2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

I don't get his slide. It's like he isn't sexy enough to be taken higher.

I agree that if a elite offensive guy is there, take him over a weaker defender

I think I can say with certainty that Patrick, Hischier, Heiskanen and Vilardi will be gone prior to the Sabres picking at #8

Would anyone rate Mittlestadt, Rasmussen, Glass, Vesalainen or Tippett (or any other forward) as being an elite player compared to Liljegren or Makar? I would venture to guess that they all will be rated very close to each other.

Therefore, I'm taking Liljegren or Makar (assuming one is still on the board).  Both Liljegren and Makar are RHD, so they would fit in nicely with Risto on the right side. 

Now that Antipin is officially on board, the Sabres have McCabe, Guhle and Antipin as the 3 LHD of the future.

I hadn't realized it was an open book test. Life is just like high school

I thought it was a box of chocolates???

I don't care who it is, just make sure he's somebody that'll be good in hopefully less than 3 years.

3 on Pittsburg and 1 on Nashville according to hockey reference

Really? That's strange. Because I swore I read somewhere on this board that all the Preds defensemen were all can't miss all stars and all Housley had to do was show up to work to look good.

I think I can say with certainty that Patrick, Hischier, Heiskanen and Vilardi will be gone prior to the Sabres picking at #8

Would anyone rate Mittlestadt, Rasmussen, Glass, Vesalainen or Tippett (or any other forward) as being an elite player compared to Liljegren or Makar? I would venture to guess that they all will be rated very close to each other.

Therefore, I'm taking Liljegren or Makar (assuming one is still on the board). Both Liljegren and Makar are RHD, so they would fit in nicely with Risto on the right side.

Now that Antipin is officially on board, the Sabres have McCabe, Guhle and Antipin as the 3 LHD of the future.

I have Mittlestadt in my top 4. He's committed to Univ of Minnesota next season. He's going to be a star. He sees the game like Reinhart but he's a plus skater and shooter. Him and Eichel together would be absurd.

So every all-star was a first round pick?

I guess that's my point. Later round picks aren't sure things and need to be developed. Housley likely played a big part in that development. I guess it also speaks volumes about the Preds ability to find future stars too.

Edited by kas23

I have Mittlestadt in my top 4. He's committed to Univ of Minnesota next season. He's going to be a star. He sees the game like Reinhart but he's a plus skater and shooter. Him and Eichel together would be absurd.

Mittlestadt I like too. Kids got a good motor and yea if he's there at 8 idk I might skip the defender available unless it's 1 of 2 guys left.

I guess that's my point. Later round picks aren't sure things and need to be developed. Housley likely played a big part in that development. I guess it also speaks volumes about the Preds ability to find future stars too.

I hope Housley is the defenseman whisperer and can magically turn the Sabres D into the 2008 Anaheim Ducks. There is just no way to know for certain whether it's the coaching or the players.

Somebody usually slips, right?

Yeah, but a skilled centre in a draft that hasn't got many?

I'm more hopeful that we are the ones that go off the board and grab a guy 10 picks too high, but we are right.

I'm talking Valimaki is Hampus Lindholm or (wildest dreams) Brannstrom is Erik Karlsson

Edited by dudacek

This +2

I saw him in tbe USHL after his HS season ended.  He reminds me Matthews alot but maybe a better skater. I f we can get Makar kr Middlestat I would be ecstatic. 

This +2

I saw him in tbe USHL after his HS season ended. He reminds me Matthews alot but maybe a better skater. I f we can get Makar kr Middlestat I would be ecstatic.

Being a Center, why isn't he ranked higher than he is? Is it the level of competition he faced?

Being a Center, why isn't he ranked higher than he is? Is it the level of competition he faced?

I have heard two different opinions. The first is that he is further away than some of the others like Hischier and Patrick. The other is the choice to play HS. Wasn't the usual "choice" most players make. I have also seen a few mocks with him going 3rd or fourth.

I always like to find players that should be gone a few picks in front of us (3-5 picks) because someone slides and besides rankings in the later rounds are guesswork to the extreme. So that brings me to a kid from Victor. David Farrance is a 5'11" LHD, 189lbs. Ranked 46th for NA skaters I see him going in the 58-64 range (you should add about 10 Euro skaters in the top 50 conservatively). This gives Buffalo a few options, they can take him 54 or 68th if they think he will slide. They could also trade up using 68 and 89 as it is easier to trade up in later rounds. 

Why do I like him? 

He skates really well. Fast, agile, and slippery. From what I can read and watch, he has good vision and good passing. Transition game is strong and he is good defensively for the most part. He is committed to Boston Univ. for next year and can continue to work on his game. He has a June 99 bday which means he won't be 18 for about a month. 

Why do I dislike him?

The major knock on him is that he isn't physical enough in the corners and in front of the net. This is a big concern because in the NHL you have to battle in those areas to be a successful defender. His shot is noted time and time again for being mediocre. Passes great but his shot needs way more power. 

If a few other players I have mentioned are gone at 58 I might take this guy. He is local and could be a top 4 defender in 3-5 years. Really important to hit on these late 2nd and early 3rd round picks. This is a step towards adding defender prospects to the pool. There are forward options available at this rank but I am focusing on defenders for now.

I always like to find players that should be gone a few picks in front of us (3-5 picks) because someone slides and besides rankings in the later rounds are guesswork to the extreme. So that brings me to a kid from Victor. David Farrance is a 5'11" LHD, 189lbs. Ranked 46th for NA skaters I see him going in the 58-64 range (you should add about 10 Euro skaters in the top 50 conservatively). This gives Buffalo a few options, they can take him 54 or 68th if they think he will slide. They could also trade up using 68 and 89 as it is easier to trade up in later rounds.

Why do I like him?

He skates really well. Fast, agile, and slippery. From what I can read and watch, he has good vision and good passing. Transition game is strong and he is good defensively for the most part. He is committed to Boston Univ. for next year and can continue to work on his game. He has a June 99 bday which means he won't be 18 for about a month.

Why do I dislike him?

The major knock on him is that he isn't physical enough in the corners and in front of the net. This is a big concern because in the NHL you have to battle in those areas to be a successful defender. His shot is noted time and time again for being mediocre. Passes great but his shot needs way more power.

If a few other players I have mentioned are gone at 58 I might take this guy. He is local and could be a top 4 defender in 3-5 years. Really important to hit on these late 2nd and early 3rd round picks. This is a step towards adding defender prospects to the pool. There are forward options available at this rank but I am focusing on defenders for now.

Jesus he was born on June 99th? :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.