Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

15 hours ago, Weave said:

Damn kids today.

He can't help it, man. Guy spends half his time clubbing rats in the basement while huffing paint and the other half pretending to know bird law while huffing paint. He doesn't have time to learn about cult leaders that died probably around 10 years before he was born. Heck it was only 3 years before I was born and I probably would have never heard of it if it wasn't for that Anthrax song that came on out Attack of the Killer B's in the early 90's.

Edited by Alkoholist
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, WildCard said:

Is there a good movie/documentary about Jonestown? I gotta watch that next

Not sure on this but if you ever find yourself in LA/Hollywood and want to experience this in eerie ways head to the museum of death.

21 hours ago, WildCard said:

There's quite a few. The PBS one, "Jonestown: The Life and Death of the People's Temple" is good. "Jonestown: Paradise Lost" is another good one. Also look into docs that focus more on Jones himself- talk about a sociopath.  

I feel like I remember a 4 parter on it, but I could be wrong. Check out podcasts too- some go into more depth. If you like kinda stupid humor but good research, Last Podcast on the Left's 4 parter is good. They also include a recording of the whole Jonestown death tape. It's fuc*ing chilling. 

If you're in a cult mood, check out the other netflix doc on a bizarreo cult- Holy Hell. And check out any doc or podcast series you can find on Aum Shinrikyo- the leader, Shoko Asahara, was just put to death in Japan a couple of weeks ago. They're the group responsible for the Tokyo sarin gas attack- and it was full of very smart people- engineers, doctors, etc. Really fascinating. Also had its own anime.

Edited by josie

1 minute ago, josie said:

There's quite a few. The PBS one, "Jonestown: The Life and Death of the People's Temple" is good. "Jonestown: Paradise Lost" is another good one. Also look into docs that focus more on Jones himself- talk about a sociopath.  

I feel like I remember a 4 parter on it, but I could be wrong. Check out podcasts too- some go into more depth. If you like kinda stupid humor but good research, Last Podcast on the Left's 4 parter is good. They also include a recording of the whole Jonestown death tape. It's fuc*ing chilling. 

I never can understand why people get caught up in this stuff and I'm talking about guys like Jones and Koresh in Waco. 

Just now, jsb said:

I never can understand why people get caught up in this stuff and I'm talking about guys like Jones and Koresh in Waco. 

I know, right? That's my fascination with it. Seemingly stable, well educated, sane folks just dropping everything and rebranding themselves to follow these dudes. My mom knew a few people who were "kidnapped" (as she put it) by the Moonies. I know a few people who became Scientologists. It's just baffling.

Gawker just did a 6 or 7 part series on a current cult leader, if you call her that... Some woman named Teal Swan. She's really attractive and her whole thing is based on suicide- why you should or shouldn't do it, deep psychology, spiritual stuff... but in Jones fashion, she has a retreat in Costa Rica you basically have to get rid of your life to attend... people get hooked on her youtube series and then become her students... 

5 hours ago, josie said:

I know, right? That's my fascination with it. Seemingly stable, well educated, sane folks just dropping everything and rebranding themselves to follow these dudes. My mom knew a few people who were "kidnapped" (as she put it) by the Moonies. I know a few people who became Scientologists. It's just baffling.

Gawker just did a 6 or 7 part series on a current cult leader, if you call her that... Some woman named Teal Swan. She's really attractive and her whole thing is based on suicide- why you should or shouldn't do it, deep psychology, spiritual stuff... but in Jones fashion, she has a retreat in Costa Rica you basically have to get rid of your life to attend... people get hooked on her youtube series and then become her students... 

Not that I go too deep into a lot of this stuff...  but..

Sometimes the educated are the most susceptible because they have the capacity to imagine that what we perceive as reality might not be reality.

There's a point where you look around at how things operate in life and you begin to wonder if you are not meant to be part of that.  As though there is something else that would make more sense because what you see, day to day, makes no sense.  

Along comes Polly and boom.. the right message, at the right time, and hooked.

Some people find escape in the purchase of gas station lottery tickets.  Some find it in Costa Rica at a cult complex.

32 minutes ago, LTS said:

Not that I go too deep into a lot of this stuff...  but..

Sometimes the educated are the most susceptible because they have the capacity to imagine that what we perceive as reality might not be reality.

There's a point where you look around at how things operate in life and you begin to wonder if you are not meant to be part of that.  As though there is something else that would make more sense because what you see, day to day, makes no sense.  

Along comes Polly and boom.. the right message, at the right time, and hooked.

Some people find escape in the purchase of gas station lottery tickets.  Some find it in Costa Rica at a cult complex.

For sure. And the right puppet master knows which strings to pull. I know a few people who've gotten "suckered" into similar things. Everyone has a soft spot/a price. Some people just need the nudge and reassurance to drop all the things that they feel are holding them back. 

I totally get it. But it'd have to be like an animal snuggling cult where my existence is to love adorable round fuzzy things 24/7. 

1 minute ago, drnkirishone said:

It is human nature to want to belong, to be part of a group.

It is also human nature to exploit the above for personal gain. We are a very strange species

I think this is what it is.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, this stuff is blowing my mind. Not sure I'll listen to that death tape though, Josie. Last time someone recommended something similar I still haven't gotten it out of my head.

39 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

It is human nature to want to belong, to be part of a group.

It is also human nature to exploit the above for personal gain. We are a very strange species

Did I see something at some point about SDS buying drinks for everyone at the most recent sabrespace gathering?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, WildCard said:

12 hours ago, josie said:

Josie's recommendations are solid. 

Lost in the haze of everything that happened at Jonestown... a member of congress was murdered in the build-up to the final atrocity.  Back when that should have been a big deal.  Sheesh...

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

I think this is what it is.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, this stuff is blowing my mind. Not sure I'll listen to that death tape though, Josie. Last time someone recommended something similar I still haven't gotten it out of my head.

Yeah. It doesn't sound like much until you realize what you're hearing. Most of that stuff doesn't really get to me, but that one does. Def. take some discretion for yourself. No need to fu*k your brain up.

41 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Lost in the haze of everything that happened at Jonestown... a member of congress was murdered in the build-up to the final atrocity.  Back when that should have been a big deal.  Sheesh...

Right? People COMPLETELY forget about the shooting/assassination on a damn runway at the airport... an action movie couldn't make that sh!t up and it really happened, and the flavor-aid mass suicide absolutely overshadows it. 

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

The strangest has to be the cult with the sneakers who were going to meet the comet. What a hoot. Honestly, I couldn't fall for that shite.

Weren't those the ones who were obsessed with the Haley-Bop (or however you spell it)? I feel like I remember seeing a picture as a kid of people all in white, rather conservative outfits with big white shoes all dead in bunk beds or something... 

1 hour ago, josie said:

Yeah. It doesn't sound like much until you realize what you're hearing. Most of that stuff doesn't really get to me, but that one does. Def. take some discretion for yourself. No need to fu*k your brain up.

Right? People COMPLETELY forget about the shooting/assassination on a damn runway at the airport... an action movie couldn't make that sh!t up and it really happened, and the flavor-aid mass suicide absolutely overshadows it. 

Weren't those the ones who were obsessed with the Haley-Bop (or however you spell it)? I feel like I remember seeing a picture as a kid of people all in white, rather conservative outfits with big white shoes all dead in bunk beds or something... 

Ya that was them. They all had the same brand of sneakers ( not sure which ones,lol ) but I've often wondered if they made their destination. They were all laid out peacefully dead on bunk beds in white outfits that looked oddly enough space worthy. Well not space suits but outfits designed for lounging on the bridge or at the controls of a comet. Not sure what part the sneakers played other than another form of control by their leader.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:36 PM, bunomatic said:

Ya that was them. They all had the same brand of sneakers ( not sure which ones,lol ) but I've often wondered if they made their destination. They were all laid out peacefully dead on bunk beds in white outfits that looked oddly enough space worthy. Well not space suits but outfits designed for lounging on the bridge or at the controls of a comet. Not sure what part the sneakers played other than another form of control by their leader.

What’s kind of eerie about this is that you may remember that they were in all white because of the white sheets placed over the bodies at the scene. You can find the video their leader made online pretty easily. Not to bring it back up but the Museum of Death in Hollywood has a ln exhibit setup for this one. There’s a bunk bed with a dummy dressed the way they were and the video playing on loop. I can’t imagine being the one to close that place up at night.

14 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Adrien Brody just might be one of the top 3 best actors I have ever seen. He is a New Yorker who has played a punk rocker, a Polish Jew and an Italian. I'm sorry, guys like Tom Hanks and Leo Decraprio can't pull that off. 

He’s really good in The Jacket. Also, he looks like white Snoop Dogg.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

What’s kind of eerie about this is that you may remember that they were in all white because of the white sheets placed over the bodies at the scene. You can find the video their leader made online pretty easily. Not to bring it back up but the Museum of Death in Hollywood has a ln exhibit setup for this one. There’s a bunk bed with a dummy dressed the way they were and the video playing on loop. I can’t imagine being the one to close that place up at night.

He’s really good in The Jacket. Also, he looks like white Snoop Dogg.

sure o.k. its been awhile since I saw this on the news so that accounts for the white. I'd like to see this museum of death. Muhahahaha.

The main leadering people in this Rajneesh cult make me irrationally angry/frustrated. They're all filthy rich, have attempted numerous murders and assassinations, and illegally filmed and recorded thousands on the camp...and yet here they are preaching love and acceptance and playing the poor me the world just doesn't understand us and they're all a bunch of fascist bigots out to get us.  YOU ADMITTED ON CAMERA AND IN COURT AND IN YOUR BOOKS YOU SELL  MILLIONS OF TO AN ATTEMPTED ASSASSINATION AND BIO TERROR ATTACK

Edited by WildCard

8 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Adrien Brody just might be one of the top 3 best actors I have ever seen. He is a New Yorker who has played a punk rocker, a Polish Jew and an Italian. I'm sorry, guys like Tom Hanks and Leo Decraprio can't pull that off. 

His best role was Flirty Harry in Inappropriate comedy. Hilarious stuff. His bits were nothing more than a bunch of sex puns, but I appreciate it when respected actors take part in movies like that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

sure o.k. its been awhile since I saw this on the news so that accounts for the white. I'd like to see this museum of death. Muhahahaha.

Hey Bun,

How close are the fires to you?

We have a friend out in Nanaimo who, as of last night, was on the edge of the evacuation 'stand by' zone.  The fire is (was) only 6 km from her.  That's nothing.  There is some 4 lane highway between hr and the fire, but fires have been known to 'jump' that far.

Stay safe.