Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

The fact that his agent already addressed it makes me believe it. That and it completely matches what we've already heard and witnessed

Actually, what we've already witnessed is Jack blasting other players, not the coach.

Things we should keep in mind:

Things Eichel has actually said/done:

"I'm just a player, players play and coaches coach"
Nothing that throws Bylsma under the bus in public

Nothing about leaving/not signing with Buffalo

"The team needs to be better and it starts with me, I need to be better"

"We have a great bunch of guys, I really love being with them every day, but there's a difference between wanting to win and dedicating your life to it"

"Buffalo, I'm comin for ya"

Spent lots of time without cameras at the hospital with kids

Likely spoke out against Bylsma on behalf of his teammates
Possibly quietly mentioned that he doesn't want to continue to play in conditions that suppress team and individual success, but continually stayed away from doing so in public

Narratives that have been created by posters here and elsewhere/media:

Eichel is selfish and thinks this is all about him

Eichel is a drunk

Eichel is immature in the locker room

Eichel hates Dan Bylsma 

Eichel will not sign if Bylsma isn't fired

Eichel makes fun of veterans who can't play (I think PHam later said Jack wasn't one of the players doing this, but it stuck)

Eichel is a douchebag

Leaks of things that were supposed to be private
"Eichel and Reinhart clash" thanks Paul Romanuk, you idiot.

We don't deserve this kid, quite honestly. 

And if people are really worried about the locker room, SJ's was far, far worse and they went to the cup final like a year later. THAT situation was a toxic mess. Same with Minnesota last year, the clashing between vets and young guys. This is hardly uncommon but will always induce freakouts and hot takes.

Are you missing the point here? If Eichel said he won't sign an extension if Bylsma is retained, that's hardly a statement on behalf of the team. It's a very selfish Eichel statement. It is classic coach-killing.

If he was elected by the players to help facilitate a change, the contract is his biggest chip to play.

Of course, if the whole thing is untrue, then *shoulder shrug emoji*

Dan and GMTM are the problem. Eichel is not. You drafted a generational player to be the face of the Sabres for years to come. And he's delivering, with 22 fewer games this year, he beats last year's points total. Why are some trying to hold him negatively accountable for allegedly calling out the deficiencies in the organization. Because he wants to move forward? Because he's young? Who else is going to voice their opinion that matters? We're slamming our star player for wanting to have the best team. We've all acknowledged that Dan is an issue. Are we supposed to just assume Terry would do the right thing?

What do you mean by this? I'm pretty sure Bylsma wanted Jack to carry the puck a lot, he knows how skilled Jack is with it. I don't think JACK was the one tossing the system to do what he wanted, he already was allowed to do that. 

Example-wise though, Crosby literally dogged it until his coach got fired just last season. 

The shadow cat guy suggested Eichel would play his own system next year if Bylsma were retained.

See: my post about the Leafs' possession numbers last season. I know you don't want to believe it because it flies in the face of your "it's all the roster, Bylsma is fine" world view, but team possession is heavily dependent upon the system the coach runs.

Bylsma's peeps are just unhappy because they've spent the whole season playing contrarian while bringing almost nothing to the table to back it except postgame quotes from the worst player on the team, and now at the end the best player on the team, acting as a spokesperson for the rest of the players who asked him to do this, went to the GM and said that they can't continue to play in the garbage system, reinforcing everything that they have been arguing against all season long. So next year when a different coach with a good system has everyone playing good possession hockey, they'll point to Guhle replacing Gorges and whatever middling player we get in a trade as the reason Sam Reinhart, Ryan O'Reilly, Jack Eichel, and Kyle Okposo are now scoring at even strength as well as every power play, entering the zone with ease, Carrier and other ELC wingers doing far more damage than before. 

It's got legs... TSN picked it up and posted it.

If nothing else the PR department is going to be busy.

Yahoo picked it up too

Believe what? Both Fish and Donatelli said Eichel made no such statement.

You're surprised his agent refutes something that makes him look bad?

Actually, what we've already witnessed is Jack blasting other players, not the coach.

*Byslma benches Eichel for a shift for carrying the puck out of the zone

*Jack the very next day on the benching: 'That's my style, I'm not going to change it'

There's a ton of other stuff too that honestly I don't feel like repeating; it's been gone over so many freaking times. People are amazed that this is consistently reported and observed, because they point to the fact that, for some unknown and unprecedented reason, Eichel hasn't come out and directly said 'Byslma is a bad coach'

Bylsma's peeps are just unhappy because they've spent the whole season playing contrarian while bringing almost nothing to the table to back it except postgame quotes from the worst player on the team, and now at the end the best player on the team, acting as a spokesperson for the rest of the players who asked him to do this, went to the GM and said that they can't continue to play in the garbage system, reinforcing everything that they have been arguing against all season long. So next year when a different coach with a good system has everyone playing good possession hockey, they'll point to Guhle replacing Gorges and whatever middling player we get in a trade as the reason Sam Reinhart, Ryan O'Reilly, Jack Eichel, and Kyle Okposo are now scoring at even strength as well as every power play, entering the zone with ease, Carrier and other ELC wingers doing far more damage than before. 

They still won't be believe it until they are face to face with Jack and hear him directly say that he is not under any outside influences, is sober, hooked to a lie detector, and does indeed think Byslma is a bad head coach

Sorry I didn't spend, was it, dozens of hours that I don't have, picking out screen shots to prove my point of a team whose system was so beautiful that they missed the playoffs as well.

They still won't be believe it until they are face to face with Jack and hear him directly say that he is not under any outside influences, is sober, hooked to a lie detector, and does indeed think Byslma is a bad head coach

It's just amazing what fans expect of him. He's gotta be humble, but a leader, but outspoken and earn the C, and be a productive goal scorer, and play end to end, but stop coasting and skate harder, but also log more ice time, and talk more to the press and sit up straight and not mumble, but don't be too outspoken, he needs to learn from the vets, but he also needs to mature quicker and may more strides, he needs clearer skin, and he needs to be better at face offs, and he needs better local Buffalo sponsorships without filling his head with too much hot air, and should sign a fifth year now, but not have expectations for the future of the team, and get mad about losing, but not so mad that it looks staged. 

@Matt_Bove

"This is 100% fake. This is a complete fabrication." Peter Fish, Jack Eichel's agents on reports of friction between 15 & Dan Bylsma @WKBW

@Matt_Bove

Fish on Eichel:"Yes his frustration level is there but it's his frustration, he didn't get the team to the playoffs & he's frustrated" @WKBW

@Matt_Bove

"I think he's very taken back by this right now. He's like wow, I can't believe this was actually being said & out there," - Fish on Eichel

Sorry I didn't spend, was it, dozens of hours that I don't have, picking out screen shots to prove my point of a team whose system was so beautiful that they missed the playoffs as well.

The worst PDO team in the league, whose best player was Jeff Skinner, joining a tanking Toronto team on a list of teams that post much better possession stats than the Buffalo Sabres who sported more than double the number of 50 point players from the previous season than either of those teams? Pretty pathetic that that team that missed the playoffs dominated us in possession despite that, eh? 

I'm so hurt by that dinky little pot shot that I didn't realize it's as bad an argument as literally every single one you've had all season long. Oh wait, I did catch that.

And don't worry, I won't be as much of a loser who has loads of free time in his mom's basement next season. So you'll be able to have crappy opinions in peace.

Edited by Randall Flagg