The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was floating around in olean and Bradford this week, how would we have met? 

We didn't. You were sprinting up the steps at OGH. I and another man jostled — well, fist-fought — for the honor of holding the door for you. It was 50-50 that it was you, then I saw the hair tied-back. There was also this undefinable earthy smell, like the forest after a rain. Woody, you might say.

This morning when I walked downstairs, I was greeted at the front door by a giant grasshopper.  As I tried to get it to go out through the door, of course it jumped and immediately flew upstairs.  It's not every day that you get to chase a grasshopper around the second floor of your house.  I eventually caught it and put it outside.  And of course it was still waiting for me on the front porch when I walked out to the car.  I was fully expecting that persistent little guy to jump back into the house.

A friend of mine from RIT went viral yesterday and was mentioned (he declined to give his name) in a NY Times article...

Long story short, he met up with a girl from Tinder and found himself with about 200 other dudes she'd promised to meet up with, where she then held an impromptu live dating competition. He left immediately, because why the hell would you stay? He has also coined (well, maybe it existed before but i love it) the term "Fallopian Fortitude". What a b!tch. 

Read about his adventure at: Good lord man, how?

I swear, if I ever find myself single again, I'm just giving up on dating entirely. 

Just now, shrader said:

I'm not sure what is crazier, that whole scenario or telling the story across 85 posts on twitter.

Wellp, that's completely normal with character limits, I'm afraid. I swear, half my feed is threads anymore. I do it with my art sometimes. Pops it back up/gets it relevant again over a single repost. 

Just now, josie said:

Wellp, that's completely normal with character limits, I'm afraid. I swear, half my feed is threads anymore. I do it with my art sometimes. Pops it back up/gets it relevant again over a single repost. 

I'd actually be impressed if he posted the whole story backwards just so that it would read in the correct order.  I rarely ever venture over to that blackhole of the internet, so I have no idea if they've changed things so that multiple posts like that would show up in the proper order.

30 minutes ago, josie said:

A friend of mine from RIT went viral yesterday and was mentioned (he declined to give his name) in a NY Times article...

Long story short, he met up with a girl from Tinder and found himself with about 200 other dudes she'd promised to meet up with, where she then held an impromptu live dating competition. He left immediately, because why the hell would you stay? He has also coined (well, maybe it existed before but i love it) the term "Fallopian Fortitude". What a b!tch. 

Read about his adventure at: Good lord man, how?

I swear, if I ever find myself single again, I'm just giving up on dating entirely. 

A guy I know broke up with his girlfriend this past weekend... he then spent the remainder of Sunday night swiping right for over 800 women in his area on some dating app... Tinder.. who knows.. I don't pay attention to how it all works.

I'm pretty sure if were single again I would remain single forever... I don't have time and most assuredly any patience or desire to deal with that kind of garbage.

If I were that girl I would have only been interested in those that left.  Those that stayed were far too desperate and sure as hell don't value their time enough.

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd actually be impressed if he posted the whole story backwards just so that it would read in the correct order.  I rarely ever venture over to that blackhole of the internet, so I have no idea if they've changed things so that multiple posts like that would show up in the proper order.

Well, if you look at his personal timeline it is backwards- especially since each post has so much attention, the algorithm views it as important and keeps it stand-alone. But if you come across one of the posts regularly and click it, they unfold in correct order above and below. There's also bots that can "unroll" it and put it in a paragraph format. If you posted backwards, it would be backwards. 

It may be a hellhole that makes my blood feel carbonated and sickly while destroying what tiny shred of respect I had left for mankind, but I have gotten most of my work/jobs/luck through that site. 

But if twitter is just too much for you guys, here (my friend is quoted at the end): https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/20/style/tinder-dating-scam-union-square.html

11 minutes ago, LTS said:

A guy I know broke up with his girlfriend this past weekend... he then spent the remainder of Sunday night swiping right for over 800 women in his area on some dating app... Tinder.. who knows.. I don't pay attention to how it all works.

I'm pretty sure if were single again I would remain single forever... I don't have time and most assuredly any patience or desire to deal with that kind of garbage.

If I were that girl I would have only been interested in those that left.  Those that stayed were far too desperate and sure as hell don't value their time enough.

I never used Tinder. It had just started existing around the time I started dating Carter, but it was still 90% a hookup app (like Grindr is for gay men) and I'm just not a one-night stand sort of chick. Now I know a pretty good number of folks who are married due to a Tinder match. Something about knowing there's dudes out there actively swiping me off as too ugly/boring/unworthy just decimates the tiny amount of self love I do have (I mean, I know it has always happened in real life but something about it being part of an app makes it worse). Whole thing squicks me out, but I guess I get it- gamifying the hard part. 

You know it's serious when a Tinder couple agrees to delete the app off their phones haha 

If I were single I still don't think I'd try it. I doubt it'd work for someone like me- I wouldn't know how to present myself. I'd just hope getting involved in lots of stuff I find interesting brings about some interesting acquaintances. 

"If I were that girl I would have only been interested in those that left.  Those that stayed were far too desperate and sure as hell don't value their time enough."

-This is my thought too- cracks me up knowing my friend. He's legit 1%er from Jamaica, has a super cool job, funny dude, and his dating history includes long term relationships with heiresses n sh!t  

Edited by josie

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

We didn't. You were sprinting up the steps at OGH. I and another man jostled — well, fist-fought — for the honor of holding the door for you. It was 50-50 that it was you, then I saw the hair tied-back. There was also this undefinable earthy smell, like the forest after a rain. Woody, you might say.

I am honored that you fist fought, like in gladiator times. I was in Olean in the early afternoon and definitely rocked a man bun/pony and had on some dressier clothes. I recall 2 gentlemen as I was coming through the lower stairs..... I have met the mysterious PA?! 

O and that smell, it was because I was rolling around in the mud, before work

47 minutes ago, LTS said:

I could see there being some who are as twisted as the girl and would enjoy the whole gameshow aspect of it.  But then again, I work with someone who was on the bachelor, so I've been exposed to people who are a bit "different".  I really hope that whoever won that little contest immediately told her off.  That would be perfect.

Yesterday we took nfreeman's advice and went for, not one, but two, very nice walks along the beautiful NS Atlantic coast.

The first was at one of the nicest beaches on the planet and one of our favourite spots in NS.  We hiked a nice trail that overlooks the coast and beach to our secret wild blueberry patch.  No one knows about it except us and the bears.  We are very late in the wild blueberry season, but it was still a good outing.

The second was to a Provincial Park about an hour away from us that we really like.  Harvested wild blackberries and apples.  Very delightful, indeed.

In between we checked out a house in a remote area right on the rugges Atlantic Ocean.  We like it, but there are some issues.  We shall see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

I spend the entire weekend pounding rocks.

Saturday I spent the entire day jackhammering up concrete pads, sidewalks and staircases. Sunday I loaded up all the rubble by hand and drove it over load by load to the property of a woman who wanted it to protect an eroding bank.

Next Monday, the contractor starts rebuilding the entrance to our home.

And within a month from now I am hoping to finally celebrate the completion of our 16-month renovation project.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

A fire station I drive by every day put out a digital sign board with the message "Don't be a victim".  One slight problem though, the word "don't" slowly blinks.  So as I first spotted the sign, it said "be a victim".

It doesn't blink. You need to call 911.     be a victim.

Another dose of reality smacked my wife and I right in the kisser yesterday.

My best friend (I have mentioned him a few times here) is originally from Africa and he travels there from time to time to visit family and for medical treatments that are not available here.

He is pretty much wheel chair bound since a tragic accident in 2006.

He was in Africa for the last year and a half.

A week, or so, ago he messaged me that he was not feeling well and wanted us to make the arrangements for him to come home.  He has numerous health challenges and he did not lead me to think it was that serious, but he wanted to be home in his own bed.  We were working on making those arrangements for him.

Yesterday I got a call from Halifax Police (I am his contact person in case of emergency, or other, situations) and they informed me that my friend (my best friend actually, as we have become very close) passed away mid-flight from Dakar, Senegal bound for New York.

I am still in shock.

If you are so inclined, I humbly ask that you keep my friend in your thoughts and prayers.  Thanks.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, N S said:

Another dose of reality smacked my wife and I right in the kisser yesterday.

My best friend (I have mentioned him a few times here) is originally from Africa and he travels there from time to time to visit family and for medical treatments that are not available here.

He is pretty much wheel chair bound since a tragic accident in 2006.

He was in Africa for the last year and a half.

A week, or so, ago he messaged me that he was not feeling well and wanted us to make the arrangements for him to come home.  He has numerous health challenges and he did not lead me to think it was that serious, but he wanted to be home in his own bed.  We were working on making those arrangements for him.

Yesterday I got a call from Halifax Police (I am his contact person in case of emergency, or other, situations) and they informed me that my friend (my best friend actually, as we have become very close) passed away mid-flight from Dakar, Senegal bound for New York.

I am still in shock.

If you are so inclined, I humbly ask that you keep my friend in your thoughts and prayers.  Thanks.

That's awful.  I hope he was at peace knowing he was on his way back home.

You and your friend will be in my prayers.