GDT: Montreal @ Buffalo, 7pm MSG, 10/13/2016

LGR4GM

sabres2.jpg

Kyle Okpso is out 

ROR might be out

Jack Eichel has a high ankle sprain and is out

Auston Matthews who the hockey sports media has fawned over for months just dropped a 4 goal opening night. 

I see how it is hockey gods. Between skates in the crease, lost lotteries, all the injured the defenders, DR incompetence an 4 years of some of the most unwatchable crap hockey ever and you turn around and pull this? Well you know what, to hell with you. 

Your Buffalo Sabres will take on the Montreal Candiens tonight at the Key Bank Arena to open the 2016 season. Carey Price is out. PK Subban in gone. Sam Reinhart is potentially our #1 center. I say we skate with them, I say we stay with, and I say we shut them down because we can. This is our time. Their time is done, it's over. 

I'm sick and tired about hearing what a crappy team the Buffalo Sabres have. This is our time. So if the hockey gods won't help us, I say f##k you, we do it ourselves. Now let's go out there and take it. 

Projected lineup:

Ennis-Reinhart-Kane

Moulson-Girgensons-Fasching

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta/

Des-Grant-Bailey?

Gorges Ristolainen
McCabe Bogosian
Kulikov Franson

Edited by LGR4GM

The hockey gods can suck it. No Goal, the bankruptcy, LaFontaine's concussions (seriously...imagine the difference he could have made in 99?), Black Sunday, the lottery lack of luck, the Babcock tease, Leino, the Connolly injuries...and that's without even thinking hard. We either already have their wrath, or they just don't care. Either way, I'm done caring about appeasing them. Now come with me as I build a golden goat statue.

Alright guys, here's the thing. 

I know it feels like the end of the world. I'm furious about Jack's injury. It sucks. The enjoyment for tomorrow has been severely compromised. 

Then Auston buttmunch Matthews goes and scores FOUR GOALS in a single game. It might take us two or three to get to that. 

Today makes it really hard to remember how excited we are for this team and these players. Sure, Matthews did great. But doing so against a tire-fire defense and still losing shows that the Leafs still have a long way to go. We've already gone through much of what they still have to. We're ready for the next step.

I'm just as bummed as all of you that we don't get to see Jack start the season with his team. But we get to see Reinhart get incredibly important minutes at his natural position (most likely, disco...). These minutes are going to be a reason why we win our cup, in the long run. Sam getting his first taste, and then doing that thing he does - getting better and better at it until he's one of the best. That happens, tonight. Larsson proving that he can put together a full season, being a pest that can score with heavy defensive minutes. That starts, tonight. Rasmus Ristolainen becoming the stud #1D that most of us know he will be, that starts, tonight. Ennis getting back into his groove, Zemgus starting his redemption season, and Lehner proving to the world that he can translate his elite skills into elite results. These things start tonight, these things don't need Jack, and these things are going to win us a cup. 

We are going to have more memories and more excitement than any season in a decade. And Jack will be back soon enough to be a huge part of them. Tonight might be ugly, because of ROR and Okposo, but they'll be back in the lineup in the next couple days. That's 120 points inserted into a lineup that, with them, is better than the team was at any point last season, even with Eichel on the shelf. The team that finished the season at a playoff pace. They WILL be okay without Jack, and they WILL take off to a playoff spot when he comes back. 

Buckle up. It's going to be awesome. 

Today sucked. But make sure you remember how much we've been looking forward to this, and how great it is that hockey is finally back. Thanks to the board for making the summer a little more bearable, and I can't wait to spend my evenings right here, with all of you, and with our Buffalo Sabres.

the hockey gods. the Leafs. Babcock, Matthews, Chara, Price, McDavid. Hull, concussions, holes in the side of the net, high ankle sprains, Lucic, Boychuk, and July 1st, 2007. That stuff is history. The Buffalo Sabres start their trek to greatness today.

LET'S PLAY SOME HOCKEY.

To echo many posters in here, today is proof the hockey gods are Leaf Fans.

Then they are puny gods. Seriously, they have God's on theirs side and can't get a championship since, oh I don't know, like 5 decades ago. Those gods are a bunch of .

I ain't worried. Tonight we play and see what we have. Then we take the week to make adjustments. Then we steamroll the division.

Is O'Reilly playing?  because I have been seeing reports of only Okposo and Eichel out.

Buffalo Hockey Beat (http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-notes-rasmus-ristolainen-happy-contract-done/) says it's likely: 

Sabres center Ryan O’Reilly (back/midsection spasms) practiced Wednesday and will likely play tonight. 

“I think he looked good,” Bylsma said.

Although I read somewhere else (I forget where) that even if he plays tonight his time will be limited and he won't take faceoffs "due to the nature of his injury".

Edited by SabresBaltimore

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.