Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

"Jack just doesn't have a desire to play for Bylsma" P.H.

"What do you think of this full throttle denial of it from his agents?" Schoop (think it was him who asked?)

"I think that is people doing their job" PH

Edited by LGR4GM

The line is that Jack Eichel does not want to sign a contract extension THIS SUMMER if Bylsma is still coach. From listening to PH, sounds like Jack wants to see what happens next season if Bylsma remains. 

PH indicates that it sounds like half of the team is in the boat of disliking Bylsma and this isn't just Jack. If it were just one player being critical of the coach there is a problem getting rid of the coach. If it is a half the team, less of an issue. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Hammy:  he was interviewing DDB in Pittsburgh this year, Malkin walked by, DDB said hello, Malkin said nothing and kept walking.

I thought that was telling. I have no doubt that DD will be fired before the 2017 NHL draft. And, I think the spoiled kid (Eichel) talk is overdone. It's Jack's team. Someone posted on here, and so I read, Lemieux was unhappy with his coach and a change was made. I have read that Crosby was unhappy with DD, although Crosby denied it, and a change was made. It happens and my opinion of Jack is not going to be any less if it is solely Jack that gets DD fired; and I don't think that is the case because there is a lot more of the team in that camp.

Have we ever seen any real evidence of Jack Eichel not being a team player? Ever?

Who's even questioning that? You sound like his agent. He's great with kids! Who said he tells them to go play on the thruway?

If the story is true, a 20-year-old is trying to get his coach fired. Not a good look.

I thought that was telling. I have no doubt that DD will be fired before the 2017 NHL draft. And, I think the spoiled kid (Eichel) talk is overdone. It's Jack's team. Someone posted on here, and so I read, Lemieux was unhappy with his coach and a change was made. I have read that Crosby was unhappy with DD, although Crosby denied it, and a change was made. It happens and my opinion of Jack is not going to be any less if it is solely Jack that gets DD fired; and I don't think that is the case because there is a lot more of the team in that camp.

Yep.

Have we ever seen any real evidence of Jack Eichel not being a team player? Ever?

Nope. On the contrary, I get the distinct impression that, as elite players go, he is about as fun a guy to have on your team as you could hope for.

This video still amuses me.

Hammy:  he was interviewing DDB in Pittsburgh this year, Malkin walked by, DDB said hello, Malkin said nothing and kept walking.

That's just because even after 20 years of being in this country, Malkin still can't speak English and didn't even know he said hello.

Who's even questioning that? You sound like his agent. He's great with kids! Who said he tells them to go play on the thruway?

If the story is true, a 20-year-old is trying to get his coach fired. Not a good look.

So, GM asks Jack "What do you think of the coach?", "What do you think of the system?"

You want him to lie ?

He doesn't like coach or system, if said as much, so be it.

Look, if you don't want to here the answer, don't ask the question.  GMTM asked

Good read from Bill Hoppe with expanded coverage of what Peter Fish said. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/jack-eichels-agent-says-client-unfairly-criticized-wants-stay-sabres/

Fish said Eichel met with his coach and GM before he recently returned to Boston.

“When he came home, he said he had a pretty positive meeting with Dan and Tim and kind of seemed excited what might happen for next year,” he said. “Every year, every team that doesn’t make the playoffs, they’re probably one or two little tweaks away from making the playoffs, and Jack’s a very, very competitive kid.”

Edited by LGR4GM

Hammy:  there are "quite a few" players that "despise" playing for DDB.

It sounds like a split room. It's usually not the complacent individual who is going to be against the coach. If that can be accepted as true, how many were firmly in the DD camp? And who are those people??? Ship their ass out of town with the coach!

My guess is that it is some of the grinders, some of the veterans who feel loyalty is admirable, and some of the young guys who are naturally skittish because they know they need to impress anyone and everyone. Now, if you can accept that as being true, when the new coach moves in, there shouldn't be an issue with either the veterans or the rookies. Shouldn't be that big of a deal for the team to make the move. The only one really impacted is Pegula's pocketbook.

What's the worst case scenario here, that it's as bad as it looks *and* Murray was basically clueless on how bad it has been? For instance, what if Murray was being 100% honest during his presser when he said to that point he had not thought about firing Bylsma? In this case, his exit interview with Jack would have hit him like a ton of bricks (the room, the system, the...contract?). Would help explain the progression of the presser from off kilter to airing the laundry with surprising candidness. Furthermore, what if Murray isn't as well schooled on hockey systems and whatnot as we'd (perhaps incorrectly) expect a GM to be, such that he didn't "get" how his pieces were a bad fit for Bylsma's approach?

That's basically the doomsday scenario, right? You have a bad/clueless/poor fit at head coach with a GM blissfully unaware of the gravity of the problems. If true, I don't expect any kind of announcement today, as I expect Pegula has some thinking to do. He may well be mulling Murray's fate.

Again, that's worst case. But if, and stressing if, it's somewhat accurate...a full sweep makes sense, right?

4pm and no word about Murray's meeting. Safe to assume nothing is going to happen today?

Warrow reported the meeting is to be held over two days.  So this will likely be dragging into tomorrow.....

What's the worst case scenario here, that it's as bad as it looks *and* Murray was basically clueless on how bad it has been? For instance, what if Murray was being 100% honest during his presser when he said to that point he had not thought about firing Bylsma? In this case, his exit interview with Jack would have hit him like a ton of bricks (the room, the system, the...contract?). Would help explain the progression of the presser from off kilter to airing the laundry with surprising candidness. Furthermore, what if Murray isn't as well schooled on hockey systems and whatnot as we'd (perhaps incorrectly) expect a GM to be, such that he didn't "get" how his pieces were a bad fit for Bylsma's approach?

That's basically the doomsday scenario, right? You have a bad/clueless/poor fit at head coach with a GM blissfully unaware of the gravity of the problems. If true, I don't expect any kind of announcement today, as I expect Pegula has some thinking to do. He may well be mulling Murray's fate.

Again, that's worst case. But if, and stressing if, it's somewhat accurate...a full sweep makes sense, right?

I think so.  I love the scouting TM does and his blunt attitude in interviews.  But this whole coaching issue and failure to address the D have me feeling ok if Murray is canned too.

Warrow reported the meeting is to be held over two days.  So this will likely be dragging into tomorrow.....

I think so.  I love the scouting TM does and his blunt attitude in interviews.  But this whole coaching issue and failure to address the D have me feeling ok if Murray is canned too.

I can't get there yet. We have barely witnessed Murray as GM. This is literally his first actual stumble. How he handles it might get me there but I think he deserves the opportunity to figure it out especially since I doubt he was solely responsible for Bylsma's hiring. Pegula's man of faith and Pittsburgh love added to his love of coaches with a name he knows makes me wonder...

Edited by LGR4GM