The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

2 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Just pour the detergent into the cap of the bottle, dump the cap into the washer, and put the cap back on the jug. There's no need to rinse it out, the remnants will drip back into the jug. Problem solved.

Right? What the heck is going on here? Who is rinsing detergent bottle caps?

Guys. Just buy the Tide Cold Water jugs and then use like...half what it recommends. Simplify your laundry.

And stop over-drying your clothes too. All that extra time in the dryer on blazing hot is just wasting energy and destroying the fabric. 

43 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I tried to read it. I really tried. I almost got through it.

Interestingly (?), I follow a Twitter account that just spits out random passages from the book. And I frickin' LOVE it. It's amazing.

And Melville was definitely a Sabre fan.

“There are certain times and occasions in this strange game we call hockey when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”

“...and Heaven have mercy on us all - Team Storm Cloud and Team Sunshine and Kittens alike - for we are all somehow dreadfully cracked about the head, and sadly need mending.”

“Let faith oust fact; let fancy oust memory; I look deep down and do believe.”

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

He is the only SabreSpacer I've had offline contact with (phone only). He called me on Mother's Day 1998 to tell me he had just seen John Gurtler at church in Lackawanna (maybe Cheektowaga, I get those two confused). Matt Barnaby proceeded to score a hat trick at home as the Sabres took a stranglehold on their second round series with the Habs. I've always felt the two events were somehow connected.

COL ... cry out loud

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I tried to read it. I really tried. I almost got through it.

Interestingly (?), I follow a Twitter account that just spits out random passages from the book. And I frickin' LOVE it. It's amazing.

What I like about the book is that it reads like a journal.  The beginning is somewhat formal and wordy, using proper sentences and stuff.  When Ishy gets busy, you see chapters that consist of a sentence fragment.  It changes pace according to Ishy's mood and how much free time he has.  It's like an extended conversation with a friend.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What I like about the book is that it reads like a journal.  The beginning is somewhat formal and wordy, using proper sentences and stuff.  When Ishy gets busy, you see chapters that consist of a sentence fragment.  It changes pace according to Ishy's mood and how much free time he has.  It's like an extended conversation with a friend.

Yeah, with a hundred pages of cetology in the middle.

8 hours ago, Alkoholist said:

Just pour the detergent into the cap of the bottle, dump the cap into the washer, and put the cap back on the jug. There's no need to rinse it out, the remnants will drip back into the jug. Problem solved.

Not with the giant BJs jug. It’s set up with a spigot on the side. 

I have a couponing problem with that place. They do 25 cents off a gallon of gas with two required purchases. Usually paper towels and TP are on there and there’s always coupons for those. Filling up 30 gallons at $.25 savings adds up. My stores of paper towels and TP are robust which is also good.

I used to think my grandma was crazy when I looked in her closet, but there’s a calming assurance that all is well when you’re stocked with paper goods for a year.

Edited by Ogre

Words to live by.  Courtesy of NS.

Number 1 ...

When you have a case of Athlete's Foot ... ALWAYS, YES ALWAYS ... remember to scratch your #### first and then your feet.

Yup.  So far, there is no number 2.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by your friend in NS. 

15 minutes ago, N S said:

Number 1 ...

When you have a case of Athlete's Foot ... ALWAYS, YES ALWAYS ... remember to scratch your #### first and then your feet.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by your friend in NS. 

You, sir, are indeed a gentleman and a scholar. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/2/2018 at 4:29 PM, N S said:

Number 1 ...

No #2 is probably a good thing. Might not mix well with all that itching 

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's the second one in the civilized world.  Your mileage may differ in Central Penna.

I ask because I heard number 1 in Ken Burns' documentary on Vietnam, from the narrator. And I was wondering if I'd been saying it wrong all this time(unlikely, I know).

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

I ask because I heard number 1 in Ken Burns' documentary on Vietnam, from the narrator. And I was wondering if I'd been saying it wrong all this time(unlikely, I know).

That's someone with a speech affectation, likely deliberate.  (Think of Winchester from the later seasons of M*A*S*H.)

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

That's someone with a speech affectation, likely deliberate.  (Think of Winchester from the later seasons of M*A*S*H.)

Speaking of which, I think we're finally over the Michelle Obama-era "sh" affectation. "Girls are so shtrong!" Maybe it'll be back in fashion in two years.

Nope.  Skedule.

I googled associated pronunciation and in the three top choices I got both in equal measure- one with S sound, one with SH sound and one that had both.

Bottom line:  Both are acceptable.  I suspect it's a combination of regionalism and native language accent (my family is Polish and even though it's been here 4 generations the mother tongue still affects pronunciation.)