Derek Grant Signs with Sabres

Brawndo

• 2 months later...

Looks like he'll be a good add for the Amerks. Funny how when the Sabres aren't supposed to stink the Amerks might actually get & keep some talent.

Yup. I remember grumbles last year that the Amerks being terrible was a bad sign for Buffalo because pipeline. In reality the Amerks will be bad until Buffalo is good enough to force talent to stay there for awhile.

Yup. I remember grumbles last year that the Amerks being terrible was a bad sign for Buffalo because pipeline. In reality the Amerks will be bad until Buffalo is good enough to force talent to stay there for awhile.

The Toronto Maple Leafs sucked last year. The Toronto Marlies were very good.

This is what my model comes up with for 2015. It's really made for valuing 17 year olds, but I think it does an OK job comparing AHL players to NHL players. Granted, previously to being sent to the AHL last season, Grant scored in the 400's and 500's, so his partial season last year may be an outlier, but last season, Grant was really good.

I don't have all the Sabres, since I never went back as far as Giota or Moulson.

How to read this. Ryan O'Reilly was 2nd best forward in his draft class, with a 2704 raw score.

2 RYAN O'REILLY NHL 2704

KYLE OKPOSO NHL 2101
3 DEREK GRANT AHL 1755
2 JACK EICHEL NHL 1440
6 SAM REINHART NHL 1227
16 EVANDER KANE NHL 1086
13 TYLER ENNIS NHL 1071
33 HUDSON FASCHING NCAA 770
38 VICTOR OLOFSSON SHL 710
40 GUSTAV POSSLER SHL 692

37 MARCUS FOLIGNO NHL 687
45 JUSTIN BAILEY AHL 645
10 ALEXANDER NYLANDER OHL 611
33 GIORGIO ESTEPHAN WHL 579
44 ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS NHL 568
58 SEAN MALONE NCAA 528

67 JOHAN LARSSON NHL 489
61 ERIC CORNEL OHL 453
65 NICHOLAS BAPTISTE AHL 450
32 RASMUS ASPLUND SHL 387
73 CONNOR HURLEY NCAA 375
111 VACLAV KARABACEK QMJHL 226
114 CHRISTOPHER BROWN NCAA 201

Derek Grant looked really good in last night's game. Granted it is one game in the preseason, but I thought he carried play and made a lot of heady moves around the net. Could be a good find for the Amerks.

He might be beating out Cal O'Reilly for 4C/13th forward.

The write-up in the local paper makes it quite clear that Grant came here because he's a GM TM guy, that GM TM told Grant he would have every chance to make the roster here (the writer characterized it as there being a single forward position available), and that Hot Daniel could not be more pleased with his play to this point.

With Grant charting toward a 4C slot, I wonder how that affects the positions played by Larsson and Girgensons. (Pardon any misspellings - I won't have those down for several weeks.)

My question is Derek Grant really suited for 4th line duty. He seems like an offensive guy. Which is fine but if he poops on himself in the D zone, I don't think he really fits.

More to my point:

Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart all fit top 2 center material

Larsson, Girgensons fit bottom six center criteria

So where does that leave Grant, Cal O'Reilly, or whoever

Edited by inkman

My question is Derek Grant really suited for 4th line duty. He seems like an offensive guy. Which is fine but if he poops on himself in the D zone, I don't think he really fits.

More to my point:

Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart all fit top 2 center material

Larsson, Girgensons fit bottom six center criteria

So where does that leave Grant, Cal O'Reilly, or whoever

Defensively responsible, "shut down" third line of Foligno - Larsson - Gionta.

Hybrid 4th line that gets more minutes than usual, of Girgensons - Grant - Bailey.

That would be a solid 4th line.

Moulson and Deslauriers ride the pine.

Edited by Thorny

From what I've read about Grant is that he's a hard worker with size and is defensively responsible.

Didn't see anything last night to contradict that.

Edited by dudacek

Larsson and Girgensons. (Pardon any misspellings - I won't have those down for several weeks.)

I love you for this but it's not like any internet cowboys get irate about this kind of stuff. (get it right a hole!)  :w00t: 

It really doesn't matter much given that it's a depth/AHL signing, but Murray sure does love dealing with Ottawa and ex-Ottawa players a lot.  "He likes his own guys way too much" was a common complaint with Regier, but operating that way is way more common than we think.  It's amazing to see how these guys develop their own little network that they wind up dealing with constantly.  It probably sheds a lot of light onto the annual question from each fanbase of why we couldn't make that same trade since our trade chips were better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.