The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

NS Power does one thing very well and it's the only thing ... they have given us years of pleasure with their sponsorship of the Osprey Cam.

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/ospreycam

EDIT TO ADD:

2 babies this year that are still fluffy, but very close to flegging.

Edited by N S

1 hour ago, N S said:

NS Power does one thing very well and it's the only thing ... they have given us years of pleasure with their sponsorship of the Osprey Cam.

https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/ospreycam

EDIT TO ADD:

2 babies this year that are still fluffy, but very close to flegging.

This reminds me of something going on in my neighborhood.  Apparently two river otters have taken up residence in our retention pond.  So far I've only seen one distant cell phone video, so hopefully I can find a way to get a closer look to see if that is in fact what they are.

Hate taking the car in. I like having working brakes, and it needed a good go over but... I never know if it's just sticker shock or I'm being hosed. I just don't know enough about modern cars and I feel stupid- I don't know enough to argue. Am I being screwed over? Also man, I had no less than 6 men call me hun, honey, or sweetie this morning. It's fine I guess- I know they're just being nice and I only ever thank profusely and smile in return but, if you're going to take over $1000 from me and call me that, buy me breakfast? I miss Van Bortel in Rochester sometimes. Northtown's just got a different feel. My usual guy who treats me differently/talks cars with me wasn't there this morning. Definitely noticed his absence. 

Edited by josie

21 minutes ago, josie said:

Hate taking the car in. I like having working brakes, and it needed a good go over but... I never know if it's just sticker shock or I'm being hosed. I just don't know enough about modern cars and I feel stupid- I don't know enough to argue. Am I being screwed over? Also man, I had no less than 6 men call me hun, honey, or sweetie this morning. It's fine I guess- I know they're just being nice and I only ever thank profusely and smile in return but, if you're going to take over $1000 from me and call me that, buy me breakfast? I miss Van Bortel in Rochester sometimes. Northtown's just got a different feel. My usual guy who treats me differently/talks cars with me wasn't there this morning. Definitely noticed his absence. 

What work was done on the brakes and on what kind of car?  $1000 is pretty steep.

Also, I was in Virginia last week and was called honey or sweetie by quite a few of the servers and I wasn't spending $1k on dinner.  ?

36 minutes ago, josie said:

See, this is why I have a mechanic for a brother and my wife is Mona Lisa Vito. She's got skills! Me? I can change the wipers, swap out a battery and fill it with gas.

35 minutes ago, josie said:

I had to get mine inspected yesterday at a place I never go to (a Firestone shop).  It was amazing watching them try to scam me out of as many dollars as possible.  I always eavesdrop as much as possible when waiting at those places and they were doing the same exact routine with every single customer.  It's a different part each time, but every single person got the suggestion to have some random obscure part replaced.  It was night and day compared to the local mechanic shop I deal with.

The best part was when they suggested I need new tires even though my current ones are practically new already.

17 minutes ago, LTS said:

What work was done on the brakes and on what kind of car?  $1000 is pretty steep.

Also, I was in Virginia last week and was called honey or sweetie by quite a few of the servers and I wasn't spending $1k on dinner.  ?

Front brakes (pads and rotors) and a 45k service, came out to about 900, had to drop another 100 on registration renewal (30 of that is because I'm dumb and need it asap) and not the dealership. 2014 bare bones subaru impreza.  It all works out when you break it down but it's still sticker shock. 

Well, the dif between a bunch of guys calling me that at 7:30 am at a car dealership and diner servers is the servers most likely call everyone that, and these dudes weren't calling anyone else honey or sweetie.. and it felt a bit more demeaning than endearing. Like a verbal pat on the head in a place I'm already not that comfortable with. I don't feel like making a big effing deal out of this (because of course that's what would happen on this board, god forbid) but it was just one more little "ugh" for the morning. 

Just now, shrader said:

I had to get mine inspected yesterday at a place I never go to (a Firestone shop).  It was amazing watching them try to scam me out of as many dollars as possible.  I always eavesdrop as much as possible when waiting at those places and they were doing the same exact routine with every single customer.  It's a different part each time, but every single person got the suggestion to have some random obscure part replaced.  It was night and day compared to the local mechanic shop I deal with.

The best part was when they suggested I need new tires even though my current ones are practically new already.

Ugh i'm sorry. So many places are shady, it's why I never can be sure. I'm super wary of tires with my car- Subaru AWD means "oh now we must replace all 4... Fork over 1k please" 

3 minutes ago, ubkev said:

See, this is why I have a mechanic for a brother and my wife is Mona Lisa Vito. She's got skills! Me? I can change the wipers, swap out a battery and fill it with gas.

My coworker lives and breathes cars (mainly Lotus, but he and his dad work on everything, even have a Caterham- pretty cool story I should tell sometime) and helped my other coworker replace the brakes on his Subaru. I should just bug him next time. 

2 minutes ago, ubkev said:

This is basically the one reason I want to buy a house: so I can have a garage to do the wrenching on things. If I had somewhere to do the work I could have done her brakes for $100 in parts tops. 

They charge way too much for parts and labor at Northtown for work on what is essentially an economy car. I don't think she'd be paying what she pays if this work was getting done at Van Bortel. I think Northtown is ripping people off. 

2 minutes ago, josie said:

Ugh i'm sorry. So many places are shady, it's why I never can be sure. I'm super wary of tires with my car- Subaru AWD means "oh now we must replace all 4... Fork over 1k please" 

I keep a log of every single thing done to that car in a notebook in the glovebox, along with all the paperwork.  It's nice to shove that in their face when they try to scam you.  A few years back I had a dealership put the wrong size tires on my car.  At that point I knew nothing about tires so I missed it.  Months later when I complained to them, they tried to say that they just matched what was previously on the car.  "Oh, really?  Here's my previous receipt..."

That was when I started keeping the log.  The paperwork's always there, but it's much easier to find it thanks to that notebook.

33 minutes ago, shrader said:

I keep a log of every single thing done to that car in a notebook in the glovebox, along with all the paperwork.  It's nice to shove that in their face when they try to scam you.  A few years back I had a dealership put the wrong size tires on my car.  At that point I knew nothing about tires so I missed it.  Months later when I complained to them, they tried to say that they just matched what was previously on the car.  "Oh, really?  Here's my previous receipt..."

That was when I started keeping the log.  The paperwork's always there, but it's much easier to find it thanks to that notebook.

I should do this too. I don't want to be the stupid girl saying "please wait, I need to call my boyfriend so he can tell me what to do" but when they slid the paper in front of my nose I looked at what the services included and thought "jesus that seems steep for THAT" (mind you not brakes, I know they're a b!tch and I understand them being pricey). And the dude was so smiley I just felt kinda greasy. Maybe it's all unfounded. I don't know. I just don't know what I don't know- your solution is smart. I'm a very easy target and I hate feeling that way. 

33 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This is basically the one reason I want to buy a house: so I can have a garage to do the wrenching on things. If I had somewhere to do the work I could have done her brakes for $100 in parts tops. 

They charge way too much for parts and labor at Northtown for work on what is essentially an economy car. I don't think she'd be paying what she pays if this work was getting done at Van Bortel. I think Northtown is ripping people off. 

I seriously might just ask my coworker for help next time. He did Mark's brakes for parts (2010 Outback) and beer/dinner- total like 200. Took a few hours because they had to figure out a trick to get the rotor off, but after they got one the other took a few minutes. He has all the gear, pneumatic tools, etc.... and no mark-ups. Before doing that he quit going to Northtown around the 60k mark and was going next door to my work to a little shop for estimates. Northtown tried to charge him 100 for headlight bulb and the garage next door did it for 40. THey don't list their labor rate- you get the part markup and the labor rate must be bonkers.. $425 for labor and my car was done within an hour. I don't mind paying a bit more if it means the mechanics and all get a good wage but if you hide it... I may make Carter call them and break it down- he has the voice that gets results! I'm not going to fight it, it's over, but I want to know moving forward. 

Edited by josie

3 minutes ago, josie said:

I should do this too. I don't want to be the stupid girl saying "please wait, I need to call my boyfriend so he can tell me what to do" but when they slid the paper in front of my nose I looked at what the services included and thought "jesus that seems steep for THAT" (mind you not brakes, I know they're a b!tch and I understand them being pricey). And the dude was so smiley I just felt kinda greasy. Maybe it's all unfounded. I don't know. I just don't know what I don't know- your solution is smart. I'm a very easy target and I hate feeling that way. 

I'd ask around to your neighbors to see what the good local repair shop is.  If you and Carter are planning on either staying in the neighborhood a while or relocating to a closeby one when you buy a house it'll be very good info to have and will likely save a small fortune over the years.  Especially as you become 2 more of their regulars.

And Kitty's shop probably wouldn't have saved you much, if anything, over Northtown.  ALL dealer repair departments are overpriced.  Though there is no way in heck you'd've been talked down to; & there is a value to that.

13 minutes ago, josie said:

I seriously might just ask my coworker for help next time. He did Mark's brakes for parts (2010 Outback) and beer/dinner- total like 200. Took a few hours because they had to figure out a trick to get the rotor off, but after they got one the other took a few minutes. He has all the gear, pneumatic tools, etc.... and no mark-ups. Before doing that he quit going to Northtown around the 60k mark and was going next door to my work to a little shop for estimates. Northtown tried to charge him 100 for headlight bulb and the garage next door did it for 40. THey don't list their labor rate- you get the part markup and the labor rate must be bonkers.. $425 for labor and my car was done within an hour. I don't mind paying a bit more if it means the mechanics and all get a good wage but if you hide it... I may make Carter call them and break it down- he has the voice that gets results! I'm not going to fight it, it's over, but I want to know moving forward. 

For the record, I like that shop next to your office. They did good work on my Buick there. 

New mechanics make me feel utterly vulnerable.

A few years ago we found the proverbial “guy” who works out of his home next door to a friend of my wife’s. He makes us feel like our car is his car, not an income opportunity. He gives us choices with considered consequences, and his prices are always less.

Being able to trust is such an amazing change.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

For the record, I like that shop next to your office. They did good work on my Buick there. 

Good. Mark says they're really nice and fair, no bullsh!t. And it's certainly convenient!

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

New mechanics make me feel utterly vulnerable.

A few years ago we found the proverbial “guy” who works out of his home next door to a friend of my wife’s. He makes us feel like our car is his car, not an income opportunity. He gives us choices with considered consequences, and his prices are always less.

Being able to trust is such an amazing change.

It really is. I'm glad you found someone! I miss just having a warranty and not having to really worry about the money. 

Garbage day is today.  This morning when I left for work there was someone else’s garbage bags and recycleables added to our trash cans.  Easily triple what we had put out there.  Enough that I am not sure the trash collectors will take it all as we are limited in the amount of trash that they will pick up.

One of our other neighbors appeared to have the same thing happen.

No new neighbors that just moved in that I am aware of.  WTH?

2 hours ago, josie said:

Front brakes (pads and rotors) and a 45k service, came out to about 900, had to drop another 100 on registration renewal (30 of that is because I'm dumb and need it asap) and not the dealership. 2014 bare bones subaru impreza.  It all works out when you break it down but it's still sticker shock. 

Well, the dif between a bunch of guys calling me that at 7:30 am at a car dealership and diner servers is the servers most likely call everyone that, and these dudes weren't calling anyone else honey or sweetie.. and it felt a bit more demeaning than endearing. Like a verbal pat on the head in a place I'm already not that comfortable with. I don't feel like making a big effing deal out of this (because of course that's what would happen on this board, god forbid) but it was just one more little "ugh" for the morning. 

My coworker lives and breathes cars (mainly Lotus, but he and his dad work on everything, even have a Caterham- pretty cool story I should tell sometime) and helped my other coworker replace the brakes on his Subaru. I should just bug him next time. 

That's insane.  I would never go back there.  The front brakes on my Kia Optima cost me about $400 at Midas.  The mileage services are total scams.  Never get them.  If it was a brake service then they would have done all that work anyway replacing the pads and rotors.  I've done my own brakes in my driveway using a jack in less than an hour.  I just don't want to always do it and for the minimal difference Midas charges me... I pretty much let them do it now.

$900 is absolute usury.  

And yes..I was joking with the whole server thing.  Although I did get a heavy pour on the whiskey I ordered at one place... hmmmmm.. ?

Also, just replaced all 4 tires on my car for $530.  Pirelli P-Zero All-season Plus.  $120 to mount and balance them... (I order from TireRack and I swear by Pirelli now)

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Uh yup... but like I said.  You get a good place and it's better to just let them do the work.  And yea.. they definitely are ripping people off.

Mrs. iT and I have a bidet in our bathroom at the beach house. I have had the opportunity to try one before but never thought I was the bidet type. 

I was wrong. C’mon. Hot air to dry too?!

I can’t go back to that old barbarism.  Not now. 

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Mrs. iT and I have a bidet in our bathroom at the beach house. I have had the opportunity to try one before but never thought I was the bidet type. 

I was wrong. C’mon. Hot air to dry too?!

I can’t go back to that old barbarism.  Not now. 

That's why no one gets pink eye at hotel pools in France. It's a fact.