2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

I think your guess is wrong. the Top 2 will be gone before the Sabres draft IMO. So Id' say there is basically 0 chance of one of them play for the Sabres next season (unless they trade up). Heiskanen is the only one I can see playing in the NHL next season. Dominated against his peers and played pro hockey. Liljegren can from a physical stand-point but maybe another year of pro hockey in Sweden would serve him well. He had a tough year with being sick

I don't know man, I don't have stats to back it up but going from memory the top 5 picks or so are usually forwards. In 2013 Risto fell to us at #8, and that was a year with Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse.

#8 should historically land you the best, if not second projected best dman in most draft classes I'm pretty sure.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

I'm all about packaging our #8 pick along with something else for an NHL ready top 4 dman. Only exception would be if there is projection of the pick stepping in and bypassing Rochester altogether.

That's what I'm assuming... trade trade trade!

I`ll never understand this way of thinking. Why trade away a guy who could become a top 2Dman or top 6Forward for a guy who is your number 3 or 4?. What the Sabres are missing is a guy to pair with Risto for the next 10 years. maybe its Antipin? Maybe its Guhle? Maybe its the guy you draft at 8. Trading away the pick for a 3/4 isnt solving that.

Now that Antipin seems to be signed, im even more unlikely to want to trade away a top 8 pick.

I think your guess is wrong. the Top 2 will be gone before the Sabres draft IMO. So Id' say there is basically 0 chance of one of them play for the Sabres next season (unless they trade up). Heiskanen is the only one I can see playing in the NHL next season. Dominated against his peers and played pro hockey.  Liljegren can from a physical stand-point but maybe another year of pro hockey in Sweden would serve him well. He had a tough year with being sick 

You forget Makar is now considered to be the best D in draft, so one of the two Heiskanen or Liljegren will drop to us I think.

Heiskanen is the type of rounded player that typically goes between 5-10 (think Lindholm)

Makar is the type that typically is in the teens on most boards - size, defence, level of competition questions - but will be top five on a few brave lists (think Phil Housley)

Given that this draft is lacking prototype guys, I would be surprised if either is there at 8.

Edited by dudacek

I don't know man, I don't have stats to back it up but going from memory the top 5 picks or so are usually forwards. In 2013 Risto fell to us at #8, and that was a year with Seth Jones and Darnell Nurse.

#8 should historically land you the best, if not second projected best dman in most draft classes I'm pretty sure.

Every draft is different. This year Makar and Heiskanen are top 5 picks. Doesnt mean that Liljegren cant turn out to be the best of the lot.

If the Sabres don`t like Liljegren they will take the top Forward and that may not be a bad thing either. Adding Guhle and Antipin to next years team is already a huge upgrade in the puck moving ability of the D.

Seems like the draft has a lot of good quality to it and is about 20 players deep. It just doesn`t have the Eichel/Mcdavid Laine/Matthews immediate impact to it.

You forget Makar is now considered to be the best D in draft, so one of the two Heiskanen or Liljegren will drop to us I think.

Depends on who you listen to. There is no doubt some teams will have Heiskanen above Makar.

Case in point bob mckenzies lottery edition. http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-hischier-in-tight-race-for-no-1-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.736258

Edited by Crusader1969

Heiskanen is the type of rounded player that typically goes between 5-10 (think Lindholm)

Makar is the type that typically is in the teens on most boards - size, defence, level of competition questions - but will be top five on a few brave lists (think Phil Housley)

Given that this draft is lacking prototype guys, I would be surprised if either is there at 8.

Heikanen, Makar, Liljegren, Valimaki. I haven't seen or read anything that leads me to believe any of them are NHL-ready on day one (Heiskanen and Liljegren could be because of they're playing in the SHL, but even they would benefit from AHL-seasoning to get used to the size of the rink... just like a Ristolainen timetable).

At least one of those four will still be there at 8. Possibly both Valimaki and Liljegren.

I hope we do take a D at 8 because we need top-end D in the system (on ELCs). What can I say, I'm conservative -- we can't have only Guhle and Borgen as our top wave of talent.

Was thinking the same, If I was the gm of Vegas I'd trade back with like St louis for pick #20 and #31.

I think that's too far. You're going from #6 (pretty sure NHL player) to 50/50 at best for each. Sure, odds are you'll get one player out of that, but I'd rather have the guy that goes #6 than take the chance you end up with two. #6 to #8 might make sense. #31 to a couple-three later 2nd and high 3rds, maybe.

I think that's too far. You're going from #6 (pretty sure NHL player) to 50/50 at best for each. Sure, odds are you'll get one player out of that, but I'd rather have the guy that goes #6 than take the chance you end up with two. #6 to #8 might make sense. #31 to a couple-three later 2nd and high 3rds, maybe.

They should definitely stay at #6. Vegas is going to be chock full of mediocre talent with a few decent players. They need to hit on their top picks for the next couple seasons along with a quality free agent or two just to ice a competitive team. Trading down for even bigger gambles in a weak draft would be stupid.

But they also need to stock a farm and need as many tickets in the raffle even if they only win the the consolation prizes.  Get to pick early for the next few years and dropping 2 spots isn’t going to matter much.  They need everything.

But they also need to stock a farm and need as many tickets in the raffle even if they only win the the consolation prizes. Get to pick early for the next few years and dropping 2 spots isn’t going to matter much. They need everything.

LV strategy in the draft will depend on how many extra PPP (players, picks and prospects) they pick up in the expansion draft to take guys like Moulson from us and other teams. I suspect that LV walks away with as many as 40 to 45 PPP from expansion. If McPhee garners a bunch of extra picks, he could be very aggressive moving up in the draft to get as many good players as possible.

I actually think he stays at 6 unless he finds away to move up, but there isn't much separating the players 3-10 in this draft.

Edited by GASabresFan

How is that idiotic? It makes sense. We gave up the most sog in the league last season. Our d was awful. We need to fix it.

Pretty simple really.

totally agree...you gotta identify your weak area and address it and yes i will take a lot, like our 8th and maybe something else but it will be worth it if they can find someone to trade with. remember every team, in the NHL pretty well looks for the same defenceman we are in need of

I didn't get any feedback on the defensemen thread about this yet but I'm really big on Derek Forbort from LA. I'd trade our #8 for him, I'd even sweeten the pot with a later round pick or prospect too.

Not adverse to picking him up for one of our young, unproven wingers.

No way I'm giving 8 for a stay-at-home guy who didn't make the NHL until he was 25 and maxes out as a middle pairing guy.

Why the love?

Harrington wants the new GM to be in win now mode and trade away the 8th pick.  http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/03/mike-harringtons-power-take-sabres-new-gm-deal-first-no-1-pick/

Idiot.

If we can trade our #8 for a NHL ready D man then that is what we need to do

We have no time to wait for a #8 D pick to be NHL ready this year. We best be looking at teams who have plenty of salary cap issues and desperate for draft picks there are a few we should be able to get a good D man

Not adverse to picking him up for one of our young, unproven wingers.

No way I'm giving 8 for a stay-at-home guy who didn't make the NHL until he was 25 and maxes out as a middle pairing guy.

Why the love?

It took him so long to reach the NHL because LA is a tough lineup to crack for a dman. He played very well in his own end last season, is 6'4" and I think hes a gem. I think hed be a solid stay at home lhd for us.

https://realsport101.com/news/sports/nhl/derek-forbort-the-kings-rising-star

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

How is that idiotic? It makes sense. We gave up the most sog in the league last season. Our d was awful. We need to fix it.

Pretty simple really.

No it doesn't.  You can't keep trading away the future for expensive players in a cap world.  You need to draft and develop internal talent to be competitive long term.  We just had a GM who would trade away 1st rd picks and high end prospects at a drop of a hat and look where that got us; 5th worst in the NHL but with an $80 mill payroll.  

It's time for hockey trades.  Trades like Kane for Vatanen.

I agree with Dudacek.  If you want Forbert, one of our excess RW makes the most sense.  However, LA isn't trading him to us or anyone else.  He is one of the few bargain players they have.  

Edited by GASabresFan

No it doesn't. You can't keep trading away the future for expensive players in a cap world. You need to draft and develop internal talent to be competitive long term. We just had a GM who would trade away 1st rd picks and high end prospects at a drop of a hat and look where that got us; 5th worst in the NHL but with an $80 mill payroll.

It's time for hockey trades. Trades like Kane for Vatanen.

I see your point but TM made some good moves with our picks. Did he over pay for Lehner? Most likely. Other. Than that my only beef about him was DB.

Our fan base hasn't seen a playoff series win in 10 years, a playoff appearance in 6. Time to put some sugar in our coffee.

No it doesn't. You can't keep trading away the future for expensive players in a cap world. You need to draft and develop internal talent to be competitive long term. We just had a GM who would trade away 1st rd picks and high end prospects at a drop of a hat and look where that got us; 5th worst in the NHL but with an $80 mill payroll.

This though Im not sure I want to give Up Kane, rather Sam... Kane has fire Sabres need, Sam is too affable... trade Sam for a D if one of the big centers are still available at 8. That being said with Ghule and Antpin coming as well as Austin appearing close to ready... I prefer to stay put, draft a D at eight and maybe trade some of those wingers for an up and coming D from another team. It may take good scouting to evaluate the other teams and find a good dance partner, so I could see Sabres staying put and looking for long run. Edited by North Buffalo

I agree with Dudacek. If you want Forbert, one of our excess RW makes the most sense. However, LA isn't trading him to us or anyone else. He is one of the few bargain players they have.

An excess rw will not get a Forbert trade done for the exact reason you mentioned, hence the need to trade our #8 for him. Mark my words, he's gonna be a solid dman for years. We should move on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.