GDT: Ottawa at Buffalo, November 9, 2016, 7:30 pm

Eleven

I wonder if a coach has ever just told Kane to straight up "hit the net."

"Hey, Evander, when you shoot the puck, just make sure it hits the net. Period. There are beer league players all acrost both of these great nations that can do it. Just,... hit the net."

Back to back home losses to Toronto and Ottawa

Pathetic

Ya that hurts me

Got a point without Jack and ROR playing. Keep collecting them while we're down. It'll help a lot come 2017.

Wow, Rick sounds good. Not only his voice, but his descriptions seem so much sharper than in the recent past. I love hearing his little giggle. I needed it tonight.

I thought Rick was bad tonight. Called Lenny Lenart at one point that made me say WHHHAAATT?

Craig rivet says the Sabres should make this rink tough to play in. Ya right!!

He needs to clarify that he means for the other team.

Treeading water until the studs get back in the lineup, they're doing OK.

Really, this is a very tanky lineup without Eichel and O'Reilly, that's 116 points out of the lineup.

And yet.... the fourth line was probably our second best line tonight.

GMTM must've talked with Dan about 3 on 3. The Sabres were attacking so much more, no longer fearing zone entries like it's 5 on 5. Ottawa was lucky to reach the shootout.

Which line was that? They all look like 3rd and 4th lines when you're missing your top 2 centers.

And when your top 2 centers are by far your best forwards.

Kane was Kane.

Watching him, I'd forgotten a bit about how he can forecheck like hell. I'd also lost sight of how he seems - for the most part - to make passes in he O zone that are theoretically good, but are uninformed by what's actually going on on the ice at that moment.

Reinhart, Kane, Okposo, O'Reilly, Risto and Kulikov are more than capable to carry some offense and it's not happening

Yeh thought they outplayed Ottowa, yet no score.. Sam needs to hit someone. Sabres need to do passing and one timer drills on say a goalie board just to get their confidence and accuracy up. And do some puck handling drills. Seriously, find a way to beat these goaltenders, stop making them look like Dominic Haek.

My buddy who was in from St Louis texted me and said that was the "lamest game" he has seen in years.

I think many fans have forgotten what real hockey even looks like......this team is bad

I said that very thing during the game. It was bad hockey from two bad teams. Last week people were talking about how exciting the TO game was. I found it dreadful.

Mad. Bad. Sad.

i can only watch extended highlights and not actual games. is it just a side effect of highlights or are goalies playing out of their minds vs us?

We don't exactly making it difficult on them. The only one I ever see in front of the net is Reinhart.

Ya, he had a really annoyingly good game today, generating a bunch of chances.

I too thought Reino was much improved.  The most likely explanation is probably just that he was playing with much better wingers in Kaner and KO as opposed to Ennis and Zemgus.

This team is flat out boring and it shows when you can't even give tickets away

That game was indeed a snoozer.  It felt like watching 2 bottom-8 teams slog through a completely inconsequential game.

I wonder if a coach has ever just told Kane to straight up "hit the net."

"Hey, Evander, when you shoot the puck, just make sure it hits the net. Period. There are beer league players all acrost both of these great nations that can do it. Just,... hit the net."

Well, he might deserve a bit of slack after missing 10 or so games and coming back early to play with broken ribs.  I thought he was the Sabres' best or second-best forward last night.

i can only watch extended highlights and not actual games. is it just a side effect of highlights or are goalies playing out of their minds vs us?

Toronto's goalie played very well, and Rask was solid, but not the difference in the Boston game IMHO.  Ottawa's goalie last night was unremarkable -- the Sabres just didn't create any chances. 

Obviously wanted the win but what a great effort from the boys last night.  That overtime was a thing of beauty other than scoring.  Loving Carrier and Baptiste game.  The speed those two bring are friggen incredible.  Kulikov.  Lock his ass up long term.

I read the first couple pages yesterday and the last couple of the GDT this morning and still don't know if Ennis was a healthy scratch. Can anyone please enlighten me?

I know it's the job of the coach to try and play a style/scheme that gives his team the best chance to win, but man that is some boring hockey with the talent this team has. 

Edited by Woods-Racer

I read the first couple pages yesterday and the last couple of the GDT this morning and still don't know if Ennis was a healthy scratch. Can anyone please enlighten me?

I know it's the job of the coach to try and play a style/scheme that gives his team the best chance to win, but man that is some boring hockey with the talent this team has. 

I don't think he was a healthy scratch.  He was out with a 'middle body injury.'

Obviously wanted the win but what a great effort from the boys last night.  That overtime was a thing of beauty other than scoring.  Loving Carrier and Baptiste game.  The speed those two bring are friggen incredible.  Kulikov.  Lock his ass up long term.

Funny, I was going to say virtually the same thing, on all counts.  We have the top shelf talent in the high draft picks, but there's supporting cast that will be ready for primetime very soon.

I know a lot of people are down on Grant, but I think you need players like that in your system.  He may or may not be a fulltime NHLer, but he's a competent, responsible player that's pretty good at the faceoff dot.  One of the criticisms of Edmonton in the wake of all the #1 picks is they had too many scoring forwards and not enough supporting cast.  Grant is one of those supporting cast guys you need to eat up minutes, play passably well with a variety of players (4th line is usually affected when players on higher lines are injured), and be able to chip in a bit offensively.  He's not a superstar but he doesn't make too many glaring errors either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.