2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Better shot at Makar or Heinesken.

Lilligren should be there, but he did not have a great U-18. The draft lacks a true difference maker at the top, but there is some talent to be had

I don't even want maker. If lijegrin is there I would be surprised and take him. Edited by Derrico

Why do we want to trade up in what is suppose to be a ###### draft? Next year is suppose to be loaded. Either trade 8 as part of package for dman or trade 8 for a first next year if you can.

Makar could be available at 6 - most exciting offensive Dmen in years. He is the only guy I'm moving up for.

If they stay At 8 I'm rolling the dice with liljegren.

My early mock

NJ - Hischeir

PHI -Patrick

Dal- Heiskanen

Col - Makar

Van - Rasmussen

Vegas - Vilardi

Ari - Mittlestadt

Buff - Liljegren

Tippett, Glass and Necas would be a consideration.

Edited by Crusader1969

I understand what you're both saying, but at what point do you become Edmonton drafting all forwards as BPAs?

Trade if you have too. It'll be atleast four years before whoever they take will be impactfull so I'm just not drafting for need.

I understand what you're both saying, but at what point do you become Edmonton drafting all forwards as BPAs?

Correct!

However, as much as I've complained about TM drafting and acquiring only forward prospects, assuming we move Kane for a young vet D, like Brodin or Vatenen, we will have a top 6 with the oldest D being Bogo at 27 and an average age of 24 or lower. This ends our pressing need to get a top flight D in this draft. With 2 second rd picks, there should be a couple very talent D available at 37 or we combine our two picks and jump back into the 1st to get a D as well.

What we can't do is use all 3 top 2 round picks on forwards.

So who are the top-8 worthy defensemen? Makar, Heiskanen, Liljegren...anyone else?

And which of the 7 teams ahead of us are in danger of picking a defenseman?

Nearly Every team 3-7 needs good D, Dallas especially. The Nucks need everything as does LV, but the Nucks took Joulevi last year. Colorado could use one better then Zadorov and AZ has Murphy, Ekman-Larsson and Chychrun so it isn't the most pressing need.

If I had to guess, Dallas takes Miro and the Avs take Makar at this point. However, Colo could make a huge deal or two for one of their big forwards and change their needs dramatically.

Could be a trade option for Sabres if the guy they want is on the board at 6. Sabres have 2 2nds and 2 3rds. Extra draft picks may be what the expansion team is looking for?

Was thinking the same, If I was the gm of Vegas I'd trade back with like St louis for pick #20 and #31.

this does not change what will be the new GM's mandate and first and foremost issue...adding at least one or two good defencemen to the fold...th edraft is for prospects that will maybe help one day down the road but the Sabres obviously need help NOW on D...one thing for sure, Shattenkirk sure is not looking very good (terrible last night)

We already are.

Doesn't change BPA.  You need a GM that can make the right trades after you've drafted BPA.

Makar could be available at 6 - most exciting offensive Dmen in years. He is the only guy I'm moving up for.

If they stay At 8 I'm rolling the dice with liljegren.

My early mock

NJ - Hischeir

PHI -Patrick

Dal- Heiskanen

Col - Makar

Van - Rasmussen

Vegas - Vilardi

Ari - Mittlestadt

Buff - Liljegren

Tippett, Glass and Necas would be a consideration.

See I'm happy to see Liljegren fall to Buffalo, this is the same thing that happened last year with Chychrun, and he turned out just fine.  Putting up respectable numbers on a terrible Coyotes team.  He still has areas to improve in, but we want the best defensive prospects we can add!  This is the draft to take him!

Makar, Erik Karlsson

Heiskanen, Cam Fowler

Lillijgren, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

nice work there with your comparisons...I so want us to get Makar...exactly what we need a rushing offensive defenceman.hopefully we can trade up (our 8 plus say a 2nd or 3rd thrown in and maybe Ennis or Bogo haha) so we can get Makar

Edited by Sabre fan

Comparing Makar to Karlsson is something. Wow.

Right now I think Karlsson is well on his way to being the best in the NHL and should be there in two, or three, years.

I think he just means stylistically, not effectiveness.

For example, Eichel sometimes stylistically makes me think of some Lemieux or Fedorov highlights I've seen, but I obviously don't think he's as good as those players.

I think he just means stylistically, not effectiveness.

For example, Eichel sometimes stylistically makes me think of some Lemieux or Fedorov highlights I've seen, but I obviously don't think he's as good as those players.

I got what you mean and love him already...of course we may never see him in  a Sabre uniform so whatever...I can dream

We already are.

Doesn't change BPA.  You need a GM that can make the right trades after you've drafted BPA.

If you need defense as the Sabres do, it's going to be expensive to make a deal, especially with so many teams needing help.

Hall for Larson is an example of a huge overpay for D help.

Ex GMTM said in an interview they need to concentrate on drafting D with the top pick, will the next GM feel the same way, only time with tell.

It's true any player drafted is probably 2-3 seasons away, I would prefer they drafted a D Ma

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.