The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

9 hours ago, N S said:

Another dose of reality smacked my wife and I right in the kisser yesterday.

My best friend (I have mentioned him a few times here) is originally from Africa and he travels there from time to time to visit family and for medical treatments that are not available here.

He is pretty much wheel chair bound since a tragic accident in 2006.

He was in Africa for the last year and a half.

A week, or so, ago he messaged me that he was not feeling well and wanted us to make the arrangements for him to come home.  He has numerous health challenges and he did not lead me to think it was that serious, but he wanted to be home in his own bed.  We were working on making those arrangements for him.

Yesterday I got a call from Halifax Police (I am his contact person in case of emergency, or other, situations) and they informed me that my friend (my best friend actually, as we have become very close) passed away mid-flight from Dakar, Senegal bound for New York.

I am still in shock.

If you are so inclined, I humbly ask that you keep my friend in your thoughts and prayers.  Thanks.

I am so sorry to hear this NS. ?

10 hours ago, N S said:

Another dose of reality smacked my wife and I right in the kisser yesterday.

My best friend (I have mentioned him a few times here) is originally from Africa and he travels there from time to time to visit family and for medical treatments that are not available here.

He is pretty much wheel chair bound since a tragic accident in 2006.

He was in Africa for the last year and a half.

A week, or so, ago he messaged me that he was not feeling well and wanted us to make the arrangements for him to come home.  He has numerous health challenges and he did not lead me to think it was that serious, but he wanted to be home in his own bed.  We were working on making those arrangements for him.

Yesterday I got a call from Halifax Police (I am his contact person in case of emergency, or other, situations) and they informed me that my friend (my best friend actually, as we have become very close) passed away mid-flight from Dakar, Senegal bound for New York.

I am still in shock.

If you are so inclined, I humbly ask that you keep my friend in your thoughts and prayers.  Thanks.

Gave you’re buddy a random Ehhhhhoooo out into the yard tonight. Rip 

I'd like to think that he left this world knowing that he was on his way home and that a great friend had helped him along the way and that this provided some level of comfort on his final journey.

Remember him well, and he shall live forever.

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and words.

It has been very difficult and we have been dealing with a lot of 'stuff'.  His family in Montreal, Senegal and the US did not know until yesterday morning and we have spent much time in helping them, especially his children.

I have not had time to mourn my friend properly, but I am now ready to do that.  He was the kindest and most gentle person I have ever known.  He never complained in spite of terrible health challenges.  He made me a better person just by his example.

Thanks again for the kindness.  It means a lot.

Edited by N S
auto-correct malfunction

This Sunday marks the 20th anniversary of what is probably the second most tragic event in the history of Halifax.

The crash of Swissair flight 111.  Some of you may remember it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

It happened just a few weeks before we moved here and just a few days after we flew back to The Great Satan after buying our home here.

My friend had a son and daughter.  They live in Montreal with their mother ... I won't get into all that.

My wife and I are very concerned for his kids.  We have been in regualar contact with them, especially the daughter, to lend support and advice where we can.

The daughter wanted to have her father buried in Montreal, which makes the most sense.  There is a Muslim tradition to bury someone where ever they pass from this life and the Muslim Community in NYC would have taken care of everything.  That said, in these modern times more often you hear of bodies being transported someplace for burial.

Anyway, several of the distant family in Africa wanted my friend buried there.  He never expessed his desire for that, at least not to me.  He just wanted his kids to be happy and comforted by deciding where he would eventually be buried.

Since no will has been found and no one has produced one yet it has come down to the 20 year old son to make a final decision.

Much to my disapointment and much more for his sister, her brother has bowed to the distant family pressure and my friend will be returned to Africa for burial.

What a nightmare.

• Sad 1