2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

He was also 2 inches shorter than listed. Drop baby drop!

Ditto.  Saw him post HS season.  He is strong on his skates and reminded me a lot of Matthews in the way he finds open space where there is seemingly none.  He'll get stronger as a Gopher. Would love to add this kid.

I thought they said 6ft2in. Could be wrong

So then he was actually 6' according to Blue?

Yea he was listed a hair under 6'2, and measured in a hair under 6'.

Ditto.  Saw him post HS season.  He is strong on his skates and reminded me a lot of Matthews in the way he finds open space where there is seemingly none.  He'll get stronger as a Gopher. Would love to add this kid.

Are scouts dumb enough to let a few measurables drop him? I know NFL scouts are :lol:

Yea he was listed a hair under 6'2, and measured in a hair under 6'.

Are scouts dumb enough to let a few measurables drop him? I know NFL scouts are :lol:

Cool, he's 6' that's fine.

Scouts are very dumb with measurables. A certain defender comes to mind. In 2016 the jets drafted Logan Stanley at #18. His production in juniors says he's a long shot to be much of anything in the NHL. So why did they? He's 6'7" so he's gotta be good right?? I bet money someone in this draft slides because a few other guys are "big". Big only matters if it first can skate and second can score.

Edited by LGR4GM

If Makar and Heiskanen are gone, im now leaning Owen Tippett with the 8th pick. he will drive scouts crazy with his one-dimensional game and his lack of effort without the puck but he can score like no one else in this draft. 

Here is one qoute from a scout :" without the puck he is f'n useles..but...he scores goals...big goals."

When we get to the 8th pick in this years draft you arent going to find a guy without warts. This guy has a chance to be a star and worth the gamble IMO.

Liljegren to me is a bigger risk to me to be a bust. Take the goal scorer and draft two Dmen in the 2nd round.

If Makar and Heiskanen are gone, im now leaning Owen Tippett with the 8th pick. he will drive scouts crazy with his one-dimensional game and his lack of effort without the puck but he can score like no one else in this draft. 

Here is one qoute from a scout :" without the puck he is f'n useles..but...he scores goals...big goals."

When we get to the 8th pick in this years draft you arent going to find a guy without warts. This guy has a chance to be a star and worth the gamble IMO.

Liljegren to me is a bigger risk to me to be a bust. Take the goal scorer and draft two Dmen in the 2nd round.

Feel like this is the one thing that every player like that fails out of the NHL for. 

I'm gonna think out loud before I really respond. So if Makar and Heiskanen are gone that's 2 picks plus Hischier, Patrick so 4. Then you have Vilardi who I can't see not going before 8. That gives us 5. So then we have to figure out the remaining 2 guys. Cody Glass I think will be one and then I would say Liljegren or Rasmussen. So that brings us to pick 8 with Makar, Heiskanen, Hischier, Patrick, Glass, Rasmussen and Vilardi all taken. 

So your options at potentially will be Liljegren (I think vancouver takes him and I think Heiskanen goes to Dallas but we are using your premise for argument sake) Mittlestadt, Tippett, and Pettersson. I would probably put them in that order. I don't hate Tippett but whenever he is on the ice you basically are playing a man down unless you have the puck if the reports are accurate. That won't fly well in todays NHL. I would really rather take one of the guys I have ranked above him or I can be convinced to play it safe and take Pettersson. Tippett and his lack of defense is a real problem for me personally when I think about a successful team. 

That said I think the real decision we will have is does Arizona take Makar or not. I think he could be there at #7 and I am not sure what they will do. They took Clayton Keller last year so I could see them taking Makar but idk, if Glass or Vilardi or Mittlestadt is there... hard sell for me but they could. I think Heiskanen to Dallas and Liljegren to Vancouver are likely. 

So trade Kane, and draft potential-Kane-in-4-years? No thanks.

Exactly.......

Hahhahahaha, ya I guess it's Karma coming around?

Nah, Eichel gives us that little extra that they don't have. 

Let me take a look at Arizona and try to guess who they take. Right now I feel good about:

NJD - Patrick

Philly - Hischier

Dallas - Heiskanen

Colorado - Vilardi, this may be wrong but they could use him at RW which is where I think he ends up

Vancouver - Liljegren, that's the rumor and for now I believe it

Vegas - Glass. I think they take a forward and I would guess center

Arizona - let me think on this...

Buffalo - depends on Arizona

Edited by LGR4GM

NJD - Patrick

Philly - Hischier

Dallas - Heiskanen

Colorado - Vilardi, this may be wrong but they could use him at RW which is where I think he ends up

Vancouver - Liljegren, that's the rumor and for now I believe it

Vegas - Glass. I think they take a forward and I would guess center

Arizona - Mittlestadt or Makar

Buffalo - Makar or Mittlestadt

- I think that this will be a coin flip. Arizona is using some advance analytics to make picks. That has been obvious when they have taken Dauphin, Dineen, Keller. I think the knock on Makar will be his age. Mittlestadt however is not much younger. It really depends on what Arizona thinks of these two players. They could use another top forward in the system. There is more defensive depth in this draft then forward depth IMPO. Idk it will be a hard call. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.