2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

I still think Hiskainen slides to #8. I could be very wrong but this draft is really up and down with talent. I could see 5 teams in front of Buffalo going after forwards without hesitation. 2 teams I think could go defense. Arizona I think takes Makar because he would fit with how they draft and do things. The other team is Dallas. Every other team really needs forwards. NJ and Philly are taking forwards. Vancouver, Colorado and Vegas need forward help bad. There are a number of big centers and wingers that are all ranked right with the top 3 defenders (Makar, Liljegren, and Heiskanen). Dallas is at #3 and I think it is a hard sell to take a defender there. Vilardi, Glass, and Mittlestadt will all be available and I rank 2 of the 3 ahead of Makar in my mind because forwards are a bit easier to predict. It is safer to take one of them and they are  honestly on par with the defenders talent wise. 

My May MOCK:

1. Hischier - NJD
  2. Patrick - Philly
  3. Vilardi - Dallas
  4. Mittelstadt - Colorado
  5. Petterson - Vancouver (some may call this a reach but I think it makes tons of sense for them)
  6. Glass - Vegas
  7. Makar - Arizona
  8. Heiskanen - Buffalo
  9. Tippet - Detroit
  10. Suzuki - Florida
  11. Rasmussen - LA
  12. Poehling - Carolina
  13. Vesalainen - Winnipeg
  14. Kostin - Tampa

I don't think Petterson is that much of a reach. Good Mock draft! hope you are right about Heiskanen. 

If the top 5 go as you say, I really hope the Sabres are on the phone with LV to get in front of Arizona.

I don't think Petterson is that much of a reach. Good Mock draft! hope you are right about Heiskanen. 

If the top 5 go as you say, I really hope the Sabres are on the phone with LV to get in front of Arizona.

If Colorado hasn't learned from it's previous mistakes it will draft one of Makar or Heiskanen at 4.  I could be completely off base, but they are as bad if not worse defensively than Buffalo.

If Heiskanen and Makar are gone, do you take Liljegren at #8?

If we keep the pick yes I definitely would take him. We should draft d not best player available. In earlier mock drafts last year he was #2 overall and backslid due to mono or something if memory serves me.I actually like him more than Makar because of size.

And yes I know Makar is a puck moving dman, they flourish in the league now etc I still like Heiskanen/ Liljegren/ Makar as my order.

Skating isn't a strength for Grigs. Liljegren is a great skater but I question his decision making.

Yeah I hear ya man, I've read that he has a turnover problem but scouts are talking like he has a high ceiling. A year or two in Rochester might do wonders. He won't step into the NHL anyway needs to adjust to NA game.

Curious to see where Lillegren ranks when the dust settles.

Most of the time when a guy slips drastically the scouts are right.

Shawn Anderson and David Cooper have scarred me for life.

(Don't give me Chychrun. Won't be surprised if he's Luke Schenn when he's done.)

I think the player evaluations/draft grades are in for a positional valuation shift similar to a market correction in real estate or the stock market. People say to draft BPA because you can always balance things out later with trades but when defenseman command such a premium on the trade market, it shouldn't take long for that to be reflected in other areas. Defensive prospects of equal "talent" will be seen as more valuable than their forward counterparts. It's only a matter of time. 

Edited by Drunkard

If you believe in Liljegren go ahead and take him.

But you don't ignore a Keller, Alex Nylander, or Jost level player just to get the best defenceman available.

Think Carolina doesn't regret passing on Nylander and Ehlers to take Fleury?

Edited by dudacek

I think the player evaluations/draft grades are in for a positional valuation shift similar to a market correction in real estate or the stock market. People say to draft BPA because you can always balance things out later with trades but when defenseman command such a premium on the trade market, it shouldn't take long for that to be reflected in other areas. Defensive prospects will be seen as more valuable than their forward counterparts. It's only a matter of time. 

Good point.

Although I'm not sure defensemen are necessarily becoming more valuable.    IMO, the issue is that there's been a shift in the desired skill set from big and strong to leaner more athletic types who can keep pace with faster skating forwards.     So we're seeing a large amount of turnover at that position throughout the league.     This means teams can increase their asking price if they have a stockpile of those type of players. 

That said, I still think it's important to take BPA and remain patient.

Good point.

Although I'm not sure defensemen are necessarily becoming more valuable.    IMO, the issue is that there's been a shift in the desired skill set from big and strong to leaner more athletic types who can keep pace with faster skating forwards.     So we're seeing a large amount of turnover at that position throughout the league.     This means teams can increase their asking price if they have a stockpile of those type of players. 

That said, I still think it's important to take BPA and remain patient.

I agree to a point, but I would also place a value on positions of need, whether it's forwards, defensemen, or even handedness. If our pipeline is chock full of right wingers and we're short of left wingers and I'm drafting next and the two highest guys on my board are a right winger who is rated a 8.7 and a left winger who is valued an 8.6 or 8.5 there's a good chance I forego BPA and grab the left winger. It all depends on how closely they are graded.

If you believe in Liljegren go ahead and take him.

But you don't ignore a Keller, Alex Nylander, or Jost level player just to get the best defenceman available.

Think Carolina doesn't regret passing on Nylander and Ehlers to take Fleury?

Exactly this. And where I think people get into trouble is knowing we need Dmen in the pipeline, they start subconsciously over-valuing the available D. I think this happened in the lead up to the 2016 draft.

I try to trade up with Vegas if I can.

Completely agree if the dman they want is on the board

Liljegren at 8 is a real possibility even with a lot of shade being thrown his way about his hockey IQ. That being said, I don't think you can find a forward at 8 that is without warts. Tippet's work ethic, Vilardi's skating, Glass needs to be stronger.

I'm taking Liljegren, Unless you have a forward available that is substantially rated higher.

Here are a couple of possibe 2nd round options in case the Sabres do take a forward at 8.

1) Henri Jokiharju - plays for Portland in the WHL. He is a puckmover and was one of the top dmen for the winter hawks once he adjusted to the smaller NA rinks

http://www.dubnetwork.ca/interviews/nhl-draft-profiles/2016-17-nhl-draft-profiles-henri-jokiharju/

2) Erik Brannstrom - Swedish dman who plays in the SHL for HV71. Very smart player with elite offensive abilities but is undersized at 5'10. Could go in first round but size may see him slip into the 2nd

http://thehockeywriters.com/erik-brannstrom-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Edited by Crusader1969

Curious to see where Lillegren ranks when the dust settles.

Most of the time when a guy slips drastically the scouts are right.

Shawn Anderson and David Cooper have scarred me for life.

(Don't give me Chychrun. Won't be surprised if he's Luke Schenn when he's done.)

I'm with you. To me he's like a Oliver Kylington. He was the #1 European skater during mid-season rankings but dropped for various reasons to Calgary in the second round. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him just not at number 8.

It's still early but right now I think our draft board needs to be Miro, Makar then BPA. (Assuming we don't trade it).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.