Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

After an evening of mulling it over, here's where I end up on this. Its no guarantee he signs here. If it was, Murray wouldn't have spent the pick. I also highly doubt he would have spent the pick if he knew that Vesey was going to UFA no matter what. He's smart and connected, I trust him on this stuff. Even if he doesn't sign before UFA, you give yourself an extra 2 months-ish to convince him its the right move. He gets to meet the Pegulas, and Dan Bylsma, and see the facilities. He can come to development camp (obviously he might not, but he CAN anyways). He can see the city. Eichel doesn't have to give him a nudge and a wink everytime he mentions playing here. 

Buffalo's 3rd round picks from 2005-2011 (Giving a 5 year leeway to avoid speculative projections):

2005 - Marc-Andre Gragnani - D -74 GP

2007 - Corey Tropp - RW - 148 GP

2008 - Corey Fienhage - D - 0 GP

2009 -  Brayden McNabb - D - 114 GP

2010 - Jerome Gauthier-Leduc - D - 0 GP

2010 - Kevin Sundher - C - 0 GP

2010 - Matt Mackenzie - D - 0GP

2011 - Daniel Catenacci - C - 0GP

There is no one on that list I wouldn't trade straight up for Vesey at the height of their value. McNabb comes the closest. Of course, Vesey himself was a 3rd round pick, but I'm just giving context.

If it works, its a coup, if not then I won't lose any sleep over it. This is absolutely the type of risk you buy yourself when you accumulate the amount of picks the Sabres have over the last 5 or so years. 

Very nice. May I ask where these are from?

I hate that jingle/commercial so much, but this is most excellent.

I found it on original six analytics website posted in December 2015.  They have very interesting reads.

Claude_Verret, on 20 Jun 2016 - 8:58 PM, said:

I hope I'm wrong and he signs, but I still say guys with options don't want to come here. Because Buffalo exists when it comes to free agents.

I think this (old) view of Buffalo and the Sabres is up for a challenge this summer.  Let's get through July and see if it stands.  Between the city and its doings, and the Pegulas and their doings, and Murray and his doings, a lot has changed.

I think this (old) view of Buffalo and the Sabres is up for a challenge this summer. Let's get through July and see if it stands. Between the city and its dongs, and the Pegulas and their dongs, and Murray and his dongs, a lot has changed.

:Ph34r:

Risk? We gave up a 15 per cent opportunity to draft Corey Tropp.

You dream of getting a Jimmy Vesey level prospect with a third-rounder.

What seems to be overlooked here is how Tim Murray just bought himself some time.

He thinks he can sign him, obviously. He has some inside indication of that, almost certainly.

But he can't afford to wait around until August to find out for sure.

By that time Stamkos has already been signed and Nash has already been traded.

Vesey signs, all of a sudden it's a lot easier to let go of Tyler Ennis or Zemgus Girgensons in a trade.

All of a sudden you don't need to pay a premium for Jordan Eberle, or to rush Justin Bailey into the lineup.

All of sudden you feel a lot more comfortable drafting Chychrun over Nylander.

A good GM identifies the pieces he wants, he lays the groundwork and then goes out and gets them.

And if he whiffs, he tries again. Because champions aren't built without pushing the envelope.

The Darcy Regiers of the NHL sit on their hands and wait for value to pop lose in the bargain bin.

They win trades and collect assets while winners build teams.

Thank god we have a real GM.

It was never "but Buffalo" it was about having people in charge who expected nothing better.

Edited by dudacek

A good GM identifies the pieces he wants, he lays the groundwork and then goes out and gets them.

And if he whiffs, he tries again. Because champions aren't built without pushing the envelope.

The Darcy Regiers of the NHL sit on their hands and wait for value to pop lose in the bargain bin.

It was never "but Buffalo" it was about having people in charge with that expectation.

Amen brother!  :beer:

Darcy is still waiting for the market to set which you can see by todays activity is still unclear. Time to sit on your hands if your name would be Darcy.

Once every week or two, and sometimes only once a month or so, I'm at a place where I don't get internet. I've been at this place now for the Vesey-rights-trade, the Miller trade, the O'Reilly trade, the Kane trade, and a few other random moments that I had to read pages and pages of Sabrespace to catch up on big news. You're welcome, everyone. What a nice thing to come back to.

Sizzle, you never disappoint with these things :lol:

Once every week or two, and sometimes only once a month or so, I'm at a place where I don't get internet. I've been at this place now for the Vesey-rights-trade, the Miller trade, the O'Reilly trade, the Kane trade, and a few other random moments that I had to read pages and pages of Sabrespace to catch up on big news. You're welcome, everyone. What a nice thing to come back to.

Go back there for the draft and the start of free agency. Thanks.

Risk? We gave up a 15 per cent opportunity to draft Corey Tropp.

You dream of getting a Jimmy Vesey level prospect with a third-rounder.

What seems to be overlooked here is how Tim Murray just bought himself some time.

He thinks he can sign him, obviously. He has some inside indication of that, almost certainly.

But he can't afford to wait around until August to find out for sure.

By that time Stamkos has already been signed and Nash has already been traded.

Vesey signs, all of a sudden it's a lot easier to let go of Tyler Ennis or Zemgus Girgensons in a trade.

All of a sudden you don't need to pay a premium for Jordan Eberle, or to rush Justin Bailey into the lineup.

All of sudden you feel a lot more comfortable drafting Chychrun over Nylander.

It was never "but Buffalo" it was about having people in charge who expected nothing better.

This was a very well thought out post. Well done

A+ Sizzle  :lol:  :lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.