

Or he may just enjoy doing crystal meth.

For whatever crazy reason, the wife doesn't believe that died at the end.  I pray that she never sees this guy's car because not only will that fuel her insanity, but she'll also start thinking it was a documentary.

Everywhere I've worked since college has had a population of Canadian geese around the parking lot. Today as I was walking in one was loitering around the sidewalk and and it occurred to me to say to it, "Hey hoser, the Leafs suck, eh?" in my best Canadian accent. This may become a morning tradition for me.

Edited by MattPie
a
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Everywhere I've worked since college has had a population of Canadian geese around the parking lot. Today as I was walking in one was loitering around the sidewalk and and it occurred to me to say to it, "Hey hoser, the Leafs suck, eh?" in my best Canadian accent. This may become a morning tradition for me.

I always yell at them "go back to Canada!".  It's probably a good thing that they're not Mexican geese or else people would give me even worse stares than they already do.

Edited by shrader

55 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Everywhere I've worked since college has had a population of Canadian Canada geese around the parking lot. Today as I was walking in one was loitering around the sidewalk and and it occurred to me to say to it, "Hey hoser, the Leafs suck, eh?" in my best Canadian accent. This may become a morning tradition for me.

FTFY.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

Everywhere I've worked since college has had a population of Canadian geese Cobra Chickens around the parking lot. Today as I was walking in one was loitering around the sidewalk and and it occurred to me to say to it, "Hey hoser, the Leafs suck, eh?" in my best Canadian accent. This may become a morning tradition for me.

FTFY

hissing feathered devil hens 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I have been listening to hardcore history lately, covering ww1. Makes me wonder if anyone has some suggestions on some good documentaries on ww1?

Read The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. It covers the outbreak of the war (and the reasons for it).  It won a Pulitzer and she's (well, was) one of America's best history writers.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I have been listening to hardcore history lately, covering ww1. Makes me wonder if anyone has some suggestions on some good documentaries on ww1?

His WWI series is incredible. I mean, I like most of his stuff, but Blueprint for Armageddon is some good sh!t. 

Not as many as I'd like.

The one I always see mentioned is a youtube channel- 

They are purported to have info on every conceivable angle of the war, as well as weekly coverage, from the time leading up to it all the way through to the end. 

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Foreigners+hotel breakfast= me wanting to choke someone 

See, you say this and all I picture is the swarthy Italian guy from Eurotrip. 

That or a bunch of no tipping, no personal space respecting mofo's.

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

Read The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. It covers the outbreak of the war (and the reasons for it).  It won a Pulitzer and she's (well, was) one of America's best history writers.

Thanks for the suggestion. I feel like I have heard of the book. Perhaps I just recall the phrase used for the title

7 hours ago, josie said:

His WWI series is incredible. I mean, I like most of his stuff, but Blueprint for Armageddon is some good sh!t. 

Not as many as I'd like.

The one I always see mentioned is a youtube channel- 

They are purported to have info on every conceivable angle of the war, as well as weekly coverage, from the time leading up to it all the way through to the end. 

Blueprint for armageddon is the first of his stuff I have listened to. Only got 2 hours left on the last part. He reminds me of history teachers I had, very engaging voice making it easy to listen.

I will check out that YouTube channel over the weekend. Thank you for suggesting it

9 hours ago, BagBoy said:

I thought this one was pretty good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3638584/

Thank you for the suggestion. Added to my to watch list

3 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I feel like I have heard of the book. Perhaps I just recall the phrase used for the title

Blueprint for armageddon is the first of his stuff I have listened to. Only got 2 hours left on the last part. He reminds me of history teachers I had, very engaging voice making it easy to listen.

I will check out that YouTube channel over the weekend. Thank you for suggesting it

Thank you for the suggestion. Added to my to watch list

I did a bit more digging and here's a ten part series- I believe BBC did it? You can probably find a better version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzf9aHZmCAM

As for Carlin- my favorites of his are Wrath of the Khans (Genghis Khan), Punic Nightmares (Romans, Hannibal and the alps... good sh!t), and Ghosts of the Ostfront (world war two, specifically Stalingrad). I don't think any of those are up for free anymore but they're worth ~5 bucks or whatever for hours of pretty good research. He gets a little rambly here and there in theoretical comparisons but still good stuff.